RV.Net Open Roads Forum: 1st time buyer - 31 vs 35 ft trailer?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 1st time buyer - 31 vs 35 ft trailer?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
RickLIght

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/19 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When everyone says look at the payload they (should) mean add it all up. Not just the trailer but max people of max size (kids grow!), toys, fuel, oil, coolant, tranny oil, hitch, tools, stuff in the bed, etc.

It's all payload and adds up faster than you might imagine. Then add a comfort factor so you aren't maxed out all the time.

Rick,
2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/19 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super_Dave wrote:

guidry wrote:

If you stop for a potty break can you get to the bathroom and refrigerator without putting a slide out? That’s important too.

I see this comment a lot. Are there really that many people that stop in the middle of the road to do their business and get a snack?

I agree with you 100%. Even then, it's like pushing a button for a few seconds to extend a slide is such a hassle that you should never buy a rig that would require such. That got to be one of the last things I'd consider. And besides, there are so few rigs out there which have no bathroom access with slides in that the comment is further not necessary.

And also like those who immediately jump into the solar suggestions. Both of the rigs that the OP is looking at are low-end. I've never heard anyone say they were going to buy a low-end rig so they can have enough money left over to add solar power.

2017 Chevrolet 2500 Duramax Crew Cab Z71
2014 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 6.7 Cummins w/ Aisin, Flatbed
2018 Grand Design Reflection 150 Series 290BH w/ B & W Companion (T/O Ball)
Old Rig:
2005 Wildcat 29BHBP w/ Andersen UH (Aluminum, lowered version for flatbed)
SBGTF

frenchmr

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/19 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went to the local Hideout dealer this afternoon. They have the trailer listed for $33k, retail of $45k. That price is consistent with other dealers in the general region. I tried negotiating down to $30k, but the most they would come down to is $32k. I countered with $31.5k and they wouldn't budge. What kind of discount is reasonable to negotiate? It's my first time buying a new trailer.

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/19 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

frenchmr wrote:

I went to the local Hideout dealer this afternoon. They have the trailer listed for $33k, retail of $45k. That price is consistent with other dealers in the general region. I tried negotiating down to $30k, but the most they would come down to is $32k. I countered with $31.5k and they wouldn't budge. What kind of discount is reasonable to negotiate? It's my first time buying a new trailer.

Hi guys - when I was deep into my negotiation I ended up leaving (as it sounds like you did) and went back (got about 2 miles down the highway and they called) when they gave me a couple hundred dollars off and a few hundred in product from their parts store (I used it towards a hitch and installation). If they let you leave without calling with lower numbers they are likely near their bottom line. I'm sure the dealer is also considering busy season is coming. I think I paid around 31.5K but that was 3 years ago. You're right at the point of a great deal for that unit. If it's local and you have the dealer to stand behind it I'd jump on it if it's really what you want.

RubyMountainHigh

NE Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/19 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would ask them to waive dealer prep, pdi fees, etc. Try to get some upgrades like better batteries, hitch discount etc. I just purchased a 2018 Jayco Eagle @ CW in Kaysville and was able to negotiate an exceptional deal on a 2018 model. Good Luck

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/19 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good idea above, as to the fees. When getting close to final price, be sure it is an out the door price, nothing else added. Even the documentation fee, they will insist needs paying. I agree with them, but say it will come out of your end.

In any case, you need to be prepared to make your deal RIGHT NOW, check book in hand, stating your OTD offer. I never ask...will you take this amount, but instead tell them, I will pay this OTD price right now, or I will be looking else where. Now you can walk out, wait for the call. If no call, you really want the trailer, you can always go back and take their deal.

Jerry

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/19 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Prices and negotiable range surely differ by region.
However, at that price point, you'd be able to get a nicer unit than the Hideout. Get on a Keystone forum and ask others what they were able to get their rig for. I'm guessing $25K is very doable. Don't get concerned with with MSRP. That's an internal made-up number that means nothing.

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/19 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WTP-GC wrote:

Both of the rigs that the OP is looking at are low-end. I've never heard anyone say they were going to buy a low-end rig so they can have enough money left over to add solar power.

I'm looking forward to hearing this explained.

A Jayco Eagle HT 265bhs or a Keystone Hideout 308BHDS are "low end"?
As compared to what?

Are they low end compared to your Grand Design Reflection 150 or a DRV Embassy Suites?

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/19 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Instead of asking me, how about you read the comment made by an actual owner in this thread:
“I own the 308BHDS and it's a great layout. Hideout is the low end of a mediocre manufacturer...”
That’s not me, that’s another owner.
But yes, it is low-end compared to my GD. It doesn’t take an industry expert or RV manufacturers publication to know that the Hideout is low-end for its class and the Jayco is very close to it. I’m not saying it’s bad or that I myself haven’t owned a lower end RV...but to deny that different classes exist and then not be willing to point it out is just foolish.

* This post was edited 03/03/19 05:32pm by an administrator/moderator *

RollandB

Albany, Or

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/19 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with getting the rig that fits your family. We downsized from 35-30’ and fine does give us more sites in State or County Parks we use. 4 ‘ difference doesn’t sound like much but most of the distance was from the hitch to the trailer axles which was noticeable.

We love our floor plan have the two of us and two medium size dogs, occasionally grandkids. Fitting 5 on a rainy weekend could be a challenge.

2005 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab Long Box, Duramax/Allison, B&W Companion, TST507's

2016 Artic Fox 27-5L

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 1st time buyer - 31 vs 35 ft trailer?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS