RV.Net Open Roads Forum: FastGuns / Hallmark - how to provide extra camper security?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> FastGuns / Hallmark - how to provide extra camper security?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe no HJ mounts are made for the aluminum bed.
In that case, only Torklift or homemade mounts remain.
But FastGuns are not needed with either, they just make life a little easier.

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

What stevenal said ^.

And fwiw, maybe reconsider removing the camper jacks. Not sure why one would do that anyway, save for doing some 4 wheeling where they could get damaged.
The pros of having jacks on the camper outweigh the cons by like 100:1.
Flat tires, truck needs repairs, using camper as home base and having a “normal” vehicle to drive around, etc.

we will pretty much never need to use the truck as a regular vehicle.....

we generally would not take the camper off the truck when camping

i would think that i could jack up the truck with the camper on it to change a flat tire - ?

and.... yes, repairs could well need it to be removed....

yes we will do some off roading

so perhaps we could tuck the jacks inside the large cab? on the floor.
to have in case of emergency..... but out of the way....

:-)

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have HJ quick-loads, pretty much the same thing as fastguns, and just use the pin, no locks. Done that for over 10 years now and lived in southern california for most of it...no problem. If they want your stuff...they're going to get it, buy insurance.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I prefer having the locks on FastGun turnbuckles so no one releases one while parked or they get stolen for scrap metal value.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you were gonna take your camper jacks along, you could remove them and put them across the floor of your truck... but why would you?? Why not leave them on their mounts, out of your way and ready to use if needed?
You might want to try jacking up the rear of your truck with your camper on and see if your jack is up to the task before taking them off. A flat tire would be a lot bigger hassle than it should be if the jack won’t lift it.
Dropping the jacks is also nice for stabilizing the camper when parked for the night, although it isn’t necessary.

I almost wonder if you had gotten the impression the Fastgun locks were for locking the camper to the truck. I guess technically they do that, but the purpose of them is so no one swipes your $800 tiedowns. I use the locks for that reason.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/19 12:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also make sure you can access the spare without lifting the camper slightly off the bed.

Optimistic Paranoid

East Nowhere NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/19 02:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The jack that came with your truck will most likely be totally inadequate for changing a tire with the camper on. I bought a 6 ton bottle jack with accessories from Safe-Jack:

https://safejacks.com/collections/bottle........ottle-jack-recovery-kit-with-bottle-jack

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/19 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you remove the jacks and store them in the truck maybe try to cover them. That's inviting someone to smash a window and steal them.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2014 Montana High Country 305RL
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/19 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Optimistic Paranoid wrote:

The jack that came with your truck will most likely be totally inadequate for changing a tire with the camper on. I bought a 6 ton bottle jack with accessories from Safe-Jack:

https://safejacks.com/collections/bottle........ottle-jack-recovery-kit-with-bottle-jack

I’ve changed 14 or 15 flats all with the camper on using that little screw jack that came with the truck, no problems whatsoever even a bit sideways on a hill. Yes, the number is correct, that includes cracking 4 wheels and why I went to forged aluminum.

And for 4wheeling I undo the rear jacks and move them up in the bracket holes to where the foot of the jack is at the bottom of the camper. I agree to keeping them on.

And...if you’ve never had anything stolen vehicle wise you might not understand the need to take as many precautions as possible to prevent theft even for a few minutes.

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/19 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Optimistic Paranoid wrote:

I keep hearing this assertion here, and never backed up. Do manufacturers really provide jacks incapable of lifting a truck loaded to its ratings? Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen, if it hasn't happened already. While powered camper jacks can be used easily enough to take the weight off, other loads are not so easy to deal with.

'18 Bigfoot 1500
Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> FastGuns / Hallmark - how to provide extra camper security?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS