RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anyone use insect (tick) yard spray before they set up camp?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  General Topics

> Anyone use insect (tick) yard spray before they set up camp?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
brianosaur

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/19 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our local county park out here on the east end of Long Island is swarming with ticks. We usually do our local weekender trips 2x a month and it seems like its getting worse every year.

On one of the first warm trips last year we found several of them on us and at least a half dozen on my Labrador every day . Luckily he's a yellow so they are easy to spot. However, it got exhausting, and creepy, to be on such high alert the entire time. We did use bug tick repellent and dog's on Fipronil (Frontline).

DW said she is NEVER going back to our favorite local campground unless something changes.

So I went to Home Depot and bought a $8 bottle of insect yard spray that connects to a hose, and I convinced her to give it one last shot.

After we backed in, I sprayed the ENTIRE site. I used the entire bottle. I over sprayed as much as possible and the guy next to me asked to hit his site a bit.

I probably did a 50x50 area or more. The woodsy leafy area behind the site got extra spray.

The result? Not one tick on us for three days. I saw one on the camp rug. That's it. None on the dog. None on us. We still sprayed deet on our clothes & Used natural spray and oils on the dog. DW uses Rose geranium oil on him and some natural cinnamon lavender-ry spray concoction.

Rest of the summer we did it another 5 or 6 times. Worked like a charm everytime.

Anyway, not sure if its frowned upon by park management but I really DGAS. I frown on lymes disease so I am using it.

* This post was edited 03/01/19 06:37pm by brianosaur *

Mfan

Otsego,Mi

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/19 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, I do it before the grandkids come especially.

brianosaur

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/19 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mfan wrote:

Yep, I do it before the grandkids come especially.

Good results?

amxpress

Clayton, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/19 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We keep a few cans of Raid yard gaurd spray and before setting up camp, I will spray the area. Not only ticks & fleas, but mosquitoes and gnats are taken care of.

2007 Dodge RAM 2500 Quad Cab w/6.7 Cummins
2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
Reese 15K Pro Series manual slide
Prodigy
Firestone Air Bags
Champion 3500 genny
M.I.L is out of state, out of touch, and out of her mind

NMDriver2

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/19 05:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

amxpress wrote:

We keep a few cans of Raid yard gaurd spray and before setting up camp, I will spray the area. Not only ticks & fleas, but mosquitoes and gnats are taken care of.

Plus it kills all the bees and any other pollinator in the area. [emoticon]

Turret Class traveler

Mfan

Otsego,Mi

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/19 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, nothing on the kids or us. If anyone asks, I just say I'm applying liquid fertilizer

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/19 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good idea, but do not be too obvious about it. In most government sites, it is actually illegal to spray anything harmful to the environment, including bugs. That is why Rangers and maintenance are not allowed to do any spraying. I do sprays, and sometimes powders for ants and whatever. Fogging for mosquitos if needed.

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and a grouchy, old, tiny dog

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/19 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would no longer camp there if ticks were such a problem. There may be legitimate reasons for the owners/agency not spraying the area that you are unaware of. By spraying yourself, you can unintentially do a lot more harm than the little bit of good for your short stay.

I would contact the owner/agency and let them know that the ticks have gotten out of control and therefore you will no longer be staying there. They can then determine whether spraying is a viable choice or not.

In the end, it's not my property to with as I wish. If I don't like how it is, I can choose to go elsewhere.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

brianosaur

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/19 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

I would no longer camp there if ticks were such a problem. There may be legitimate reasons for the owners/agency not spraying the area that you are unaware of. By spraying yourself, you can unintentially do a lot more harm than the little bit of good for your short stay.

I would contact the owner/agency and let them know that the ticks have gotten out of control and therefore you will no longer be staying there. They can then determine whether spraying is a viable choice or not.

In the end, it's not my property to with as I wish. If I don't like how it is, I can choose to go elsewhere.

From what I've been told the county *used* to spray years ago, but it was removed from the budget.
So again, IDGAS and plan on spraying every time.
Pretty much the Parks Dept always gets the short end of the stick.
Camping clubs have been fighting the county for years to get them to invest some money into our parks.

...but dont start me on politics.[emoticon]

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/19 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rather than pollute the entire site, would it not be much better (as well as cheaper in the long run) to treat your dog with NexGuard, the flea & tick killer that comes in a pill the dog takes once a month, and also to spray your clothes, or at least the ones you plan on wearing while camping, with permethrin.

It's a matter of principle for me. Far better to use a little bug poison carefully targeted at the specific bugs that bug you, rather than nuking the entire environment and killing everything that crawls or flys, regardless of whether they bother you. We LIVE out in the woods of Virginia, where the state bird is the gnat and a walk down to the vegetable garden can easily gather a half dozen ticks. A walk across a hay field is guaranteed to collect hundreds of ticks, not to mention chiggers. I didn't have a one last year after I started using permethrin on my clothes.

For those unfamiliar with permethrin, you spray your socks, pants, and shirts with the solution, let them dry and they repel all manner of bugs. Any flea, tick, mosquito, gnat, fly, etc that fails to get the message drops dead in 60 to 90 seconds. As a bonus, the clothes thus treated are good for a whole month, or 6 washings, and you take them with you to the NEXT campsite.

This is the stuff: https://www.cabelas.com/product/Sawyer-reg-Duranon-Permethrin-Insect-Repellent/714807.uts?slotId=0

I have seen it on the shelves at Home Depot, Dick's Sporting Goods, and other fine establishments near you.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  General Topics

> Anyone use insect (tick) yard spray before they set up camp?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS