RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Good boon-docking RV with good ground clearance?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Good boon-docking RV with good ground clearance?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Plan B RV

PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/19 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Question: Could you give me example of good clearance RV that you have used or seen to boon-dock?
I have plan to buy huge 5th wheel with bad ground clearance and try to boon-dock.
I will have to increase ground clearance:
from 12” (Angle of departure %7 AKA 12.5 slope)
to 24” (Angle of departure %14 AKA 25 slope)

I could try to calculate clearance and angel of arrival/departure based on your RV suggestion. Then compare to 5th wheel and decide if my plan is sound.

Extra info if interested: Plan to flip axle + slightly bigger tire= extra 6” of clearance.
Plus airbag suspension pumped up to max. when off-road. Hopefully another 6” increase. Totaling 12” extra. But since rear overhang on 5th wheel over 90”, even increase of 12” sounds not enough.
On other hand, I will be towing illegally in most states because 5th wheel height 13.5 feet. By adding 6”, I will make RV height to 14 feet.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/19 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Watch carefully the height at manufacturers listed measurements, if you are looking at full profile %ers they can get too tall quickly.
Overpasses, gas stations etc, everything gets more complicated.

Edit add, You may want to look at the Glacier Peak 5ers from Outdoors RV.
http://outdoorsrvmfg.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Mountain-Titanium-Brochure.pdf

They start with a 12'11" height, heavier wall construction. But you wont find any/many on the east coast.

* This post was edited 03/06/19 08:54am by wanderingaimlessly *

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/19 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're boondocking in the northeast, where there are lots of trees, I suspect the extra height would be at least as much of a problem as the extra ground clearance reduces. Most forest service roads are not exactly actively maintained with regards to overhead clearances for tall and wide vehicles. Likewise the width and length of a large fifth wheel will pose problems on many such roads even if the height and ground clearance are okay.

Things are different in the plains and many areas of the west, I suspect, where it's far more wide-open.

A little trailer, suitably set up, or a pickup camper seem to me the most effective back-road RV (at least that could be afforded by a person of more or less ordinary means).

Lwiddis

Crestview area, Inyo County, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/19 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only occasionally does ground clearance of my relatively low TT come into play when I camp. Rear overhang is more of a concern IMO. Dont see a bunch of big boys boondocking in ruff country.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/19 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Primitive camping in any RV equals trees and often unimproved roads, washouts, water crossings and other assorted issues for a pull behind. You could do an axle flip to gain ground clearance but the height issue will nail you anyway.

Why my wife and I have a truck camper in a 4x4 diesel pickup.,

Tell us when you make your first trip, I want to be an observer when you destroy your fifth wheel, because you will.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Plan B RV

PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/19 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wanderingaimlessly: Ground clearance on Glacier Peak looks great, but floor plan too small. We need office space and 374th living room has 2 couches in slides that we can remove and put desks. AND we need that garage. Thank you.
[image]

DrewW: Pickup camper indeed has best clearance. About 8” ground, %30 angle of arrival/departure.

SidecarFlip: I will do one better, I will film it for you and post it on youtube [emoticon]

* This post was edited 03/06/19 12:57pm by Plan B RV *

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/19 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heres something for boondocking,
and pretty good ground clearance too
[emoticon]

https://youtu.be/m3OcmZMpvEQ

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/19 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For your rear overhang....you will eventually have an issue. We heavily recommend a good, heavy duty roller. Mounted beneath the frame, as close to the rear as is possible....as wide as possible! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Plan B RV

PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/19 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb wrote:

For your rear overhang....you will eventually have an issue. We heavily recommend a good, heavy duty roller. Mounted beneath the frame, as close to the rear as is possible....as wide as possible! memtb

I have idea to install 7,000 lbs axle with 10 inch forklift tires. about 7" from rear of RV. With top of the tire recessed (about 3") into floor of rv.
Each tire rated at 2725 lbs.
Axle will be hanging until right before rear would have made contact with ground.
[image]

* This post was last edited 03/07/19 02:25pm by Plan B RV *   View edit history

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/19 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plan B RV, That is quite an undertaking! However, with the tires only 6” to 8” wide, it leaves a lot of unprotected area between and on the outside of the tries.... if you have a raised spot, or the tire drops into a hole or rut, you may still have contact at the camper rear. Hence the roller side to side, it will take care of any high or low!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Good boon-docking RV with good ground clearance?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS