RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Replacing house batteries in our new motorhome with AGM

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Replacing house batteries in our new motorhome with AGM

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
mark52

Central California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/19 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The house batteries in our new motorhome need to power a 2000w inverter and allow us to boondock for several days at a time. Against our better wishes, it cam furnished with a full size residential refrigerator that must be kept going while in the boonies. It came furnished with 4 6v Harris Professional Plus golf cart batteries. I think that the dealer let them discharge badly before the motorhome was sold to us. Anyway, time for new ones! After a little research and some prodding from a local dealer where we are having our warrantee work done, they are recommending 4 new Centennial CB6-250 GC2H sealed lead acid AGM Batteries. They seem pretty top notch when looking at the specs. 250 AH @20 Hr rate, reserve capacity of 570 min @25 amp draw. I can get them locally for $320 each + 30 core charge. Has anyone used these batteries or anything similar? Any thoughts? Thanks!!

2018 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 35K "The moose"
The toad: 2006 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon lifted 4" with 33" tires

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/19 11:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The value and specs look fine. I usually compare to Lifeline brand AGM. Not sure what your expectations are to camp off-grid. I suspect you will be running the generator a couple hours every day. If there is space I would be looking to go a bit more battery all things considered. Will depend on your usage.

No I have not used those batteries. My set of 4x GC2 are just wet cell.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

hbillsmith

www.RVroadtripper.com

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/19 12:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check this out YOUTUBE INDEPTH ON BATTERY JAN2019

Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/19 12:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like really robust jars. AGM is nice, had 8 lifeline.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/19 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.battsys.com/amfilerating/file/download/file_id/8/

Should work. Having four 6s at 77lbs each could be handy. I have a 250AH 12v AGM in 8D size which I needed help with to install it is so heavy.

The charging specs are unclear to me. Usually with AGMs you charge them at a minimum of 20% AH rate, so at least 50 amps for 250, and at some max rate, usually about 30% (except Lifeline you can do more %). This shows cyclical recharge at 0.15 to 0.1 as rate, but for equalizing (see Float maintenance guide at bottom) 0.3 is given. It also says 68 amps max or 27%. Some other AGMs also use 27%. (136 amps on the 500)

If mine, I would recharge the 500AH at minimum 100 amps or more to a max of 150 amps. To do that, you would need one of those inverter/chargers that have those amps. To power a power factor corrected charger such as in those inverter/chargers at 150amps you will need a 3000w generator.

Your typical RV converter will undercharge those batteries with its low amps and incorrect charging profile.

Be sure to fully recharge to 0.5 amps/100AH -- so taper down to 2.5 amps at 14.6v on the Trimetric (you must have an ammeter of some kind to see that figure --part of the AGM set-up) before dropping to 13.6 Float.

Important to wire the four in series/parallel with the load/charging with pos on one pair and neg on the other pair. DO NOT let the dealer wire them up with a "downstream" pair like he probably will.

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/19 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree the value and specs look find being GC (Golf Car) batteries they will be DEEP CYCLE which is good.. Now he said Sealed Valve Regulated Lead Acid (Maintenance free) DId he specifically say AGM?

There is truly no advantage to AGM over liquid filled Maintenance freer for RV use. For OFF ROAD use yes. and not just AGM but perhaps Optima (Physically way more rugged than any other battery) but for RV use I have yet to be convinced there is an advantage to AGM over other SVRLA batteries (liquid filled).

They are more expensive however.

But I think you will be very happy with these non the less.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/19 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

I agree the value and specs look find being GC (Golf Car) batteries they will be DEEP CYCLE which is good.. Now he said Sealed Valve Regulated Lead Acid (Maintenance free) DId he specifically say AGM?

There is truly no advantage to AGM over liquid filled Maintenance freer for RV use. For OFF ROAD use yes. and not just AGM but perhaps Optima (Physically way more rugged than any other battery) but for RV use I have yet to be convinced there is an advantage to AGM over other SVRLA batteries (liquid filled).

They are more expensive however.

But I think you will be very happy with these non the less.

Can you give an example of a sealed deep-cycle flooded battery?

I use AGMs to mount inside the RV where I can't with the fumes of unsealed flooded ones.

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/19 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mark52 wrote:

The house batteries in our new motorhome need to power a 2000w inverter and allow us to boondock for several days at a time.

With no mention of a generator, this is NOT a practical goal.

And just because the residential fridge is THERE does not mean that it MUST be used while boondocking.

If you didn't WANT that kind of fridge, why DID you get a unit with one in it anyway ????

In general, I am a big fan of deep cycle AGM batteries for RVs.
I think they are well worth the extra expense.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/19 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

There is truly no advantage to AGM over liquid filled Maintenance freer for RV use.

Sure.

IF....you disregard the fact that they will not sulfate or self discharge nearly as fast. And they are able to "withstand" really BAD deep discharges better. And that they tend to last 30 to 100% longer.

Yep, no real advantage. [emoticon]

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/19 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Adding a 100amp charger will be the best $170 for boondocking. Will come close to cutting your generator time in half and AGMs like more amps.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
[url=https://i.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Replacing house batteries in our new motorhome with AGM
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS