|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Backing a 5th wheel up a Steep Driveway

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/19 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm familiar.
Before we brought the 5th home I had the dealer remove the spare and put it in the storage bay. I had lumber to throw in the valley where the drive meets the street, but didnt need it. I'm OK but I always back into the drive at an angle. The rear levelling jacks just kiss my drive. So far, so good.
I would talk to the dealer and see if the leveleing jacks could be raised 1 or 2 holes up. Remove the underbody spare if you have one. Build some ramps. Maybe just some 4ft length of 2x6 to throw under the tires at the worst spot.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2014 Montana High Country 305RL
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

goldline

Southwest

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/19 11:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you to everyone for your feedback! Sounds like the sloped driveway issue is not uncommon. When getting my truck, I plan on renting a 5th wheel around the 35' length and try backing it in. If needed, will place the wood boards/planks many of you suggested. Thanks again and very much appreciative for your feedback!!!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/19 01:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim&Sharon wrote:

Yeah, planks to raise the rear up was my first thought also. But since the trailer see-saws on the wheels, that would lower the front of the trailer, hitting the truck rails maybe.
Sorry, I've got no answer but to try it.

Actually, planks will not induce a see-saw effect as it raises the pivot point.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

nremtp143

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/19 01:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there any reason as in an ordinance or pouring concrete out into the street area and raise it like a ramp to make the driveway less of an angle? It would be semi-permanent and could be removed, but you could change the entire slope in a day with a few guys a few forms and a little concrete.

2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

pinesman

virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/19 05:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not know how big your lot is but is there any possibility of adding a second driveway that might be more manageable?

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/19 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

I'm familiar.
Before we brought the 5th home I had the dealer remove the spare and put it in the storage bay. I had lumber to throw in the valley where the drive meets the street, but didnt need it. I'm OK but I always back into the drive at an angle. The rear levelling jacks just kiss my drive. So far, so good.
I would talk to the dealer and see if the leveleing jacks could be raised 1 or 2 holes up. Remove the underbody spare if you have one. Build some ramps. Maybe just some 4ft length of 2x6 to throw under the tires at the worst spot.

Problem is, if your jacks are electric and you raise them, you could lose the ability to move them manually if the motor cr@ps out. I was thinking I might have to do the same thing, but I have about 2" of clearance getting in and out of my storage. I've seen some really short jacks, but they telescope. I've also seen some that fold away.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/19 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Consider an air hitch, mine has around 4 inches of vertical adjustment from full inflate to total deflate. You can then use air to raise and lower the rear of the trailer as needed. 4 inches of drop on the pin is going to be pretty close to 4 inches of rise of the rear. Best part, you get to enjoy the hitch the rest of the time when towing.

Likes to tow

Huntington WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Word of caution!! Anytime you are backing up a steep incline, the transmission can get really hot. Torque converter never locks and the fluid connection will build heat quickly so if you are having a hard time getting it positioned and taking an extremely long time you may want to let the transmission cool some. Leave the shift selector in N (neutral) while you fast idle the engine. I don't think transmissions will circulate fluid if in P (park). You should allow transmission to cool down before continuing.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Above is a good thing to keep in mind. On pavement, once rig is closer to straight, I shift to 4wd low, to take strain off from transmission, when backing uphill. This is even more important in a situation such as OP, that requires very slow uphill, stopping to check, restarting, and adding/removing boards, if needed.

Jerry

Njmurvin

Simi Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Above is a good thing to keep in mind. On pavement, once rig is closer to straight, I shift to 4wd low, to take strain off from transmission, when backing uphill. This is even more important in a situation such as OP, that requires very slow uphill, stopping to check, restarting, and adding/removing boards, if needed.

Jerry

Excellent point!! I also use 4Lo to back up over a curb, over a horse trail and into my driveway to get a straight shot at my gate. Truck and trailer just slowly crawl along with virtually no resistance. Using 4Lo causes much less slippage of the torque converter thereby reducing heat. Same goes for backing into campsites where it takes multiple shots to get it right.

2004.5 Dodge 3500 4x4 Laramie SWB QuadCab CTD, 48RE (auto), Putco Boss Bars, Pullrite Superglide, LineX, Prodigy, PacBrake

2011 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Backing a 5th wheel up a Steep Driveway
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS