|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Best camping Hack and/or Fad

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Piddlers

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/19 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find it very interesting looking through very old posts on this forum and others regarding mods, home made solutions, creativity, etc.

Just wondering what some of the best or most memorable things have been for many of the seasoned RVers. What has worked and what have you seen come & go?

For example; PVC sign holders, Bucket lights, flower pot lights, toilet paper tube fire starters, and so on.

Thanks!

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/19 11:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've always like these 2 threads...lots of ideas

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/17436377.cfm

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/19777656.cfm

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/19 12:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oops.. Misunderstood the original post.. [emoticon]

Did the 'tacky awning light' thing for awhile...

Spend more time outside the trailer than inside.. Not really a fad, but seems to be a rare thing at times.

Mitch

* This post was last edited 02/28/19 10:09pm by MitchF150 *   View edit history

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

dcmac214

SW OKLA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/19 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Getting close to bump it up time:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/17436377.cfm

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/19 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Campfires.. Many campgrounds have gone to these new "Safety" Fire pits consisting of two metal rings with about 4" of concrete between them.. No way (at least easily) to dig ounder 'em and they are often "Spiked" in so you can't easily lift em to let air into the fire pit.....

Muffler shop bent a piece of pipe From the outlet end a short run the UP the height of the fire pit and a bit. then back to the horozontial run then down and then a bit more than up for six inhches to a foot.

On the "Cold" end of the pipe I mounted a small "Computer" type fan runs on a 12 volt "Jump Pack" battery.. Blows air in nicely. Big fire..

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Piddlers

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/19 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I missed the mark on my original post.

I thought it would be interesting to see what seasoned campers could remember that were fads and/or hacks in the past. Things that they had seen that was "all the rage" at one time or another and are not now. Maybe funny things, maybe not.

Such as; upside down hanging flower pot lights. At one time we would see them in the campground frequently and now we never see them. Or bumper stickers were everywhere at one time and now you don't see them like that on campers.

I totally realize there is a mod thread & gadget thread, etc., but that is not what I was looking for.

Sorry for the confusion.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/19 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Piddlers wrote:

I think I missed the mark on my original post.

I thought it would be interesting to see what seasoned campers could remember that were fads and/or hacks in the past. Things that they had seen that was "all the rage" at one time or another and are not now. Maybe funny things, maybe not.

Such as; upside down hanging flower pot lights. At one time we would see them in the campground frequently and now we never see them. Or bumper stickers were everywhere at one time and now you don't see them like that on campers.

I totally realize there is a mod thread & gadget thread, etc., but that is not what I was looking for.

Sorry for the confusion.

Strings of party lights. At one time, plastic Chinese lanterns, multicolored fish, etc. were hanging from every awning. Mostly now replaced by LED rope lights.

The biggest fad currently seems to be the Blackstone tabletop propane griddles. All the cool kids have them.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/19 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the biggest trends is for TT and 5th wheels getting bigger and bigger. Some of them are larger than the average mobile home in the 60's.

Bob & Dawn Married 31 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

JimBollman

Lost State of Franklin

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/19 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure it was a fad but it certainly was a waste of money. I bought a fold up stainless steel wood burning cook stove about 40 years ago. You were suppose to be able to burn small sticks of wood in it from around your camp site. I used it once, smoked bad made a mess of it's self and the pan, with no easy way to clean it on a camping trip. Still have it, neat concept just didn't work, couldn't bring myself to throw it away.

Now they do part of it right, the Solo Stove, a gasifier wood burner, that actually works. Doesn't fold up but after a couple of minutes of burning it burns clean and very little left after the fire goes out to throw away, cleans up with a rag or paper towel. We have the small one and use it as mini wood fire that you can actually sit next to and doesn't burn a cord of wood on a week long camping trip. I cut up wood scraps into small pieces and a 5 gallon bucket full will gives 3 or 4 fires. If I supplement with sticks from where we are camping I can stretch the number of fires.

I probably have others, I'll have to think about it.

Piddlers

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/19 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone, now we're on the right track!

Agree about the party lights. While we do see them occasionally, now most seem to have an LED light strip. A couple years ago having a strand of rope lights laying on the ground were "in" and now I'm not seeing that.

Definitely has been a swing in trailer size for sure. They keep getting bigger and bigger with more gadgets.

Regarding the stove - we actually saw one very similar at Goodwill and it took us a bit to really figure out what it was. Very nifty though and really cool looking. Too bad the concept didn't work.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Best camping Hack and/or Fad
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS