|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Walmart changing some stores

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ParkCountry

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/19 01:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RAS43 wrote:

Cloud Dancer wrote:

Some of us have fallen on hard times. How to help the less fortunate has always been a problem, and now it's worst, that's all. Automation and robotics is part of our evolution, but it also has its downside.

I agree that in some cases jobs have been lost. However, around here I see many businesses posting help wanted signs. We just left Walmart and they have a table with job info just inside the door. $12.50 an hour to start. Not high paying in today's world but something to get an income until something better comes along. That is how it was in the past. When we left Walmart there were the same 2 guys standing on the corner with their "please help" signs that have been around for weeks. [emoticon]

One of my pet charities is a Homeless Men's Shelter here in town. They ask the public please NOT to give money to those guys standing out by Walmart. The shelter residents are not allowed in the shelter during the day. As a requirement for staying in the shelter, they are REQUIRED to be out in the community seeking gainful EMPLOYMENT. Giving money to them defeats the shelter's goal of training these men to be SELF SUFFICIENT, and is therefore COUNTERPRODUCTIVE to the work ethic they are trying to instill in these people. I know that people mean well when they give money to these guys but it only encourages MORE of SAME and an endless cycle of dependency on booze/drugs/handouts.

Ralph Cramden

Not on this rag of a forum

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/19 01:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ParkCountry wrote:

rjsd1 wrote:

Our local Walmart has turned into a truck stop. They even drop trailers and leave them. LOCAL tree trimming companies leave their trucks there over night daily. It's becoming a real eyesore.

And this is the kind of **** that ruins it for EVERYONE. Give some people an Inch and they'll take a MILE. Its this very attitude that caused our city to start charging for FREE campsites at our Tourist Park that were meant for tourists PASSING THROUGH on their way to/from Yellowstone and Grand Teton NPs.

If someone is dropping trailers and parking tree trimming trucks there on a consistent basis one would think they are doing so with someones permission or they wouldn't be there long, be that Walmart or someone else? Walmart is not always in control of parking and other common areas in a retail development. A dropped trailer or tree treeming truck is no more an eyesore than Billy Bob Jim pulling in in this!

[image]

Or Thurston Howell III pulling in in this!

[image]

pennysmom09

Delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/19 01:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Airdaile wrote:

westernrvparkowner wrote:

Airdaile wrote:

With truckers needing to use rest areas and Walmart town centers going up, it's getting tough to find a place to catch a couple of hours of shut-eye.
Yes, and those greedy RV parks, built exclusively for that purpose, have the unmitigated gall to charge money for the privilege.

And why would anyone pay $65 for a couple of hours of shut-eye?

If you buy,and want to live in an RV for any period of time it’s your responsibility to park it in a place designated for an rv, not a shopping center parking lot.and pay the going rate.

And why would you want deal with complaints from your seasonal campers when I roll in at 11:00 at night and leave at oh-dark-thirty? I'll wager the office at you CG isn't even open then.

RV parks are not built exclusively for a quick stop. My observations have been that they're built for seasonal residents and transients are tolerated as a necessary evil.

Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

Airdaile

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/19 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pennysmom09 wrote:

If you buy,and want to live in an RV for any period of time it’s your responsibility to park it in a place designated for an rv, not a shopping center parking lot.and pay the going rate.

Your comment got buried in the quote.

I'm not talking about living in an RV in a rest area or Walmart parking lot. I'm talking about trying to get somewhere on a 2 or 3 week vacation where I can enjoy an RV park or state or national park. Drive a long day and just grab some sleep and repeat. Not everyone can take months to get somewhere.

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/19 03:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"And why would anyone pay $65 for a couple of hours of shut-eye?"
My sentiments exactly, Campgrounds certainly serve a purpose, but not for me to sleep for 4-6 hours and the hit the road again.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

suprz

rhode island

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/19 03:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bukhrn wrote:

"And why would anyone pay $65 for a couple of hours of shut-eye?"
My sentiments exactly, Campgrounds certainly serve a purpose, but not for me to sleep for 4-6 hours and the hit the road again.

X2! That's why during the driving portion of our trip, we usually stay at a Loves, Pilot, etc... Most now have free dedicated RV lanes for overnight parking. A big plus is getting up in the morning and filling up, and being close to the interstate. The noise doesn't bother us at all. We have stayed at KOA's close to the interstate just for a overnight stay, but that got expensive, and didn't offer the other benefits

Proud father of a US Marine

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/19 04:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

Airdaile wrote:

With truckers needing to use rest areas and Walmart town centers going up, it's getting tough to find a place to catch a couple of hours of shut-eye.
Yes, and those greedy RV parks, built exclusively for that purpose, have the unmitigated gall to charge money for the privilege.

Sometimes I want just a burger & fries, sometimes I want a nice steak.

I don’t expect I’m going to pay the same for both.

Are you saying if you ran a high-end steak joint you’d serve a $4 burger if someone wasn’t very hungry?

Or that McDonalds should have a $30 minimum charge?

BTW, none of your guests would be upset if I pulled in at midnight and left at zero-dark-thirty would they?

But then again, maybe I just have the unmitigated gall to be considerate to my fellow travelers, sorry, it’s a Canadian thing, you probably wouldn’t understand........

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/19 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Airdaile wrote:

I have an idea...Campground! Quit going to them and they can't survive. They will go away then where can you stay?
B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/19 06:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think we have pent the night at a Wal mart. One night I remember at a Flyin J, but never again.
As far as eliminating overnight parking by RVers in favor of more Revenue Generating Customers.
I estimate wife and I spend 300.00 to 400.00 when we do stop there.
Food drinks, maybe fishing tackle and what knot. Our larder is usually low by the time we stop at one. One or two we can actually get into sorta, for diesel but not many.
They get their permission to park overnight's worth out of us, if we ever use it.
I/we have talked with several RVers that have and do park overnight at Wal Mart and they to spend a good bit of change there. Maybe not every time they stop overnight. That is one of the prime reasons they stop there. Wal Mart has generally the same things cross the Country and they know where it is and won't take hours except in my wife's case to fill the shopping carts. She deosn't red the forum so I'm safe.
We should be concerned if someone else chooses to stop there. That is between the store and them. They say fine go for it.
As to the Homeless, we have seen many too and it hurts my heart to see older GM and other employees now living in their once new but now faded RV and not by choice.
All we can do is be human as much as we can, so to speak, and let the world go on. We can't stop it or change the whole of it, just do our bit here and there.

Airdaile

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/19 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B.O. Plenty wrote:

Airdaile wrote:

I have an idea...Campground! Quit going to them and they can't survive. They will go away then where can you stay?
B.O.

Yeah, this was pretty much covered in my reply to WRVPO. You should read the entire thread.

In my TC days, there were plenty of private RV parks calling themselves "resorts" that turned away truck campers. I didn't seem important to them back then. Why would I patronize them now?

* This post was edited 02/20/19 08:30pm by Airdaile *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Walmart changing some stores
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS