RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: How much snow....?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> How much snow....?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
freewayrandy

'Old Hangtown', Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/19 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you allowed to build up on your rig before climbing up and clearing it off? Got real worried with 18+ inches of Sierra cement and finally did it. Wasn't easy but what a relief!

2015 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 2018 Grand Design Momentum 328, 2005 Polaris Sportsman 500, 2018 Polaris RZR 900

Bill1374

northern New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/19 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Way back when, I had a Newmar fifth that stayed north during the winter. We had some big snows that left near 4 foot of snow on the roof. Called Newmar and talked to one of their engineers who advised that that quantity would not be a problem except for the roof vents, particularly when melting started.
Went out and shoveled the roof and felt tired but better.
Now, being retired, i've found that it very rarely snows here in Florida.

KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/19 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might not be an easy answer to find but knowing what the designed live load of the roof would give a person an idea how many pounds per square foot the roof could take. 1 cubic foot of water weighs approx. 62 pounds. So, wet snow versus powder would also make a huge difference.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/19 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super Dave, has the answer! Too bad.....it wasn’t the $64,000 question! [emoticon]

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/19 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine along with a couple hundred other rigs sits in a yard all winter. No one comes and cleans them off.

Never seen a rig flattened yet due to regular snow loads including up along Lake Huron where we kept our camper for a few years.

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/19 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have always thought this way -

ALL those dealers in NW NY State where the lake effect snows get turned on, or anywhere with heavy snow fall for that matter.. NONE get on and clean the roof that I know of...

Since I am still somewhat young, I will use a rubber squeegee if the snow pack gets DEEP.... just to clean off the outter 2' or 3' to allow the water to escape

I always am more concerned with the re freeze and thawing causing water to run into places it usually wouldn't..

Done that once or twice over the years is all....

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/19 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of my buddies parked his motorhome under a metal carport cover. Unfortunately, the cover wasn't rated for much of a snow load, it collapsed and crushed the roof of his motorhome. A case where it would have been better to be uncovered than covered.

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/19 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super_Dave wrote:

Might not be an easy answer to find but knowing what the designed live load of the roof would give a person an idea how many pounds per square foot the roof could take. 1 cubic foot of water weighs approx. 62 pounds. So, wet snow versus powder would also make a huge difference.

Adverage 1inch liquid equals 10" of snow so super daves wt per cu ft 120" for every 10 sq ft at 1 inch of snow on your roof equals 64lbs. or for my rig 1920lbs for every inch of the white stuff.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
17 MS 36 RSSB3
Gone 04 HH DA LS 33.5 RLTG
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/19 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is one of the reasons I pony up and pay for indoor storage for the fiver and boat for the winter. That plus the freeze/thaw cycles and the massive amount of rain we get here on the wet coast. I love how they come out in the spring looking exactly as they went in the fall! [emoticon]

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/19 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Snow load design for RVs is a good question. Houses are built different ways depending on where they are due to anticipated snowfall but since an RV has wheels, no one knows where it will be. Realistically, the roof span is pretty small so it's not hard to just over-build them. Of course, over-build is not a term typically associated with RVs so who knows? Good question though.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> How much snow....?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS