|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Extended Warranty Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've purchased our bumper to bumper extended warranty at the dealership before the new warranty expired.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SweetLou wrote:

So my extended warranty just ran out. I went to the dealer to find how to extend it again. I about had a heart attack when he told me that for a 3 yr pay in 18 mo no interest would cost me $8100.00/yr. Almost as much as my truck payment. I have a 2013 Ram 3500 diesel with under 74K mi. My question is where are you guys getting the extended warranty from? What would you do? In this day and a age, a sensor goes out and it's $1400. Curious what all of you are doing.

$8100

[emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon] You sure they were not saying 8 year 100K policy? [emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon]

That is a company that should be reported to the BBB!

We paid $2435 for a 8 year 120K FCA extend warranty which was like 100-150 more than the dealer noted above. We did this at delivery time. We had wired the payment of the truck to the dealer before flying to Colorado to take delivery and drive it back to Washington.

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow. Based on your accumulated miles, that cost is equivalent to paying over a dollar per mile for a warranty. That's like paying fifteen bucks a gallon for diesel, with the downside of not being able to drive anywhere with it. At 74k, that engine is starting to hit its stride. I would consider a severe maintenance schedule, using the finest fluids and filters including a quality fuel lubricant. I would take the gamble and forget the warranty. It's like betting that you might get hosed versus knowing you are getting hosed.

fitznj

nj

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put money aside each month and find a local "ex-dealer" mechanic, establish a
relationship with the mechanic and have them work on your vehicle. I've done
this with every car I've had over the past 30? years (Chevy, VW, Mercedes, Dodge) - worked for me. Cars are really reliable today that rarely have I needed
anything outside regular maintenance and consumables like brakes/shocks.

I had a sensor fail recently, the OBD told me which sensor, $93 for the
sensor and 20 minutes of my time. Done.

Gerry

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I generally keep my vehicles for 20 years or more and have never spent that kind on money on repairs. As others have recommended, just put some of that money in the bank and pay as you go.

Two things to keep in mind:
1) Insurance companies are in business to make money by charging you more than they expect to return.

2) The golden rule of business: The person with the gold makes the rules. Once they have your gold(money) they get to make the rules on how and if to return it. I have heard several complaints on non-factory warranties.

I am in my late 50's and raised a bunch kids. I don't believe that I have spent $8,000 on every car repair that might be covered by a warranty I have ever had combined.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Put $500 aside each month for three years, and what you then have available becomes a nice down payment on a new truck three years from now.

you are assuming that he has and wants to spend/save $6,000 a year out of pocket. I got 8 or 10 years on my truck factory warranty for a lot less than that one year figure.
bumpy

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you will find that the OP was in error, or the dealer was shady, on that high price. A quick online check told me that the price is approx. $4,000 for three years.

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

I think you will find that the OP was in error, or the dealer was shady, on that high price. A quick online check told me that the price is approx. $4,000 for three years.

I was not in Error. The quote came directly from the dealership in Blythe CA. (9900 for 3 yrs $100 deduc, or 8100 for $200 deduct.) This was again from a dealership. A lot less if you go with others that were recommended here. I agree with everyone. Better to save the quarters and use it if you need to, rather than get into a contract. I was just shocked at what they wanted.

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm at 165k miles and the repairs I've had to pay out of pocket I'm still money ahead vs purchasing a extended warranty.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SweetLou wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

I was not in Error. The quote came directly from the dealership in Blythe CA. (9900 for 3 yrs $100 deduc, or 8100 for $200 deduct.) This was again from a dealership. A lot less if you go with others that were recommended here. I agree with everyone. Better to save the quarters and use it if you need to, rather than get into a contract. I was just shocked at what they wanted.

That's a 100% rip off.
I see warrantied and ext warranties being useful to those that aren't mechanically inclined, but even at that, the several thousand you've spent already and the few thousand more you "could" pay for another warranty is now about 6 grand out of pocket.
6 grand buys a lot of warranty type repairs.
Other than emissions, presuming you're not deleted, there aren't any big prevalent issues with your truck whether it's the old 3rd gen chassis or the new 4th gen chassis.

* This post was edited 03/09/19 06:57pm by Grit dog *

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Extended Warranty Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS