|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> New Ford F53 Chassis

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/19 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

PastorCharlie wrote:

Its the old 460 redesigned. The 6.8 V10 3 valve 362 HP is a much superior engine.

Close in size, not even close in features and tech.

I too would like to know why you think the 6.8L will be so much better than this one.
Me too. Sounds to me without seeing specs it will have more HP and torque with lower rpms and better fuel economy. With more displacement and fewer cylinder the max torque will be lower than the V-10 , a 10 speed transmission will help keep it in that range. It will be interesting to see the final numbers.

Captain_Happy

Pahrump, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/19 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This all sounds just great, but wait a minute, remember the great write up on the 6.0 from Ford back in the not so long-a-go pass. See how that one worked out. Just like every new coming out on the market, give a couple of years. If Ford has done all the real world testing it ought to already have the numbers.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/19 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Time will tell of it will be superior to the V-10.
And it’s nice to see they are adding new features like ACC and such.
And I do hope they addressed the ridevquality issues. The old F53 rides like a lumber wagon. An air ride option would be great!!!!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/19 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a little surprised that Ford is putting this new engine in the F53 so soon. I figured they would wait a year or so after the engine had been installed in the trucks. If the new V8 is as durable as the V10 Ford will have a winner. In reading the forums over the years I have only come across a couple of articles where someone had a catastrophic V10 engine failure (compared to dozens of failed diesel engines).

Burch

2018 Miramar 35.3
2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500
4 fur kids (Murphy, Monty, Lola and Pinto)

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/19 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Captain_Happy wrote:

If Ford has done all the real world testing it ought to already have the numbers.

Just as with any vehicle, tweaking, tuning and emissions 'stuff' will dramatically affect the hp & torque that hits the road.

My SUV came with 503hp and 465 ft/lb of torque from the factory, with just some very minor physical changes and some electronic tinkering it now puts out over 600hp at the WHEELS.

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/19 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote from article:

"In addition, the 7.3-liter uses an all-new cam-in-block, overhead-valve architecture . . . . ."

I'm not sure what is "all-new" about that cam/valve configuration. Much less complicated, yes, fewer parts, yes, but, time will tell what tricks the Ford engineers have up their sleeve to get more out of less. Back to the 2 valve design on the F53 also? Interesting.

Chum lee

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/19 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rating an engine based upon the transmission is a false engine rating. Rate the 6.8 V10 3 Valve 362 HP coupled to a 10 speed trans. Then compare their performance.

Chassis have nothing to do with engine performance.

vjstangelo

virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/19 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Add'l features from an article I read:

"Additional elements of Ford Co-Pilot 360 technologies become available on Ford commercial vehicles for the new model year. For F-650 and F-750 medium duty trucks, plus E-Series and F-53 and F-59 stripped chassis, traction control, hill start assist and auto headlamps are standard."

2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/19 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Captain_Happy wrote:

This all sounds just great, but wait a minute, remember the great write up on the 6.0 from Ford back in the not so long-a-go pass. See how that one worked out. Just like every new coming out on the market, give a couple of years. If Ford has done all the real world testing it ought to already have the numbers.

Not sure thats a good example. The 6.0 was a diesel, built by Navistar, and sold to Ford. Other than the trucks they went in Ford didn't have a whole lot to do with that one.

On the other hand, when Ford decided it was time to build their own diesel, they came out with the 6.7L. I've owned a few of them, they are a rock solid reliable engine.

Hopefully this new 7.3 gasser is as good.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

jy

south east mich.

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/19 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They could of at least put aluminum wheels on it!

99 Coachmen 322QB, Ford V10,18 foot Load King open trailer, 2007 Mustang GT Toad, Gibson exhaust,Royal Purple lubricants.Recently retired and planning on doing more RV'ing.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> New Ford F53 Chassis
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS