|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Winter driving

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/19 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go for it just prepare first.

Here is a write-up that I did that may help you. Cold weather camping

2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/19 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sort of on topic! We had plans to do several short winter camping trips.....winter driving. We spent extra bucks to get a class c capable of winter camping ( 0 and colder). So far, haven’t made a trip. I really screwed-up my back around the first of the year....which really screwed-up our winter camping plans. Limped out to the barn (storage) once, to run the generator and the RV engine! Not the way we planned our winter. Have “cabin fever”....needed to vent! [emoticon]

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Harvey51

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Photomike wrote:

Thanks very much for that great practical knowledge!
We don’t intentionally go camping below -10C but it could happen accidentally living 500 km north of Edmonton and loving mountains.

I think I might have met the guy camping in his car one day at the Grande Cache tourist info. I was chatting with him beside his car and pretty soon a wonderful cooking smell reached me from the open trunk of his car.

2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Harvey51 wrote:

Photomike wrote:

Thanks very much for that great practical knowledge!
We don’t intentionally go camping below -10C but it could happen accidentally living 500 km north of Edmonton and loving mountains.

I think I might have met the guy camping in his car one day at the Grande Cache tourist info. I was chatting with him beside his car and pretty soon a wonderful cooking smell reached me from the open trunk of his car.

It is amazing how many people are out in the winter camping. Now that it is not -50 here I would like to get out. Need to get out. HAVE to get out. [emoticon]

A little prep and it is fun.

sullivanclan

Grand Junction, Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/19 11:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just returned from a road trip through Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Arizona (Quart) and stayed several days in Yuma. I planned for tough weather conditions, but we had perfect weather until our return trip to Utah when we hit a significant snowstorm in the higher elevations. (Our first in our Class C). I was pleased with how the 25 foot handled. Just in case I purchased snow tire cables on Amazon for the rear tires. We practiced installing them after watching a very helpful Youtube video where they used a tire lift under the inside dually which made installation on the outside tire easy. I also included orange safety vests and gloves in case we had to install them near the highway. (Thankfully those items were not needed)

We have done lots of cold weather camping and have foil covers for bedroom windows and also a portable propane "Buddy" heater in case we lose the motorhome heater or electricity. I also carried a couple of gallons of winterizing liquid in case things got too cold. (Our tanks are heated but exposed)

Cold weather camping usually sends many people home, so if you want little to no crowds and fun travel, give it a try. You can always stop, pull over somewhere safe and hunker down until roads are cleared.

2003 Ford 450 Jayco Greyhawk 25D
1986 Jeep Renegade
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon JK

pauly boy

canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/19 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you everyone for your replies. Apparently it can be done and have fun while at it.
MH/RV's are obviously "good" weather experiences but as everyone has pointed out some thought must first be put into the pro's and con's on what winter challenges can arise.
We have tried it once earlier in the season with success but the winds, snow and ice have put a halt further adventures.
Again, thanks for everyones expertise and experiences.
Paul

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/19 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having lived in an area of New York that saw -20 degrees at times I learned one thing, have a back-up plan if everything fails.
If you can stay warm,you will be fine.

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/19 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spent 2 weeks in Northern Vermont in January average Temps - 15 to 15, spent a week in Galena Ks.average temp 15 to 30 I'm now at property I own on North Lake Tahoe average Temps 20 to 35 heading out Friday for Baja Mexico. I love winter camping

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Winter driving
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS