|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Sailun Tire Failure

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ChuckSteed

Mtn Home, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/19 06:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All Chinese tires aren’t junk...Just,like all Fords aren’t junk... but I wouldn’t own a Ford..

Sailun G rated RV tire is an excellent choice for those that need it want that rating for load capacity..

G614 is a good tire but at double the cost... I’d spend my money on the Sailun...

And I run a Chinese made Geo Star G rated 14 ply s9ldmb6 Les Schwab on my fifth wheel. They are awesome....

RollandB

Albany, Or

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/19 07:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A junk China tire would have beat the snot out of the rig.

2005 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab Long Box, Duramax/Allison, B&W Companion, TST507's

2016 Artic Fox 27-5L

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/19 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

You won't see American made tires that are two years old with the sidewalls blowing out.

And

Chinese tires are junk.

These type comments aren't made from anyone that has been around the industry using LDT pulling heavy GN/pintle trailers....or even pulled several heavy rv trailer for many years or miles.
Facts are Some of the better P/ST/LT tires on the road are made in china.
Lots of newbs to the trailering world come on a rv website and read about all the issues with chine made ST tires we were having especially some years back...then assume all china made tires are junk.[emoticon]
With over 1.2 million miles hauling LTL with LDT and these type tires and trailer sizes I and others have had the same issues pop up with all USA brand tires....rare but this can show up running that many miles. I personally have had more issues with Goodyear P...LT...ST tires but I'm not ignorant to say Goodyear makes junk tires.

Yeah the American made G614 load G have the worst record of the G tire lineup although to their credit Goodyear has worked hard at making it a more durable tire and they have improved the last several years.

Other USA made 16" G load tires recommended for trailer service....haven't heard of any. There are several off shore made 16" G tires carrying old USA brand names like Gladiators......Hercules....others....which around here were mostly sold around small town stores...feed stores...grain elevators. Farm and ranch operations which also catered to construction types.

Maybe the OP can shed more light ??

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Campinghoss@51

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/19 08:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run G rated Westlakes on my fiver which is pushing 17k. I already have several thousand miles on them. I will not switch until they age out.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/19 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Quote:

You won't see American made tires that are two years old with the sidewalls blowing out.

And

Chinese tires are junk.

These type comments aren't made from anyone that has been around the industry using LDT pulling heavy GN/pintle trailers....or even pulled several heavy rv trailer for many years or miles.
Facts are Some of the better P/ST/LT tires on the road are made in china.
Lots of newbs to the trailering world come on a rv website and read about all the issues with chine made ST tires we were having especially some years back...then assume all china made tires are junk.[emoticon]
With over 1.2 million miles hauling LTL with LDT and these type tires and trailer sizes I and others have had the same issues pop up with all USA brand tires....rare but this can show up running that many miles. I personally have had more issues with Goodyear P...LT...ST tires but I'm not ignorant to say Goodyear makes junk tires.

Yeah the American made G614 load G have the worst record of the G tire lineup although to their credit Goodyear has worked hard at making it a more durable tire and they have improved the last several years.

Other USA made 16" G load tires recommended for trailer service....haven't heard of any. There are several off shore made 16" G tires carrying old USA brand names like Gladiators......Hercules....others....which around here were mostly sold around small town stores...feed stores...grain elevators. Farm and ranch operations which also catered to construction types.

Maybe the OP can shed more light ??

Not sure what additional light I can shed on it. The DOT on the tire was three months old at the time I purchased it, as were the other three. This new replacement is 4 months old.

Close to 5k on the failed tire, its been run in 20 -100 degree weather, just over 2 years . Based on the weight of my trailer , average weight on each tire 2625. Granted thats not each axle being weighted separately , but a tire with a 4400 lb. rating ,its save to say I was far from overloaded .

I will go out on a limb here, there is argument to inflation charts, some say follow ,some say not. I run them at 10 psi under their max load inflation of 110 psi. I inflate my rear tires on my truck to 80 psi, when warmed up they are at 86-87 . Its save to say those Sailuns are running at least 110 psi when warm. I know they are designed to run 110 plus when running, but running them 10 psi under ,IMO has no effect on them ,nor did it have anything to do with the one failing.

Here is what I think, and I repeat. I either ran over something, although we could find nothing in the tread area , puncture, nail, whatever. Inside , or out. Or the jagged edge of a pothole got it, the damage is just below the tread area. The potholes were not minor, they were deep ,and rough, and there was no way to miss them all .

Other then a defective tire, no other clue, it was 100 psi when I left Las Vegas, I went 80 miles before it failed.

* This post was edited 02/27/19 09:31am by cummins2014 *

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/19 09:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've several reports of Sailun tire failures.

PLEASE report this to NTSB. They take tire failures very serious.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/19 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

That I can do, but I didn't keep the tire, or have any desire to pursue anything with Sailun. Not sure what NTSB needs from me .

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/19 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RollandB wrote:

A junk China tire would have beat the snot out of the rig.

The tire was pretty intact, no tread separation whatsoever . I am sure it would of not taken much longer for it to start really coming apart. Having never had this happen before, I didn't realize how hot a tire could get when flat ,and the amount of smoke coming off of it.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/19 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

Say it ain't so Ethyl.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/19 11:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wrote NTSB, I meant NHTSA

Here is the link

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Sailun Tire Failure
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS