|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Sliding Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Rwake901

Central, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/19 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Who has a 6 1/2 ft bed and doesn’t use a sliding hitch? I’ve had two RV dealers and the company that makes the 5th wheel we are interested in tell me I don’t need a sliding hitch with a standard 6 1/2 ft bed. But when I go to Curt’s website (the maker of the hitch) they tell me I do need a sliding hitch. (Plus I emailed them) Who do I believe? I’ve read some other posts where people say they have one but never use it. Thanks for the help.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/19 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You only need a sliding hitch, after you've hit the cab.[emoticon] I've never had a slider, been towing with a standard bed since 99, with no issue. If no common sense, or extreme condition, damage could happen. I think the dealer, and manufacturer are giving proper advice. You just need to be aware, especially until you get used to available clearance.

Jerry

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/19 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The need or not is dependent on the truck, trailer, and hitch. Most newer fivers have rounded cap corners which eliminate the need for a slider but they are all shaped differently. The only way to really know if you need a slider without a hitch installed is to back the truck under the fiver at a 90 degree angle leaving a few inches between the cab and cap. Will the pin be centred in the bed and over the axle? If so, you don’t need a slider.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Jimbee

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/19 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends on the model 5th wheel you're looking at. If it has a Revolution/sidewinder style pin box you won't need a slider. If it's a conventional 5th wheel some models have uniquely shaped noses sculpted for extra clearance around turns. It would be nice to have the slider in case you're in an awkward situation backing in. Better to have it even though you made rarely need it!

Bob Sue

Farmington,Mi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/19 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a slider. Matter of fact get an auto slide, it always works when it should. That way you cant forget to use it. Happy I got mine.

Bob&Sue
2013 Open Range Roamer 5th
2011 Ford F-250
6.7 litre PSD
Pullrite Superglide

Dayle1

Spicewood, Tx

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/19 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't need a slider if you can remember to pay attention. But as already stated some of that depends on the variables. Bed length is not an issue. Cab-to-axle (CA) distance is , GM is the longest, Ford just a little less and Ram is the shortest. Then fiver cap design is the other big factor.

Regardless of setup, you will not get into trouble making a 90 degree forward turn, the steerable wheels of the truck can only turn about 36-37 degrees max. So, a 90 degree turn at full steering cut will only result in a truck to trailer angle of around 45 degrees. You cannot make a 180 degree turn at maximum steering cut, but you can make a 180 degree turn at less than max. steering cut.

Where you will get into trouble is when jockeying back and forth to get into a camp site. That is if you try and get by with the least maneuvering. In 30+ yrs, I've never found a spot I couldn't get into if I was willing to take a little extra time maneuvering. Four SB trucks and 7 fifth wheels and never made contact between truck and fiver.

Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/19 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dead horse here but it depends on the trailer.

On our first RV I never used it. When we changed to our current trailer with our old short bed truck I needed the slide every time I took it home.

And I agree with those that say if you need a sliding hitch to spend the extra $ and get an auto slider. They are more expensive but not needing to stop, drop landing gear, slide, put gear back up gets to be a pain.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

GHop

California

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/19 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not going to tell you what to buy. I have a RAM Mega cab with a short bed and had a slider for 5 years now. Never had to engage the slider and I have gotten into some tight spots. I will say, I believe it depends on the design of the front cap. The corners of the caps on both of our fifth wheels were a cutback design on the corners (Not sure if that is the correct). Get the slider, everything RV cost so go with it. Over time, you are going to waste more money on things you wanted for the RV and never use them.

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/19 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

get an auto slider. Don't ask how I know.

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/19 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camp-n-family wrote:

The only way to really know if you need a slider without a hitch installed is to back the truck under the fiver at a 90 degree angle leaving a few inches between the cab and cap. Will the pin be centred in the bed and over the axle? If so, you don’t need a slider.

Lots of people who have done this hit their cab due to the 5th wheels being on uneven ground and tilting the cap into the cab. The proposed test is presumably done on flat ground. Problem is the world isn't flat [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Sliding Hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS