|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Winter driving

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
pauly boy

canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/19 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 24ft C class 4 Winds. Was thinking of taking it out for "winter camping" in a Provincial park that's maintained for just such opportunity's.
Was wondering how the rig would handle on winter roads. Obviously not driving in a snow storm but the roads may have a covering.
I'm located in Southern Ontario.
Thanks Paul

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/19 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go for it - winter camping is the best IMHO. Just take it slow on any road surface that looks like it could be slick. maybe throw a bag of kitty litter in the storage in case you need extra traction on a slick surface

Does the park provide electric, or do you have some way to recharge your batteries?

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

pauly boy

canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/19 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can have either/or. For 30 amp it's best to reserve a spot. Road is plowed, sites are cleaned out.
We've done it in very late fall, early winter so the roads were good. We'll see how the weekend shapes up, if we go or not.
Thanks for the reply!
Paul

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/19 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We keep a set of cables ,a set for the front, and a set for outside duals. You never know when winter may “sneak-up” on you, while your camping! We haven’t used our “C” much in the winter......but having the cables, is a “feel-good” thing!

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/19 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last November when we saw a snowstorm heading for the local mountains we loaded up our 24' C and headed up. One section of the campground, {Fool Hollow Lake in Show Low AZ} had full hookups and stays open all winter.

We only got a few inches but thoroughly enjoyed hunkering down snug and warm in our coach. Taking walks as the snow fell was gorgeous. The 35K BTU furnace got a workout but kept us nice and toasty. It was a great change of pace from our normal camping and I recommend the experience highly.

[image]

[emoticon]

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/19 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Class C's generally behave reasonably well in winter conditions, all things considered; they have decent ground clearance (though bad departure angles, but that's a different story) and plenty of weight over the drive wheels. The couple times I've had mine out in moderate snow conditions it's been just fine. I have no desire to push things; I imagine that if it started to get out of hand you could cause all sorts of damage and mayhem pretty quickly, and so do not care to explore the edges and limits of handling in snow or otherwise.

As always, good tires make a big difference, and there are limits on what you can do, and for goodness sakes please be careful, and so forth.

(Also take care if they salt the roads to thoroughly clean the undercarriage and underside of the motorhome as soon as practical; the framework many RV makers add is none too thick and none too well protected from corrosion.)

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/19 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain wrote:

Last November when we saw a snowstorm heading for the local mountains we loaded up our 24' C and headed up. One section of the campground, {Fool Hollow Lake in Show Low AZ} had full hookups and stays open all winter.

We only got a few inches but thoroughly enjoyed hunkering down snug and warm in our coach. Taking walks as the snow fell was gorgeous. The 35K BTU furnace got a workout but kept us nice and toasty. It was a great change of pace from our normal camping and I recommend the experience highly.

[image]

[emoticon]

Arizona is too far away ... so we sometimes sleep in our 24 foot Class C that is parked right in our backyard here in CA in the low thirties temps ... hunkered down in the heavy rain and snow in order to have fun simulating the real thing.

Our 25K BTU RV furnace is not needed, so we save it's propane for Arizona and get by with a 65 degree interior kept that way with a 1.5K watt electric heater powered via an extension cord hookup from that tan colored single story pedestal on the left [emoticon] and [emoticon] :

[image]

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/19 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Phil,

Perhaps someday we can meet in the middle as we have a lot in common and more than a few tall tales to share. Trying to put together a March trip to Pahrump which we will use as a base camp to thoroughly explore Death Valley on my Indian. This winter has been a bit of a challenge with the weather cutting into my bike riding, golf, and RV'ing but only another month to go.

Took this shot from my driveway this morning looking up at Mt Lemon {9,200'}. You can't see the top 3K' due to the clouds but they have a couple of feet of snow up there. Temps are headed down into the 20's tonight but a balmy 40 here today.

[image]

[emoticon]

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/19 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pauly boy wrote:

I have a 24ft C class 4 Winds. Was thinking of taking it out for "winter camping" in a Provincial park that's maintained for just such opportunity's.

Was wondering how the rig would handle on winter roads.

I have a 24’ C on an older F-350 chassis that I use a lot, year round for (sort of) work travel. In my case it’s nearly at its GVWR with just me and the bare necessities.

With nothing more than regular all season (M&S) all season LT tires on it, it’s nearly like having AWD.

I left the northern part of the GTA last Tuesday (Feb. 12th) morning and drove south through Niagara Falls, west to Erie, PA then south to WV. I had NO serious issues with driving in that storm. It took some common sense and a good measure of prudence, but it was not bad, considering all the folks I saw in the ditch, or worse.

Harvey51

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/19 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One problem with winter camping in Canada is that the evenings are dark so bring things to do indoors. Some provinces require winter tires and you don’t want to be buying them urgently to get out of a towing lockup. Alberta doesn’t require them and in BC you can get away with having chains on board. I take our C for a drive every month. In January I stopped on a small country road where I had to turn around using a driveway. Backing out of the driveway I couldn’t see very well due to bright sunlight and everything white - I backed into a snow drift and got stuck. I brought a shovel this month and didn’t need it. It’s the first warm day this February, only 4 below zero C. Twenty below expected again tomorrow.

We got our former rental MH in late fall and took our first camping trip in March to Jasper. Of course we got a big snowstorm on the way and stopped at a small campsite where we really enjoyed our MH despite a foot of snow and -10C. I just put a mitt over the freshwater drain tap and we had no problems with freezing. Now we know we can handle -10 but probably not much colder.

* This post was edited 02/26/19 02:07pm by Harvey51 *

2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Winter driving
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS