RV.Net Open Roads Forum: 1st time buyer - 31 vs 35 ft trailer?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 1st time buyer - 31 vs 35 ft trailer?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
frenchmr

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are planning to get a 5th wheel trailer soon and are debating between a trailer that is 31 ft and one that is 35 ft length.

It's our first time pulling a 5th wheel trailer so we are leaning towards the 31 ft trailer so it's easier to pull and find camping spots, but we have 5 kids and the 35 ft one has a dedicated bunk room, plus an extra bathroom and an outdoor kitchen. The 31 ft trailer does have double bunks.

What advice would you have? Should we go with shorter to keep it simpler or is the extra 4 ft not as big of an impact and we should go with one that fits our family better? Our plan is do a fairly even mix of dry camping and campground camping, I'm in Utah.

Here are the models we are considering. Would love any feedback on these two as well.

2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT 26.5BHS
https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2018-eagle-ht-fifth-wheel/265bhs/

HIDEOUT 308BHDS
https://www.keystonerv.com/fifth-wheels/hideout/floorplans/308bhds-fifth-wheel/

Thanks for the help!

* This post was edited 02/28/19 10:59am by frenchmr *

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No question: get the one that fits your family better. Why spend this kind of $$$ for something that won't work for you?
Couple of feet will not make a difference in how it pulls or handles.

On thing I did notice is that the entertainment center on both is at a very uncomfortable viewing angle from the seating....so if you all are going to watch TV or videos, might be a consideration.

Also, make sure you have the truck to handle either and your family (7 people and the dog).

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

frenchmr

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the reply and feedback! The 31 ft trailer can work for us, but we definitely would be a lot more comfortable with the 35 ft one (I forgot to mention we also have 2 dogs!).

On the entertainment center, I agree that it is not at an ideal viewing angle, it seems to be a common place for the newer trailers in this size range floorplan. My hope is we can get a TV mount bracket that can swivel out enough to make it ok for viewing.

Krusty

Calgary, Alberta,Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get the one that is the best fit for your family. You will just need to get adjusted to the larger size. After you are used to pulling it and parking it, it will still be the best trailer for your needs.

Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think you would find much difference towing the 35' vs the 31'. And for that large family, the 35' would be my first choice.

Make sure you have adequate truck to tow it.

frenchmr

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I'm convinced of the 35 ft trailer then, appreciate all of the input! The question now for us is whether to get new or used.

We've wanted to get used, but the local dealer has the Hideout 308HDS (the 35 ft one) listed for $13k off the $45k retail price and I'm sure I could negotiate a bit more off that. What's the general consensus around here of used vs new? Also, is Keystone Hideout a reputable brand option?

As far as the truck, I'm looking to get a 2011-2013 Ford F-250 or 350 Diesel Lariat model. Those years seem to be good years and I'm hoping to get it for around $30k. Any thoughts on this truck?

Thanks for all of the help, it's a big investment for us so we want to make a sound decision.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The length difference between 31' vs 35' is not an issue as far as towing. With 31' trailers you will find a small advantage over the ease when backing into sites. You will find more opportunities to use State Parks in Ca. and some of the older smaller RV parks. I think that Ca. state parks have a limit of 30'. The real important issue on selecting any trailer is rather or not it fits your family size needs. You should also consider what type of RVing do you plan of doing i.e. how many rv trips per year, just week ends, two week trips, 2 month trips etc etc. Part of answer also depends on your RV locations and weather. Areas that have a lot of rain or has real hot temps or cold will mean that you will spend more time inside the RV, thus comfort and space can become more of an issue. The size of your holding tank is more important to me than the length. the bigger the better and easier RVing living will be generally speaking.
In general, most of us when picking out a trailer/5th wheel don't really have a realistic picture of the size difference between living in a regular house and a 5th. wheel.

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always recommend getting the largest RV you can afford that fits your needs.

Reason... if the weather turns bad and you are stuck inside the RV for several days 5 feet extra can help stave off cabin fever from setting in.

Reason 2... most RV'ers will go through 3-4 RVs before they find one that meets there needs when a growing family is involved. So why not get the biggest one.

We were looking at a 35 footer and chose a 38 footer because it provided more counter space in the kitchen area plus had space for a washer dryer. We've had the 38 footer for 22 years and have yet to find a floorplan we like better. It is a very comfortable 5th wheel unfortunately the company went belly up...

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

frenchmr wrote:

I think I'm convinced of the 35 ft trailer then, appreciate all of the input! The question now for us is whether to get new or used.

As far as the truck, I'm looking to get a 2011-2013 Ford F-250 or 350 Diesel Lariat model. Those years seem to be good years and I'm hoping to get it for around $30k. .

Buying a truck is a long term financial decision that we hope we don't have to repeat too often. There is no penalty for having more engine power than we might need but a real penalty if your truck engine is too small for your RV needs. I drive a 3500 1 ton Diesel Dodge truck with a must have Exhaust Brake. IMHO, trying to save a few dollars between the price of a F250 vs F350 is not a wise financial choice.

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5 kids means a family of 7. How are you hauling the kids in a crewcab truck which only had seating for 5 or 6?

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 1st time buyer - 31 vs 35 ft trailer?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS