RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: AIRSTREAM - what makes them so expensive?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> AIRSTREAM - what makes them so expensive?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
2oldman

Salton Sea

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 08:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

.. the people who don't have that particular brand are always the ones to throw shade on it,...
..or call it overpriced or buying a brand...as if buying good quality is foolish.

* This post was edited 02/11/19 08:43am by 2oldman *

RamRider

Central Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 10:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 25FB is our third TT, and we have no plans to upgrade again.
1) moderate weight and are easy and very stable to pull
2) interior comfort. the 25FB model and up have an inside width of 8 feet 1 inch. Which actually roomer then our former TT with a small slide out.
3) Adequate interior storage.
4) lots of big windows!
5) you can get optional 2nd ac and 50 amp (this is a must have for southern states)
6) Overall very solidly built
7) twin bed option for 25 FB and up (25FB are actually about 26 ft long)
27FB have walk around beds or twin beds (and are about 28 ft long)
8) bathroom and shower on opposite side of hall (most models)
the fuel economy while pulling is more consistent and not as affected by wind, I would not buy any tt in hopes of better fuel economy. Ours seems to be about 5-8% better on the average,

a few downsides limited underneath storage for large items.
Rear bedroom models have suicide doors - This would be models like 25RB etc
Interior pop rivets can pop out and need replacing - in our case one or two a year.
New cost can be high (understatement) we purchased ours used, but cost was still double new conventional TT.

We pull it around 10-12,000 miles per year; where ever we stop we always get comments and questions about our experience.

2014 Airstream 25FB
2016 Ram
Blue Ox Sway Pro
ARE Topper

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 10:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

No matter which brand is being talked about in these types of threads, the people who don't have that particular brand are always the ones to throw shade on it, or refer to one owned by a "friend".

In addition no matter which brand is being talked about in these types of threads, you always have the people who claim whatever brand they purchased is the best thing to ever come down the pike. They're afflicted with Branditis-Whatihavehastobebestosis.

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 11:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsteve wrote:

Same reason a Harley-Davidson is so expensive.

I want to agree with this, but Harley-Davidsons do compete favorably with their competitors these days. In my opinion, Airstream does not. All RVs are poorly built. Airstreams look cool, but other than that, they offer nothing over any other RV and they are massively overpriced. They rely on the appearance of quality and their brand alone to justify the high price.

salem

Central Valley, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Saw what I thought was a new AirStream when we were camping a few weeks ago. That thing was so bright and shiny I just new it had to be fresh from the factory. I talked to the owner and learned it was a 1971 model he had just had detailed. Pretty impressive. But, like others have said, out of my price range.

2oldman

Salton Sea

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 02:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

salem wrote:

Pretty impressive. But, like others have said, out of my price range.
I like honest answers.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 04:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe I missed something, but it has to be said: they are beautiful objects. Like a Maserati, or a Lear Jet, or a classic racing yacht. To some people, that is worth a lot of money, and there is no substitute for the way an Airstream looks.

Having said that, I am not one of those people. But those people are not irrational. Thank heavens we live in a country where folks are free to buy what they want.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 05:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

salem wrote:

Saw what I thought was a new AirStream when we were camping a few weeks ago. That thing was so bright and shiny I just new it had to be fresh from the factory. I talked to the owner and learned it was a 1971 model he had just had detailed. Pretty impressive. But, like others have said, out of my price range.

Your comments sum up why they are so expensive. They last a 1971 unit can be polished up to like new conditioned. Yes they still need to be maintained, but they are built to last.
None of our current units will last 50 years!

2019 Duramax w/hips,12 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Clicck

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

Airstreams are all metal, no wood to rot. They are welded and riveted so there's really nothing to ever work lose. They don't require caulking either. They are built basically like an automobile, or, really more like an airplane. That takes a lot more expensive materials and a lot more workmanship. Of course, they also last for many decades. I'd love to have one but I just can't spend the money.

The only thing aluminum are the exterior body panels. Your $50,000 + camper has cheap wood floors and a steel frame.

Spend some time on the airforums and you'll see they have just as many problems as a $10,000 camper.

Remember this is a Thor brand, airstreams are as cheap as everything else they build so as long as you are wowed by the history, the look, and nice interior then manufacturing, materials, and engineering don't matter.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> AIRSTREAM - what makes them so expensive?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS