|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 15k BTU on 2200 watt generator

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As no one has yet suggested the following, I will.

Contact Micro Air directly and ask them your question. They will work with you to select a generator that will do the job. They have tested many of the smaller generators with their product, and they can advise you as to which ones can do the job and which ones cannot. They are incredibly helpful.

-Speak

It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 10:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 of the 2200's would easily do the job.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two 2000's would easily do the job also.

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"What is better about an OHC design?"

Among other things not already listed, when you have a DOHC (or Dual Overhead Cam) design, it allows both the intake and exhaust cams to be timed differently (varied to each other) at different RPM's. Honda's VTEC engine to name one. That option allows the engineers to optimize the valve timing for the entire range of RPM's allowing the engines to generate substantially more power with minimal flat spots in the power curve. That's for complex high performance engines which typically generators are not. OHC's also make it easier to have 3, 4, and 5 valves per cylinder which can be done with OHV engines, but not as easily. Now, . . . back to your regularly scheduled program.

Chum lee

marcsbigfoot20b27

Phx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 04:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First off , 79 cc engine vs 121 cc engine.
Rated output is at sea level, probably 59 degrees F.
Now go to 115 degrees and or 9000 ft and see if the smaller engine still makes the rated power. I think a Honda went big on the engine to satisfy more variables.

Now about OHV vs OHC.
All car/truck engines ( not rotaries )besides flat head fords are over head valves, they use center block cams and pushrods and rocker arms. With this design you can make a more narrow engine because the heads are not as wide or tall. Going OHV you can stuff a V8 in a small car like a corvette.

OHC engines do great at higher rpms and the heads flow more within 4 or 5 valves per cylinder. Most new cars especially 4 or v6 are “hemispheric”. They get good mileage and make more power up top. Go with a big engine bay like a truck and stuff a DOHC engine like a hemi style and you are really cooking, just need space and it costs more to make.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 04:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What generator runs dual cams and 8,000+ rpm? Does Ferrari make generators?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1957 Chevrolet, 283 Cubic inches. 1957 Ford, 312 Cubic inches. If you ever raced either one, you will know a little about engine size, power, and efficiency, In case you weren't around, the smaller engine prevailed. The saying was that the only way to get a Ford to go fast was to push it off a cliff.

marcsbigfoot20b27

Phx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 08:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

What generator runs dual cams and 8,000+ rpm? Does Ferrari make generators?

I might enjoy listening to a Ferrari generator if it sounded like their cars, lol.

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/19 10:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

2 of the 2200's would easily do the job.
TomG2 wrote:

Two 2000's would easily do the job also.
Not sure what job you're referring to. But, for anyone considering the purchase of a 2nd EU2x00i (to parallel with another EU2x00i) it's important to keep in mind what you are getting and what you're not getting. Paralleling two Honda EU2x00i's will double the continuous current output, but it will not double the inrush current output. When two EU2x00i's are paralleled the inrush current only increases 10-15% (vs. one EU2xxxi). What this means, if you're powering non-inductive loads (heater, lights, etc.), then yes you're going to get twice the performance with two EU2xxxi's. However, if you're powering inductive loads (i.e., an a/c compressor, electric motor, etc.) with significant inrush requirements, you'll only get 10-15% improvement in "start" (inrush current) performance--which is not a lot.

In testing I've found two EU2000i's begin to have difficulty starting an RV a/c unit with the Eco mode on when the LRA gets much higher than 60 amps or so. With the Eco mode turned off, it does well starting a/c units with an LRA up to approx. 65 amps. Above that, it's hit or miss. One EU2000i, with the Eco mode on, can start an a/c with an LRA up to approx. 50 amps. With the Eco mode off, slightly better at 53-55 amps.

Disclaimer (to keep the generator police at bay--lol!): You may or may not find these results applicable to your specific application. Operating conditions can change these results dramatically (temperature, humidity, altitude, generator condition, a/c condition, etc.).

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/19 10:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

You can likely start it, but then it's the job of keeping it running that will really work the gen hard.

X2 the genny will be begging for mercy at wide open throttle. Get a Champion 3400 for about the same money

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 15k BTU on 2200 watt generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS