|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Boston - Cape Cod area

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/19 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I usually park at the Alewife station if I'm visiting Boston proper for the day. During the weekend parking there is never a problem. During the week apparently it apparently fills up with commuters fairly early; I can't really say from personal experience one way or the other. Getting to Alewife is straightforward: I-95 to MA2 inbound to the exit for Alewife Station. Payment is via kiosks accepting credit/debit cards or cash, no app needed.

grampscamper

Toronto

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/19 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

I usually park at the Alewife station if I'm visiting Boston proper for the day. During the weekend parking there is never a problem. During the week apparently it apparently fills up with commuters fairly early; I can't really say from personal experience one way or the other. Getting to Alewife is straightforward: I-95 to MA2 inbound to the exit for Alewife Station. Payment is via kiosks accepting credit/debit cards or cash, no app needed.

Sounds perfect.
Thanks.

2019 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2017 Passport Elite 19RB
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300

Crowe

Merrimack, NH (finally!)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/19 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

During the week apparently it apparently fills up with commuters fairly early; I can't really say from personal experience one way or the other.

Absolutely, often by 7 a.m. They've also had to close parts of the garage to effect repairs because the garage is not in good shape. Weekends are generally not an issue unless a date coincides with a larger-than-normal event in the city.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

grampscamper

Toronto

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/19 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the commuter station is 2 miles from the KOA I may just take a cab. Then I won’t have to worry about parking. I have a fairly large vehicle.

Thanks for your replies.

Bob

DavidandDayle

Guelph, Ont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/19 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gramps: We drove in along the Mass Pike. They're supposed to have photo toll collection (like the 407) but we still haven't been billed.
We found the parking payment/fare payment machines at the subway stations erratic.

David and Dayle

grampscamper

Toronto

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/19 04:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DavidandDayle wrote:

Gramps: We drove in along the Mass Pike. They're supposed to have photo toll collection (like the 407) but we still haven't been billed.
We found the parking payment/fare payment machines at the subway stations erratic.

Thanks for the information. I took the 407 last year from the 400 to the QEW. It cost me over $100.00 one way. I hate tolls. I know they’re unavoidable going to Boston. With my luck I’ll get billed.

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/19 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For Connecticut, I am not a big fan of Mystic Aquarium. I think Boston Aquarium is much better - it has a big center tank that you walk around.

You might be interested in Gillete Castle state park ( https://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2716&q=325204&deepNav_GID=1650 } very cool to check out the "castle" and the surrounding grounds.

Not far away is Goodspeed Opera House - sometimes tours during the day are available, depending on their show schedule. Speaking of which, seeing a show there is great.

As to "Plimoth" Plantation (Pilgrims) in Massachusetts, that is neat to check out but... they do the "living history" thing there, where the actors pretend to be pilgrims while you try your best to get straight answers about the houses, living, and history. I am not a big fan of that type of thing, I find it annoying. When you check out Plymouth Rock, make sure to ask one of the Rangers there about it. They have a very good 10ish minutes talk about the Rock.

The Pilgrims ship, Mayflower II, may not be there... I think it is still being rebuilt at Mystic Seaport in Connecticut... Speaking of which!!

Instead of going to the Mystic Aquarium, you could check out Mystic Seaport. The Mayflower II might still be there undergoing major repairs / rebuilding, otherwise there is almost always one or more interesting sailing ships there to check out, along with the small "village".

grampscamper

Toronto

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/19 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like Gillette Castle is closed when we're there but the grounds are open. I'll add your suggestions to our list.

Thanks very much.

paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/19 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Correct. The ship will not be back in Plymouth until after Labor Day.

Tvov wrote:

The Pilgrims ship, Mayflower II, may not be there... I think it is still being rebuilt at Mystic Seaport in Connecticut... Speaking of which!!

Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov wrote:

For Connecticut, I am not a big fan of Mystic Aquarium. I think Boston Aquarium is much better - it has a big center tank that you walk around.

You might be interested in Gillete Castle state park ( https://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2716&q=325204&deepNav_GID=1650 } very cool to check out the "castle" and the surrounding grounds.

X2

hands down Boston aquarium has it all over Mystic aquarium, Mystic seaport though is well worth a visit. [emoticon]

If you're into submarines, check out the Nautilus submarine, I believe in groton ct, about 10 minutes drive from Mystic ct

Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors. "Towing with 180K"

State & Provinces we have camped

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Boston - Cape Cod area
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS