|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Thinking of downsizing from DP to View

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/19 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobfinch wrote:

gemsworld wrote:

If you are talking about a View, as in a Winnebago View, I would recommend it over any other Sprinter-based manufacturers. Having owned a Class C on a Ford chassis, I like the driving experience and comfort much better in the Sprinter. You can also use the cab in the Sprinter as part of the living area. We purchased the 24V model since it fits our style the best. Good luck on your search!

I'm a little confused with your response?

I will be more than happy to clarify any confusion you may have.

kjburns

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/19 11:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We made a similar transition for 40'+ diesel pushers to a Dynamax Isata 24FW. We liked this model for the full wall slide with a reclining love seat & console. It maximizes the living space in a sub 25' class C. We've had it for two months and five weekend trips, and we don't regret the decision.

2019 Dynamax Isata3 24FW

jcapps

Not a senior just a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/19 04:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

Bobfinch,

You didn't mention how many people & pets your new rig is supposed to accommodate, nor long long your trips would average and your travel style (national parks or RV parks). That would help us provide a smarter response.

One WARNING about the new 2019 Sprinter. It has a major price increase compared to 2018. Mercedes added piles of technology and a decent amount of extra weight-handling capability (GVWR is 12,125 pounds now) but it comes at roughly a $22,000 price increase. So be prepared for "Sticker Shock".
They are still building on the 2018, I know I just ordered a 2020. Oh and btw, it will be a 10 to 13k increase

As for downsizing, I have had them all from c to a to a dp. I just ordered a Dynamax Isata 3. Test drive one and you will love it. Complete different drive, like driving a normal van. Happened to test drive it on a very windy day and I could not tell it was windy when driving. Stable as hell, no porpoising. I took the exit and saw it said 25MPH, sharp turn. I slowed to 30 and the salesman was talking and I forgot about the drive, a minute later I realized I went through that turn and it was unnoticed.
Glad I did my research prior. Cannot wait to get it.
Now as for downSIZING, you just have to realize that you have about 900ccc and cannot take your cast iron pots with you. Tow capacity is about 4200 lbs. I purchased so I do not need to tow a vehicle with me, this is small and nimble enough to go anywhere with. Good Luck

"The great challenge of adulthood is holding on to your idealism after you lose your innocence."
– Bruce Springsteen

"This ain't the practice round"
- a friend

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/19 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would it be possible to rent one to try it ? Or at least rent one with a floorplan that you would like. Try it for size and comfort.

I would research the Sprinter owners forums to see if service is available in remote places or in the usual places you go. From what I have read only specific repair shops have the needed software to clear diesel codes etc. I don't know if that's an issue or not but I would look into it.
If the nearest authorized shop is 200-300 miles away, how will you get there and confirm that your roadside service will tow you that far .
Where I live I have 6 repair centers within 100 mi. Where I normally camp...zero .

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/19 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jcapps wrote:

ron.dittmer wrote:

Bobfinch,

You didn't mention how many people & pets your new rig is supposed to accommodate, nor long long your trips would average and your travel style (national parks or RV parks). That would help us provide a smarter response.

One WARNING about the new 2019 Sprinter. It has a major price increase compared to 2018. Mercedes added piles of technology and a decent amount of extra weight-handling capability (GVWR is 12,125 pounds now) but it comes at roughly a $22,000 price increase. So be prepared for "Sticker Shock".
They are still building on the 2018, I know I just ordered a 2020. Oh and btw, it will be a 10 to 13k increase.
Oops, you are correct in stating the 2019 Sprinter price increase is ~$13k more than a 2018 Sprinter. The $22k I stated is the price hike of a Sprinter "option" for a rig normally built on the E350/E450.

One real good thing about the new 2019 Sprinter 4500 with a GVWR of 12,125, is the significant increase over the still available 3500XD with 11,030 pounds. If buying a 2019 Sprinter version, that would be my very first question to the RV sales people. Is your motor home built on the 2019 3500XD Sprinter chassis, or the 2019 4500 Sprinter chassis?

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

bobfinch

Ma

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the replies, not doing it. Can't take what the trade offers are for our DP.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know this guy but on another RV forum, someone is in the market for a used DP. CLICK HERE to read his opening post. If you want, I could give him your contact info. Just PM it to me. If you have something put together like specs and pictures, I could pass to him too.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/19 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gemsworld wrote:

If you are talking about a View, as in a Winnebago View, I would recommend it over any other Sprinter-based manufacturers. Having owned a Class C on a Ford chassis, I like the driving experience and comfort much better in the Sprinter. You can also use the cab in the Sprinter as part of the living area. We purchased the 24V model since it fits our style the best. Good luck on your search!

FWIW, notice from ron.dittmer's photos of the interior of his non-slide 2350 Class C based on a Ford E350 chassis (click on one of his links in this thread to see them) ... that the passenger cab seat can be swiveled so as to make at least the passenger seat part of the living area when parked.

A non-slide 2350 based on a Sprinter would have the same issue of only the passenger cab seat swiveling to face the coach - because just like with the E350 chassis - the back of the forward dinette seat blocks swiveling of the cab driver's seat.

IMHO a new non-slide PC 2350 based on the more rugged Ford E450 chassis, as it now is instead of an E350 chassis, would make for an outstanding small RV for camping just about anytime anywhere with or without hookups in all kinds and sizes of camping places.

Versatility can be very important for some camping styles.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Phil,

The OP mentioned that he wanted sleeping accommodations for 4 adults. Though a Phoenix Cruiser 2350 can sleep 4 adults with the optional sofa bed in a slide-out, I think a View with cab-over bunk would be much more accommodating and comfortable.

Our Phoenix Cruiser 2350 as-is without the optional slide-out, is ideal for us 2 adults. We rarely have a 3rd guest sleeping on the dinette conversion. When we do, it is quite disruptive. Having the extra person in an upper bunk of a class C would be quite the opposite.

Phoenix Cruisers come in 21 to 31 foot lengths, 9 different models with slide-outs galore if you want them. But without a cab-over bunk of a class C like the View has, I feel they are all designed around the comfort of two adults. It's all about "permanent beds". As soon as a couch or dinette requires "converting", it's a different experience for the worse. If a guest or two is exceptionally rare as in our case, then a B+ is the better choice. That is my thought about it for what it is worth.

* This post was edited 03/02/19 07:21am by ron.dittmer *

Dakzuki

Carnation, Wa, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/19 12:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

Bobfinch,

From what I understand, Winnebago is not going to be using the 12k gross weight (4500) cutaway chassis and will be sticking with the 3500. The new Sprinter does have some nice cab improvements.

2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Thinking of downsizing from DP to View
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.