|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Thinking of downsizing from DP to View

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
bobfinch

Ma

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/19 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking for advice, considering downsizing from our HR Ambassador 40dst to a View style class C. There seems to be a broad price range even on the same chassis. Any feedback on MFGs to stay away from and or what you like about your units is greatly appreciated.

Fulltimers

Anywhere, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/19 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went from a Class C to a gas Class A. The difference in handling is incredible. If I downgrade I will go to a smaller Class A. Don't think I will ever go back to a Class C.

Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog
2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

LetsRV

Portland, OR.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/19 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We downsized from a 2001 Newmar, Kountry Star DP (which we owned for almost 15 years) to a 2016 Forest River, Forester Class C. We are not full-timers but I am retired so we have the opportunity to use our rig quite a bit.

Now that the kids and grandkids are grown it is mostly just me, the Supreme Commander and the two four-legged fur kids. Have throughly enjoyed the rig. Lots of storage inside and out, plenty of room for the two of us and floor plan works great. We didn't need the up front bed so we got the entertainment center.

Have only had two issues, a couple of minor leaks due to caulk not run in a continuous bead. Both found and fixed easily. No other issues.

The V10 is a great engine as is the 6 speed tranny. We travel over the coast range (to the Oregon coast) towing a Honda CRV. Very good performance and decent gas mileage, all things considered.

Good luck with your decision, hope everything works out for you.

Due to depreciation the above opinions are now worth less than what you paid for them.

We are all good at something.....
I just happen to be a good bad example.

2016 Forest River Forester 3011DSF

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/19 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobfinch,

You didn't mention how many people & pets your new rig is supposed to accommodate, nor long long your trips would average and your travel style (national parks or RV parks). That would help us provide a smarter response.

One WARNING about the new 2019 Sprinter. It has a major price increase compared to 2018. Mercedes added piles of technology and a decent amount of extra weight-handling capability (GVWR is 12,125 pounds now) but it comes at roughly a $22,000 price increase. So be prepared for "Sticker Shock".

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/19 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think very carefully as I’m sure you are as to what “stuff” you will NOT be able to take with you. Me I’m a minimalist at heart but wife is a hoarder. Careful of tank sizes if you dry camp. As far as manufacturers, if you want a View type unit get a View.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/19 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since we are talking Sprinter rigs.....THIS RIG is offered today on both the Sprinter and E450.

Our rig exactly like it SEEN HERE is built on a 2007 E350. It has been working perfectly for my wife and I for the past 12 years and running. We don't care for slide-outs so we ordered ours without one. But order what you like.

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/19 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are talking about a View, as in a Winnebago View, I would recommend it over any other Sprinter-based manufacturers. Having owned a Class C on a Ford chassis, I like the driving experience and comfort much better in the Sprinter. You can also use the cab in the Sprinter as part of the living area. We purchased the 24V model since it fits our style the best. Good luck on your search!

bobfinch

Ma

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/19 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the feedback, sorry for the lack of details.
Mainly just the wife, puggle and myself, we do want the ability to have our son 22 and daughter 20 hang out from time to time so a dinette and cabover bed are on the list. I have owned Forest River 5ers and liked the quality, never owned a Thor product but like some of their floor plans and the Winnies are nice, any reason to stay away from any of these?
Thanks again

bobfinch

Ma

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/19 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gemsworld wrote:

If you are talking about a View, as in a Winnebago View, I would recommend it over any other Sprinter-based manufacturers. Having owned a Class C on a Ford chassis, I like the driving experience and comfort much better in the Sprinter. You can also use the cab in the Sprinter as part of the living area. We purchased the 24V model since it fits our style the best. Good luck on your search!

I'm a little confused with your response?

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/19 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah, sleeping 4 adults plus a dinette in a Sprinter, a View in the appropriate floor plan is going to be a great choice. Having a cab-over bed for 2 guests, the seamless design of the View's cab-over area is "tops". There might be a rare competitor to the View offering the same seamless design. If you find seam work in the cab-over area, your safest bet is to scratch that model off your list.

Seam work in the cab-over area is the Achilles Heal of class-C motor homes. No seam work means no water leaks. That over-hanging bed resonates so much that the seams breach with age and exposure to the elements. No seams = no breach = no water damage = no mold problems.

Go for the View/Navion and you will do fine.

I think the other poster gemsworld is pointing out that the cab area (the driver & passenger seat) turn-around and become part of the living room. With 4 people inside, that provides two additional easy chairs. You are not all scrunched together sitting at the dinette all the time.

The other chassis brands and makes offer the same 180 degree seating for the driver and passenger, but the Sprinter does it better.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Thinking of downsizing from DP to View
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS