|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Older Motorhome

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/19 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

maillemaker wrote:

Our RV is a 1990 Winnebago Warrior Class C.........Steve
Steve, I commend you for your determination. Many people would have thrown in the towel long ago and replace it with something they can't afford, adding that to their life long pile of debt.

I assume your Warrior is built on a Toyota chassis. If so, make sure your rear drum brakes are adjusted properly so they do their share of stopping power. There are two indications they are not.

1) The front brakes lock up when stopping hard
2) The parking brake works but is ineffective.

Adjusting the brakes costs nothing but your time. THIS POST covers the process in the 3rd page.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

maillemaker

office

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/19 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Ron!

Nope, ours is built on a Ford E350 chassis. Ours is the WF327RT model. To big for the little Toyota, probably! [emoticon]

Steve

1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/19 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a very good chance that my response will be the oldest coach, maybe not by miles though. The coach is a 1973 GMC it shows 78K and I have records from PO that show that this is the second time around. We have done 70+ of that. The coach was down a lot of last year because a piston broke. I could have bought a replacement engine, but I don't let people I don't know touch my engines and everybody I used to trust retired if they made it.....

Point being, I do the maintenance.
Grease is cheaper than parts.
You want the coach to run forever?
You want the coach to be reliable?
Get the manuals, learn to do what it needs. You cannot pay someone to be as conscientious as is required. If something is a little off, put it on the list to get at least looked at if not repaired.
Chaumière will be going a thousand miles in a few weeks and the backhaul will be half again more.

An older coach requires love. Just like your senior dog. If you aren't ready, buy something newer and get ready to trade off to new problems regularly.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

sullivanclan

Grand Junction, Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/19 12:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We purchased our 16 yr old motorhome about four years ago used. Now with 48,000 miles. Focused a lot on maintenance and will do tires this year and rear brakes. If I suspect something, I get it checked right away. No issues to date for our Ford 450. I look at an older RV as a hobby, knowing that there will be fix-it's along the way. Some of the work I can do, some I can't. My biggest worry is our long extended road trips and having mechanical problems. But that can happen with anything mode of transportation, a car, airplane, cruise ship etc.

I do wonder, do Class C's have more repairs or does a Class A if there is much difference at all. I know a Class A costs more to maintain.

2003 Ford 450 Jayco Greyhawk 25D
1986 Jeep Renegade
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon JK

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/19 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our first motor home, we had 3 minor road trip mishaps with the chassis in the 24 years we owned it.
-a clogged gas filter
-a loose connection on the chassis battery
-the main coil wire casing developed a crack and I noticed it arcing to the body.

I never even had a loss of air in any tire.

* This post was edited 03/11/19 08:22am by ron.dittmer *

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/19 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Owning a 1996 GBM Class A I can identify with a lot of the posts. Every trip something needed fixing. The major costs were the IFS which were caused by the front end shop putting in the wrong ball joints twice. If I remove those costs I ended up spending about $1200 in 16 years of ownership. Including the front end costs it was $21,348.This is for repairs, modifications like headers and routine maintenance like oil and other fluid changes. I put on over 100k miles in 16 years it now has about 130k miles on it. So we used it enjoyed the trips the only time I had to be towed were do to the front end failures. I did have a fuel pump go out on the road but was able to drive to a shop. These times were not pleasant and can really put a damper on your trips. So if I add the total cost Of $21,348 to the purchase price of $28,500 that would be $49,848 for 16 years of ownership. By contrast my friend has owned 3 new MH's during that same period and has lost more than that in deprecation alone. As far as repairs his first DP was in the shop almost 3 months for warranty repairs so he lost a whole summer and sold it the following year. My conclusion if you don't want to work on these yourself don't buy or keep an older MH. I wonder if TC's have less problems/expense than Class A's or C's?

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/19 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vach wrote:

The joys of owning an older motorhome. I have a 2008 Winnebago Aspect 26A on a E450 Ford.

I have a 1995 Ford E-350 based C, I don’t think I have that many problems in any 5 years. LOL.

Vach

Wi

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have enjoyed reading all the post. Many more than I thought I'd get. Lots of good advice and observations. We decided to keep what we have, at least for now. We looked at several new options and are not sure we found anything that fits us better. I don't mind doing some repairs I can handle and new motorhome cost certainly is a factor also. Wish us luck and stop if you see us on the side of the road with our hood up. Lol. I'll look out for you too.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Older Motorhome
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS