RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Good boon-docking RV with good ground clearance?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Good boon-docking RV with good ground clearance?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/19 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welp, as they say. “There’s an arse for every seat.”
I’ll add, if you need axle flips, lifts, big trailer tires, skid wheels etc, you’ll beat the he!! Out of your truck getting the trailer there. Better make it a GN too so you don’t rip the 5ver hitch out of the truck bed while you’re smashing the nose of the trailer into the bed sides.
I’m all for modifying stuff to suit my wants or needs, but there’s a limit to what’s practical.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/19 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For many trailers, at least, an axle at the far end would tend to bend or otherwise damage the frame if it carries weight at all frequently. They are not designed to be supported by the extreme ends, but rather from the middle primarily. I'm sure there are a few exceptions that are relatively overbuilt; however most RVs are about as far from being overbuilt as they can get away with, speaking generally.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/19 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

For many trailers, at least, an axle at the far end would tend to bend or otherwise damage the frame if it carries weight at all frequently. They are not designed to be supported by the extreme ends, but rather from the middle primarily. I'm sure there are a few exceptions that are relatively overbuilt; however most RVs are about as far from being overbuilt as they can get away with, speaking generally.

If the trailer has a good frame, lifting from the rear should transfer a substantial amount of weight to the tow vehicle. This is from experience .... once had to lift a 34’, 16000 pound 5er, approximately 4 1/2 to 5 feet from the rear....to lift it off of a 8” diameter steel post. Don’t ask! [emoticon]

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

BizmarksMom

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/19 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I primarily boondock. That's why I went with a Nash travel trailer. Specifically the 22h. No slides. Well built suspension. Good ground clearance.

2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/19 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BizmarksMom wrote:

I primarily boondock. That's why I went with a Nash travel trailer. Specifically the 22h. No slides. Well built suspension. Good ground clearance.

Great. OP want's to boonydock a "huge 5th wheel." About as comparable as apples and spaghetti. I mean they're both food, but?

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/19 03:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

BizmarksMom wrote:

Great. OP want's to boonydock a "huge 5th wheel." About as comparable as apples and spaghetti. I mean they're both food, but?

I wish him luck if he's going to attempt boon docking in PA with that 41' monster. True Boondocking in PA is usually Allegheny National Forest or one of the PA State Forest districts. Not a lot of choices and the roads to where most of it is available are tree choked and little more than goat trails, especially to the dispersed sites in the state forests. I've done quite a few in both the state and ANF and can't imagine doing it with a 41' TH. It's hard enough with a 25' trailer that's only @ 11' high.

One would also have to consider doing it with an LCI frame. It would probably twist in half on that monster of a rig first time on one of those forest service roads. Better take welder and rod along with some misc pieces of iron just in case, maybe a couple of small wide flange beams.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Good boon-docking RV with good ground clearance?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS