RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Can't bring TT home because of neighbors parking in street?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Can't bring TT home because of neighbors parking in street?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
RayJayco

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stop by the fire station and explain the situation and ask them to bring their engine down your street. When they can't turn around, they will hit their siren and lights. Cars will be moved and the offenders warned.

It really could be a safety issue as fires and accidents are not usually planned.
Perhaps the neighbors haven't realized the potential consequences.
And I doubt anyone would look at you as being the cause.
Good luck!

Inquiring minds want to know...

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless the street has signs stating NO PARKING the design was approved with street parking in mind.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

Request the HOA to enforce their street parking rules. Parking in a cul du sac is a safety issue regarding emergency vehicles.

I ABSOLUTELY agree with this - a fire truck isn't any more nimble than an RV. If the neighbors need overflow parking, the HOA can deal with that, too.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Unless the street has signs stating NO PARKING the design was approved with street parking in mind.

Not always. In Michigan, our privately-owned-by-the-HOA street is only 16' wide. We don't allow street parking because it could block rescue vehicles.

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In our HOA, streets are county maintained, but like a lot of streets in the south, they are narrow. Parking isn't allowed on the street by owners at any time, only guests. In our covenants, it specifically states why parking on the street isn't permitted - it is a safety issue with Emergency vehicles.

As for the OP's issue, I would just use the driveway of one of the neighbor's that won't move their car(s). Pull straight in, then back the rest of the way to your house. If they see you do it, at their angle, it will probably look like you are going to hit their car(s) as you are backing out. They'll probably be a little more cooperative in the future.

I would also firmly, but not aggressively, remind these owners that parking on the street is a violation of the covenants. Let them know you are trying to resolve the issue without resorting to complaining to the HOA. Give them the choice. If they don't move the cars, then it was their choice to have you complain to the HOA. Most likely they won't comply until they start racking up fines for non-compliance.

A lot of people have no idea what they sign at closing. At our first HOA meeting after we moved in (about a year after the subdivision opened), someone asked how many home owners did not have a copy of the covenants. About half of the owners raised their hands, but they signed a document stating they received the covenants, understand them and agree to comply with them.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

plasticmaster

Home

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I appreciate all of the responses and insight. A lot of the comments, though, suggest criminal, reckless, or mean spirited activity (intentionally bumping or scratching their car, parking in the street myself in front of their house, etc.) by me as a means to prove a point. These things are fun to think about, but obviously, I would never do such things, nor do I have the time to do such things, even if I wanted to. Others suggest that the neighbors would retaliate with criminal activity against me such as vandalism to my house while I'm away on a camping trip. I really don't think it would come to that if I did turn them in to HOA and they suspected it was me. They have too much going for them such as raising a family to have stupid criminal charges brought against them.

Others suggest I should just live with it like backing all the way down the street, or load my camper at storage and never bring it to my house. Both of these are doable, but for a variety of reasons, make my life more difficult while facilitating the neighbors desire to park on the street with an empty driveway, which is against HOA rules that they signed in to. Why should I pay HOA fees, follow the rules, and accept that others are not while creating an inconvenience or burden for me?

Another aspect of this is the safety issue. Indeed, fire trucks would have a hard time getting down the street with the parking situation. In fact, my wife nearly got into a head on collision a couple weeks ago dodging a street parked car at the crest of a steep hill. Thankfully, both cars stopped in time, but if they had collided, it would probably have been her fault since she was in the wrong lane.

Again, thanks to all for the insight.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/19 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

plasticmaster, in that case, I suggest that you wait to turn them in to the HOA until a time when you are NOT bringing your RV home and make it about emergency vehicles. Don't talk to the neighbors about bringing your RV home anymore.

If you call the HOA around the time that you are bringing your RV home, it will come across as being your main reason. As I mentioned before, this becomes a fight between "RVs and street parking" both unliked by HOAs.

Instead, wait and then call and make it about emergency vehicle access. Explain that the street parking has become so extreme that you are afraid that a fire truck will not be able to get into the cul de sac if needed. Don't mention the RV at all.

This gives the HOA a strong safety reason for enforcing the rule rather than a personality dispute. It has more teeth for them. Leaving the RV out of it (and don't immediately bring the RV home after the rule is enforced) will keep the HOA from turning this against you.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

plasticmaster, in that case, I suggest that you wait to turn them in to the HOA until a time when you are NOT bringing your RV home and make it about emergency vehicles. Don't talk to the neighbors about bringing your RV home anymore.

If you call the HOA around the time that you are bringing your RV home, it will come across as being your main reason. As I mentioned before, this becomes a fight between "RVs and street parking" both unliked by HOAs.

Instead, wait and then call and make it about emergency vehicle access. Explain that the street parking has become so extreme that you are afraid that a fire truck will not be able to get into the cul de sac if needed. Don't mention the RV at all.

This gives the HOA a strong safety reason for enforcing the rule rather than a personality dispute. It has more teeth for them. Leaving the RV out of it (and don't immediately bring the RV home after the rule is enforced) will keep the HOA from turning this against you.

Excellent post.

MM.

Mr.Mark

2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo w/1,750 lb. ft. of torque, 1.5 baths, 4 slides.
2017 Lincoln MKX AWD V6 335 hp twin turbo.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

turbojimmy wrote:

Too bad your HOA isn't this diligent in enforcing their rules:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/hoa-threatens........er-car-leaves-*****-shape-in-snow-report

Stupid bad word filter won't let me post it. Substitute the ***** with p e n i s.

"A homeowner’s association (HOA) in Tennessee threatened to fine a resident $100 after her car left a phallic-shaped image in the condo’s parking lot following a light dusting of snow, a report said Tuesday.

The resident, identified as Kathryn, told The Drive that in January she received a surprising email from her HOA accusing her of violating the rules by “displaying offensive images or slogans.” The board didn’t specify what was “offensive,” so a confused Kathryn inquired further.

The board claimed to have photographic evidence sent in by a resident who was concerned about the wellbeing of children, the outlet reported. The photo it sent left Kathryn in stitches: a snowy parking space with a blob of cleared asphalt that could be construed as male genitalia.

The absence of tire tracks was because it was still snowing when she and her husband left for work that morning in their Honda Insight, Kathryn told The Drive.

Kathryn fired an angry email back to the board, noting that the bylaws state that offensive imagery had to be purposeful. She then asked how she was supposed to control the way the snow fell around her car, refused to pay the fine and threatened legal action, according to the outlet.

The board finally backed off, and in an email wrote: "We understand. We will not be pursuing this further, in good faith pursuant to the wording of the by-laws."

Use tinyurl: http://tinyurl.com/y2hugppe

turbojimmy

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

Use tinyurl: http://tinyurl.com/y2hugppe

Nice. I should have thought of that. Thanks!

1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Can't bring TT home because of neighbors parking in street?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS