|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> New Ford F53 Chassis

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Yankee Clipper

Cairo, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/19 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 460V8 mated to an E4OD for 12 years, and I had only two gripes with it: 1) the V10 has a lot more power, and with the improved transmission it rides a lot smoother, and 2) the #8 cylinder spit out the exhaust manifold bolt caps twice. The manifold warped enough to break the bolts, or in some cases (not to me, thank goodness)to crack heads.
Ford has had plenty of time since 1997 to improve the 460 design. Remember the early V10s had teething troubles of their own. Let's see what they came up with.

Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS, Duke the overgrown Boxer mascot/lousy watch dog
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/19 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will stick with my old school V-10 with the 5 speed transmission and stay away from another high debt motorhome that will need lots of improvements to get where I am today..

I will wait till a all electric drive motorhome with a big genny to charge the batts while driving down the road that will get about 35 mpg..

[emoticon]

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/19 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jy wrote:

They could of at least put aluminum wheels on it!

Ford will be happy to put aluminum wheels on your new F53 based motorhome, but, in most cases it's a special order extra cost option that most new owners opt out of.

https://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/stripped-chassis/models/f53-motorhome/

Chum lee

* This post was edited 03/08/19 12:01pm by Chum lee *

Pirate

Northeast Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/19 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

I will stick with my old school V-10 with the 5 speed transmission and stay away from another high debt motorhome that will need lots of improvements to get where I am today..

I will wait till a all electric drive motorhome with a big genny to charge the batts while driving down the road that will get about 35 mpg..

[emoticon]
That's where I am at now. 85K miles on a 2006. The "RV" is in great shape. I am fully expecting to put in a new engine at some point, perhaps around 150K miles.

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pirate wrote:

That's where I am at now. 85K miles on a 2006. The "RV" is in great shape. I am fully expecting to put in a new engine at some point, perhaps around 150K miles.

Why do you think you would need a new engine at 150K? There used to be someone that posted here a lot that had a V10 in his van and had over 400K miles on it. Pulled a large travel trailer. I think he said he went through a few starters and alternators but the engine was original.

2018 Miramar 35.3
2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500
4 fur kids (Murphy, Monty, Lola and Pinto)

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MetalGator wrote:

Pirate wrote:

Why do you think you would need a new engine at 150K? There used to be someone that posted here a lot that had a V10 in his van and had over 400K miles on it. Pulled a large travel trailer. I think he said he went through a few starters and alternators but the engine was original.

I think 150k is a reasonable guess as to when major engine work might be required. I have a friend with a 350 Chevy that has 550k on the original engine. But it's the exception, not the rule (he also burns a quart of oil every 500 miles). I have a 2006 V10 as well. 87k, and it burns no oil. My wife asked me how long the engine would last. I told her I, of course, didn't know for sure, but it was probably good for at least 150k, which for us would be 6 or 7 more years with this RV. My 2 cents....

Al

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pirate wrote:

timmac wrote:

[emoticon]

Only 45,000 miles on my 08 Bounder, if you change the oil once per year with Mobile One full synthetic oil and service the radiator/transmission every 30,000 miles you should see 250,000 miles or more..

Pirate

Northeast Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MetalGator wrote:

Pirate wrote:

Wife is in a wheelchair. It would be a pita to breakdown anywhere. I am trying to be really proactive in preventing problems. Discussed this with the man I may use to put in a new engine. He said he has hand new (crates) come back with problems so nothing is guaranteed. 150K is just a number. May be more or less.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As to the longevity of the V-10. its as bullet proof as they come. they are known to go over 400k without issues. the biggest problems are the exhaust manifold studs breaking (wont leave you stranded) and the very early 2000-01 V-10`s would pop a spark plug if they were overtorqued! Other wise if you maintain it regularly it will last to well over 200k miles with nothing more than routine maint!

I hope the new 7.3 is as reliable as the V-10 is! it has big shoes to fill and as I said, time will tell.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/19 11:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

Not sure thats a good example. The 6.0 was a diesel, built by Navistar, and sold to Ford.

The 6.0 block was built by Navistar...the rest was Ford.

Having a bullet proof 460 in Red, I look forward to the new 7.3 gasser, it should be a beast. Like the old diesels.....new electric ones not so much.

* This post was edited 03/09/19 11:13pm by mountainkowboy *

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> New Ford F53 Chassis
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS