RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Stand-alone GPS or smartphone?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Stand-alone GPS or smartphone?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
chiefneon

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy!

I use my tablet and cellular phone with Co-Pilot gps app. Once you down load the app and maps cellular data connection is no longer needed unless you want to use live traffic. I see no need to purchase a stand alone gps.

Co-Pilot RV gps app

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

bpounds

Senile, er I mean

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clearly some of you only use your navigation system to guide you to a location. Of course that is the primary purpose, and the cell phone works good for that. Staying up to date as well as updating based on traffic is where the cell phone shines.

As a boondocker, I have campsites stored in my Garmin from 10 or more years ago. As well as intersections for obscure dirt roads to fishing or hunting locations that are really hard to find in the dark, and those locations where my memory would fail. It's awful to not be able to find some place that you loved from 5 years ago.

That's where the Garmin shines for me. My database has grown pretty large, but it is a single file on the GPS unit that I can backup and that can be moved to a new device when the time comes. It can even be read and translated if a future format should come along. GPS used to be a hot ticket for thieves, but seems they don't bother with them much anymore, but I would be very heartbroken if my database disappeared. So I back it up to PC now and then, but should do it more often.

By the way, my old S4 Galaxy GPS does not work without cell coverage. But I know the new ones do.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EV2 wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

I prefer using a cell phone--but there are times when there is no cell signal--in mountains etc.

GPS uses a satellite signal, not a cell network signal.

I routinely use my smart phone GPS when I'm WELL out of cell service. As a pilot I'm often "out of service" at only a few thousand feet up.

You just have to have the map database on the phone itself instead of something that needs to fetch the maps as you move along.

True, but you better have a ton of memory available for the maps if you wish to have the whole country unless you want to continually swap data maps with destinations around the country:

I guess it depends on your definition of a “ton”. All of North America in amazing detail is ~2GB of data.

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use both a cell phone, map, and a Garmin 760 gps with my rv profile. I also fly so may just be a habit and allways have a backup plus a paper map..
The cell phone is supposedly more up to date even tho I do update quarterly.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While it is true the cell phone gps is satellite based, and will work without a cell signal, mine will not create a new route without the phone connecting to a tower.

I wish that Microsoft Streets and Trips were still being kept up to date.

JaxDad wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

I prefer using a cell phone--but there are times when there is no cell signal--in mountains etc.

GPS uses a satellite signal, not a cell network signal.

I routinely use my smart phone GPS when I'm WELL out of cell service. As a pilot I'm often "out of service" at only a few thousand feet up.

You just have to have the map database on the phone itself instead of something that needs to fetch the maps as you move along.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Shadow Catcher

NW Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The phone used data, the stand alone does not. The GPS works in place you do not have cell reception.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have both and use both. When traveling where I know I am going to need a GPS, I take my Garmin. If I am out and about and suddenly need one, I pull out my smartphone.

The standalone is my go to unit though.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

K3WE

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/19 01:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love the real time traffic updates and routing, and ice that the maps are more up to date and a much more huge and searchable database on the phone.

Downside? A phone call can disrupt your map and directions at bad times.

pbeverly

South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/19 03:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always used Tom Tom standalones but when it died I decided to test some Cell Phone android apps. I tried google maps, Waze (owned by google) and Tom Tom android app. I chose Tom Tom apps. The full map is downloaded to the phone so losing cell phone signal is not a problem. My problem is Waze and G-Maps are fine for a pre-planned trip, but if you are on a whim and want to start something NOT planned and have no signal, you are out of luck, that is not a problem with the Tom Tom app as the map is on your phone. Tom Tom is not free, it is $23 a year and they update the maps 4x a year. Sometimes you get what you pay for which in this case $23 is a small price for a very dependable GPS. Also better than the $100s you spend on a stand alone. I have also like the maps on Tom Tom, so I also get what I am used to. Good lane guidance and map zooms in when upcoming turns coming giving you a good view of what you need to do.

Ridgeway, SC

04fxsts

Westville, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/19 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wife loves her phone and I hate it. Too small for me to see well so am now using an older I-pad with C0-Pilot and am very happy with it. I do have a couple things I don't like that much with this set up. Sometimes if I decide to take a road I am familiar with to miss traffic or a detour it doesn't like to reroute, keeps wanting you to go back to the original route. Sometimes when I am familiar with parts of the route it is hard to get it to take the routes I want. Get around this by splitting the trip into sections and that works fine.
Something that is related to the I-pad it's self is even though I keep it plugged into a charging port if driving all day it uses more charge than it is getting. So by the end of the day it will be dead and needs to be shut off and recharged. I know I could shut it down while on long stretches of open interstate but really prefer it left on. Having a MH once we decided to make a quick stop for the driver which happened to be me for a bathroom break. No problem, pull off on an exit ramp, stop on shoulder and then get right back on. This was one of those places there was no entrance back to the interstate and had to drive a ways to get back on. With the I-pad it will show what the exit and entrance ramps look like. Jim.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Stand-alone GPS or smartphone?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS