RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Can't bring TT home because of neighbors parking in street?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Can't bring TT home because of neighbors parking in street?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/19 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, you have several choices:

1. back up the entire street

2. call the HOA on the neighbors

3. give the neighbors a couple days' notice that you will be bringing your trailer home and ask in advance that they have their vehicles moved

4. use the tractor to move the trailer into the driveway

5. load your trailer onsite

Now there is a reality check. Whenever you are going up against people, you have to be prepared for their response. So, ask yourself the following questions:

is the HOA concerned about parking on the street? Or is it generally unenforced?

What are the rules regarding RVs?

Who are the people in charge of the HOA and who are they more likely to side with: people who park on the side of the street or people with RVs? Do these people park on the street themselves or do they have RVs?

If you involve the other neighbors, you risk them complaining about you to the HOA and the HOA siding against you.

If you call the HOA, you risk them ruling against you due to the RV.

If you do what you can and ignore the neighbors, you are not likely to have issues yourself with the HOA.

I don't know what I'd do in this situation. We have cars parked on the street where I live, but there is an alleyway across the street from me where I can pull into and then back up into the driveway.

Which could be an option. Is there one of those "empty" driveways that you could use to turn your trailer to the right angle to then back up into your driveway?

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/19 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyF wrote:

I live on a street where turning around is difficult. For the last several years, I have stopped trying to bring the fifth-wheel home for loading. I load up the car and take the stuff to the storage site. Sometimes it requires two trips.

Your storage site is two miles away, so a trip or two for loading may not be so bad -- certainly not so bad as going to war with neighbors.

The last two years before we started full timing we lived in a Townhouse. I could get the 5er in front of it, it was an end unit with some space, but I’d was much easier to keep non perishable food and clothing in the 5er all the time. Just needed to bring perishable food and some ods and ends.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Hondavalk

Toledo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/19 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyF wrote:

Your storage site is two miles away, so a trip or two for loading may not be so bad -- certainly not so bad as going to war with neighbors.

This

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/19 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Send a picture to the HOA regardless of the trailer issue.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

plasticmaster

Home

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/19 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

I don't understand why the driveways are empty.

I don't understand why driveways are empty either. I suppose it's more convenient for them to park on street rather than driveway and they don't care if it's an inconvenience to others or safety issue with emergency vehicles. I've lived here for 9 years and it was never a problem until a couple years ago when several new neighbors moved in.

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/19 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When he moves his car, park your car there. When you want to bring your trailer home you can just move your car.

routeforty

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/19 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reading between the lines it sounds like there is a 'not so great' relationship between you and your neighbors(there's probably a reason for this), but maybe not [emoticon] . I lived in a similar situation. I decided it was easier to back 300+ feet down the street to load my camper, or load it offsite, than it was to involve the HOA. Then the HOA would start looking around and I'm sure they could have found something that I was in violation of, and then something else the neighbors were in violation of, etc.... There's nearly always something in the HOA bylaws that is open to different interpretations. To me it was just not worth it to have something petty like this ruin my day or camping trip. Get over it. I did and had a great relationship with my neighbors. After 'killing them with kindness' I found that after a while they were over wanting to help, know about my trip, asking about the camper, and watched over the property while we were gone.

2018 coachmen leprechaun class c

plasticmaster

Home

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/19 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regarding the HOA rules and my camper, trailers of any kind are not allowed in my subdivision. However, if you're loading your camper for a trip, you can notify the HOA of the dates (quick email) and it's okay to have it in your driveway. I email them every time.

The HOA rules are signed by the property owner at closing when they buy the house. I don't like the fact that it's getting incredibly difficult to bring my camper home because of neighbors parking in the street, in violation of the covenants that they agreed to. Also, I've tried asking them to move, but that only works if they answer the door and even then I've been told no. I've never had any tiff or argument with them at all. I just don't get it.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/19 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

plasticmaster wrote:

I suppose it's more convenient for them to park on street rather than driveway and they don't care if it's an inconvenience to others or safety issue with emergency vehicles.
I think the HOA needs some new rules about street parking. Many do.

Iraqvet05

Greenwood, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hornet28 wrote:

Colo Native wrote:

Where do you live that an HOA can run the streets? They are public roads and HOA's can't run them.

I think most if not all HOA streets/roads are private and marked as such

It depends on the location. We have 3 HOAs in the town I live in. Two HOAs have houses in the $275-350k range and the other has houses in the $450-500k range and all have public streets my city maintains.

2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Can't bring TT home because of neighbors parking in street?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS