RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: AIRSTREAM - what makes them so expensive?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> AIRSTREAM - what makes them so expensive?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/19 02:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just Google "Premium pricing" and you will begin to learn how prices are set. The actual costs involved in building a product is just a part of the equation.

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/19 03:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Just Google "Premium pricing" and you will begin to learn how prices are set. The actual costs involved in building a product is just a part of the equation.

Correct. There people who buy the most expensive item available.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 03:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't get why any one that camped a lot would want one. They have much less room inside than a same size regular TT.
I guess it'a all about the name. Me, I don't buy anything based on name.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not suggesting Airstream's are a good value for the price. However they tend to last longer than conventionally built trailers.
There is a market for used Airstreams. Simply because there are old Airstreams still around in some sort of salvageable/rebuildable condition.
Conventional trailers do not have the longevity record that Airstream has.
Airstreams are still viable long after conventional units have disintegrated.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/19 04:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think Chris Bryant has one with a couple hundred thousand miles on it.

None of the Elkhart junk could do that.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/19 05:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because people will pay it.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

NWnative

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/19 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I paid as much for my previous Class C Motorhome as I did for the Airstream. Fit and finish has been top notch and it's one of the most stable towing platforms out there due to low center of gravity and shape. There are more used Airstreams on the road than any other brand. Yes...they do require some maintenance and internal items can wear out however, they are also amongst the most customizable out there if you have the time and money. Been RV'ing for 30 years.....had a pop up, travel trailer, fifth wheel, Class C, and now the Airstream. I have no doubt it will outlast me......One of the best built and most durable RV's I have owned.

2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/19 07:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No doubt they are of good quality. I'm sure better than most other trailers being built.

However, just because they are riveted, doesn't mean there isn't stuff that doesn't work loose.

Friend of mine who we RV a lot with bought a used 1991 34 ft long behemoth, triple axle model. Twice while we have been caravaning together to football games, we'd had to stop to fix some sheet metal, or rock shields that have come loose. One of the required tools he carries is a rivet gun.

So, in due course, even Airstreams have repair issues on structural components.

KD4UPL wrote:

Airstreams are all metal, no wood to rot. They are welded and riveted so there's really nothing to ever work lose. They don't require caulking either. They are built basically like an automobile, or, really more like an airplane. That takes a lot more expensive materials and a lot more workmanship. Of course, they also last for many decades. I'd love to have one but I just can't spend the money.

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Dachshund (RIP)
www.thetravelingkoala.blogspot.com
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg

And Blue Ox WDH/Sway Control

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/19 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

I don't get why any one that camped a lot would want one. They have much less room inside than a same size regular TT.
I guess it'a all about the name. Me, I don't buy anything based on name.

After 10 years with a Class C, we downsized to a 23' Airstream in 2017. Couldn't be happier.

We didn't buy it for roominess. When camping, we don't spend much time in it. We sleep, shower, and cook in it. Otherwise we are outside.

We bought it because we want it to last 20 years, then be handed down to one of our kids. With an Airstream, getting routine care, that is possible. I don't know of any other brand that can claim that.

As far as camping a lot, last year we left home on Aug 28 for a trip to the 4 corners area. We got back home on Oct 10. That is 6 weeks on the road.

This year, we will be doing a 6 week trip up the northeast coast. When we get home, we will stay there 2 or 3 weeks, then do a 6 week trip down the southeast coast. That will be 12 weeks on the road.

That does not include the once a month that we camp with a Good Sam Club (when we are not on the road).

Everyone has their own preferences. Personally, we don't understand getting a huge RV, limiting the places you can get into, when the idea is to get out and enjoy nature. However, we don't put down the people who prefer to carry every convenience they have at home when they camp. Some of the people in our club have 40+' diesel pushers. That is fine. For them.

What we wanted, and got, was a TT big enough to have a full bath, queen size walk around bed, full kitchen, and dinette big enough for two to eat at comfortably. More than that would have been a waste for us.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 05:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No matter which brand is being talked about in these types of threads, the people who don't have that particular brand are always the ones to throw shade on it, or refer to one owned by a "friend".

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> AIRSTREAM - what makes them so expensive?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS