|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Extended Warranty Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SweetLou wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

I think you will find that the OP was in error, or the dealer was shady, on that high price. A quick online check told me that the price is approx. $4,000 for three years.

I was not in Error. The quote came directly from the dealership in Blythe CA. (9900 for 3 yrs $100 deduc, or 8100 for $200 deduct.) This was again from a dealership. A lot less if you go with others that were recommended here. I agree with everyone. Better to save the quarters and use it if you need to, rather than get into a contract. I was just shocked at what they wanted.

Sounds to me like a case of they really don't want to do an extended warranty for the vehicle, but will offer it at a ridiculous price in case the buyer is bad enough at math to realize how badly they would be getting ripped off.

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have purchased extended warranties twice, and neither time did they "pay off".

Just bought a used Jeep yesterday. The dealer wanted $4000 for an additional 120,000 miles of coverage. I know repairs can be expensive, but that just seems like a lot of money to bet against your vehicle.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/19 05:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

p220sigman wrote:

SweetLou wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

I think you will find that the OP was in error, or the dealer was shady, on that high price. A quick online check told me that the price is approx. $4,000 for three years.

I was not in Error. The quote came directly from the dealership in Blythe CA. (9900 for 3 yrs $100 deduc, or 8100 for $200 deduct.) This was again from a dealership. A lot less if you go with others that were recommended here. I agree with everyone. Better to save the quarters and use it if you need to, rather than get into a contract. I was just shocked at what they wanted.

Sounds to me like a case of they really don't want to do an extended warranty for the vehicle, but will offer it at a ridiculous price in case the buyer is bad enough at math to realize how badly they would be getting ripped off.

They did ask me if I wanted to trade my truck in. Hook line sinker

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/19 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, they didn't get you hook line n sinker because you don't have a new payment sitting in your driveway whether it's in a new wrapper or an old one!
Good call.
I wouldn't bet $9k against your truck in this case. I wouldn't bet $4k against it.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/19 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep your truck well serviced and don't worry about it. My truck is out of warranty too and I'm not at all concerned.

Like others have said, chances are that a couple of repairs here and there are much more economical than those rip off extended warranties.

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

ib516

Canada - soon to be Costa Rica

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're far better off putting money in a savings account for possible repairs than paying for some junky aftermarket warranty where they will find something in the fine print to not cover your issue anyway.

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
All above are sold
Current: 07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/19 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

they will find something in the fine print to not cover your issue anyway

BINGO!

That has been my experience with extended warranties. They take your money, but then have a very specific set of hoops you have to jump through with regards to what broke, where you get it fixed, how you get it fixed, and how much they will pay (usually ZERO).

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Gulfcoast

Southeast

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/19 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I warranty my own truck.

Ozlander

Rose Hill, Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/19 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gulfcoast wrote:

I warranty my own truck.

Yep, always have.

Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

mosseater

Dillsburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/19 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had two longer term vehicles and both had several repairs...after the extended warranty WOULD have run out. I don't bother.

"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Extended Warranty Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS