|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Slide Out Mechanisms

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/19 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timtation wrote:

Rack and pinion. When all else fails, get out the crank.

Its easier to pull the pins on both sides, slide the small gear over and push the slide in and than reinstall the pins.

fdwt994

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/19 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyemunson wrote:

Hard to avoid getting anything without the Lippert/Schwintek style these days. It is actually a reliable system IF the install was done properly although the weaker sidewall construction of TTs (compared to motorized RVs) makes getting one built right a little chancy. With this type of construction, routine maintenance is crucial BUT much easier than on others. YouTube has several good videos, some by the mfg. that show how simple it is. Those who do not lubricate with the recommended CRC Power Lube constitute the majority of those who have issues. These systems had problems with everything in the beginning but are quite reliable now. The nice thing about them is with both a top and bottom gear rack on each side of the slide, the slide is held in place much better going down the road and the need for a piece of broomstick wedged at the top when closed is no longer an issue. Recently the aluminum racks have begun to be replaced with steel ones which should make the mechanism even more durable.
Curious why you say that the majority of those who have issues are the ones that don't lubricate? My technician told me the majority of issues are due to low voltage.

2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2013 Palomino Solaire 307QBDSK
A family who loves to camp!

CincyGus

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/19 02:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slide out Comparison

2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

Ralph Cramden

Not on this rag of a forum

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/19 03:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

Hannibal wrote:

We’ve had three rack and pinion slide trailers. I won’t even consider anything else.

Power gear rack and pinion here also, I think its the best slide system on the market..

They were probably great until bought out by Lippert in 2014. It sometimes takes them a few years to cheapen and re-engineer a product they acquired to meet the business model. That business model is cheapen it to the point of failure shortly after the warranty period, and then overprice proprietary replacement parts by about 300% over what they're actually worth.

Schwintek- If the box itself and the opening are built correctly, and if the racks are installed correctly, and if they're aligned correctly, they're not all that bad. That's a lot of if's, especially in 2019 with the quick shoddy assembly and total lack or any QC or QA in RV factories. They're great for smaller slides such as wardrobe slides. Not so much for a 14' long full height slide with half a kitchen inside it. Think about it. Trying to move hundreds or close to a thousand pounds or more with two electric motors the size of the ones in a Harbor Freight Cordless Drill, and chances are good the motor in the HF drill may be better quality than the ones LCI outsourced. I shouldn't B&M. I've made quite a few bucks repairing Schwintek slides in the last 5 or so years. Probably 75% of the time its an alignment issue or other RV manufacturer install issue like lack of or not enough rollers.

* This post was edited 03/20/19 04:17am by Ralph Cramden *

trailer_newbe

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/19 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rack and pinion is the best IMO

2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

fdwt994

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/19 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trailer_newbe wrote:

Rack and pinion is the best IMO

Yep. My next camper will NOT have Schwintek.

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/19 05:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I had my way, my next camper wouldn’t have a slide. Climbing up onto the roof to hose or sweep it off before bringing it in every time is good exercise but...

'10 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73 103k miles
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'. Reese HP Trunnion 800

djgarcia2

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 01:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all very much for the input, this has been super helpful, much appreciated!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Slide Out Mechanisms
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS