RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Just waiting for the bubble to explode.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Just waiting for the bubble to explode.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bipeflier

Centralia, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We attended a RV show here in Missouri recently. It was the first day, which usually is busy with old folks that don't have to go to work.

This year appeared to us that is was about half the crowd of previous years. No waiting to get into any of the display units. Sales guys were latching on to anyone who stood still.

2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like other's I'm hoping for a slowdown in RV sales. When my wife and first started camping in 2005, we went to Florida over Christmas and New Years and found sites without prior reservations. We could just pick up and go on a nice weekend, or take a couple days off and go where we wanted.

Now we have to plan months in advance for some of our favored local spots. They are perpetually busy and have slacked on upkeep, because they are busy and aren't as worried with upkeep. Our Florida trip requires planning a year in advance, and we haven't been able to get a campsite the previous 2 years. We finally got back to the top of the waitlist and got a spot for this year.

I don't want campgrounds to lose money... but its obvious that several of our preferred parks simply don't spend as much money on upkeep. Campgrounds have lost some of that family feel and have turned more into a party area. It is what it is though, so I am sure there is a downturn coming soon. Personally I welcome it a little...

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every time somebody ties down an old fifth wheel, or installs a park model or mobile home, those lots are not available for RV's. There are actually less RV sites available in Florida than there were fifteen years ago, Have you seen any new parks lately? I am glad to see people buying RV's, keeps the resale up on mine. Also glad to see people joining in on the fun.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since there aren't hardly any new State of Federal CG's, people must be using membership places like Coast to Coast and Thousand Trails more than ever.
Otherwise I just can't figure out where they're going.
All our state CG's are nearly 100% booked 9 mos in advance and have been for years. I don't suppose they tell first time RV buyers about that though..

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Booking sites at the popular places has been rough for a long time, well before the previous slowdown and rebound.

I've already got sites booked for our two big summer trips (I'm a worker bee, I get limited time off so I plan ahead!). It is frustrating that we can't do last minute trips to the coast like we used to, but it's been that way for at least 10 years now. Don't see it changing even if (when?) there's another downturn.

As to a refund, lol. I haven't had a refund in years. If you do, you're doing it wrong. Have them hold out less so you owe THEM at the end instead of them owing you with zero interest.

The new tax code is not going to do me any favors, but life goes on. Hey, at least gas is still stupid cheap right?

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sadly in the Myrtle Beach CGs. IF you don't already have your reservations for a oceanfront park this summer. You more than likely ain't gong this summer. It has gotten to the point, you have to make reservations 12 to 18 months out to get a site.

And the same goes for many of the more popular mountain CGs. You have to reserve really early to get a site. Sort of takes some of the fun out of it.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Copy/paste article but no link?
Why is the OP so obsessed with this RV "bubble"?
Tax refund? What the world is that?

2017 Chevrolet 2500 Duramax Crew Cab Z71
2014 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 6.7 Cummins w/ Aisin, Flatbed
2018 Grand Design Reflection 150 Series 290BH w/ B & W Companion (T/O Ball)
Old Rig:
2005 Wildcat 29BHBP w/ Andersen UH (Aluminum, lowered version for flatbed)
SBGTF

Charlie D.

E. Texas-Orange

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see one of the reasons parks are full is because people have decided to live in them full time. They are not full timers as they never move and campers are older and many FEMA trailers from Hurricane Katrina era and other reasons. Cheaper than rent.

Massive building in the chemical industry is going on in Houston east to Lake Charles. A new LNG plant was announced last week to be build in the Sabine Pass, Texas area. 4-5 years of construction, 10 billion dollars, 9,000 workers and 200+ permanent workers. This is in addition to existing LNG plants east of Sabine Pass and in Louisiana being built or expanding. Mobil announced an expansion at it's Beaumont refinery. $10 billion. Upon completion they will have FIFTY billion dollars invested there.

My point is-there are RV parks popping up everywhere for the workers, they are buying newer rigs, living in a park for $450/month and if wise making millions. Buses are used to transport them to and from the job site. Some as far as 15 miles.

Friend posted an ad on Facebook several months ago that a LNG plant was looking for welders. 12 hour day, 1 1/2 time after 8 and double time on Sundays plus per diem. One day per week off and 3 years guaranteed. I can not remember the exact hourly wage but I added it up and a certified welder could make $300,000 per year.

Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Off topic but...

You couldn't pay me enough to be a welder. One of the most boring jobs on earth. Not talking about actually building something or fixing up cars etc.
These jobs usually mean hours of welding the same thing in a straight line for days on end. Turns your head to mush.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, 12 hours/day, and 6 days/week. That is no way to live. Wear a respirator or inhale some seriously nasty fumes. I might do it long enough to find another job, but not for very darned long.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Just waiting for the bubble to explode.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS