RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Stand-alone GPS or smartphone?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Stand-alone GPS or smartphone?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like our GPS mounted on the dash that I can glance at without taking my eyes off the road for more than an instant.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our primary GPS is a Garmin Nuvi, and I have the Co-Pilot app on my phone as a backup. No matter which GPS setup you use, never set the options for the "Shortest route" or similar. Instead, use the "Fastest route" or similar setting. The shortest route can follow the cows to the barn if it saves a few feet, while the fastest route may be a bit longer but will save time, usually by routing over better roads. That "Shortest route" setting is what got at least one of those families that were trapped in snow on unmaintained forest service roads in trouble along with their lack of common sense.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

lhenry8113

Cypress or Lake Arrowhead, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For us the GPS is the way to go. Our Magellen RoadMate has a 7" screen, Audio is great as well as the mapping directions. Works well with Detour routes, too.

04 F250,CC, 4x4, Dsl., LgBd, XLT, SuperDuty, Cmpr Pkg, Off Rd Pkg

07 Arctic Fox 29 5T
Toad Riv B.C.
17 Chev/CLS C F.R. Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After spending a small fortune on various stand alone GPS systems and facing another purchase for a new RV Garmin I tried the Copilot app for $6.99 which allows you to input your height for low bridges and stay away from propane restricted areas. This is automatically updated unlike my previous Garmin's. You don't need cell service for for your phone gps systems to work. Maps are downloaded and your cell phone has a built in GPS. For me it was an easy decision $600 vs $6.99. I mount my phone using an old Garmin suction cup mount.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

I prefer using a cell phone--but there are times when there is no cell signal--in mountains etc.

GPS uses a satellite signal, not a cell network signal.

I routinely use my smart phone GPS when I'm WELL out of cell service. As a pilot I'm often "out of service" at only a few thousand feet up.

You just have to have the map database on the phone itself instead of something that needs to fetch the maps as you move along.

pinesman

virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use my phone sometimes for specific things near where I am at. However, if you mount your phone and leave it working the entire time, it will burn a mountain of data. Don't ask me how I know. I have also run into the problem of no reception at the one place I need it to work. I know they may not be the favorite on here but I have never had a problem with my TomTom

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

I prefer using a cell phone--but there are times when there is no cell signal--in mountains etc.

a Garmin gps is my preferred device.
some of you are addicted to your "smart" phone however.
bumpy

Airdaile

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Android tablet on a Verizon data plan with CoPilot RV and Waze running all the time. The issue with a standalone GPS is that you freeze yourself in the tech timeline. If come out with some new tech, you usually can't just update a standalone unit. With a tablet, just download the new app.

EV2

South Dakota/Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

GPS uses a satellite signal, not a cell network signal.

I routinely use my smart phone GPS when I'm WELL out of cell service. As a pilot I'm often "out of service" at only a few thousand feet up.

You just have to have the map database on the phone itself instead of something that needs to fetch the maps as you move along.

True, but you better have a ton of memory available for the maps if you wish to have the whole country unless you want to continually swap data maps with destinations around the country:

garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Garmin for the majority of our driving and major guide, but in conjunction with our android tablet and ATT hot spot. Paper maps are also still onboard. The tablet really comes in handy for fine tuning the final turns, etc, but also eats up the data. Tablet is also better, IMHO, than the GPS for finding eateries on/near the route.
So yes, we use both.

Our Phoenix Cruiser 2100, "Bob", has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Stand-alone GPS or smartphone?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS