RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Building New Campground. Opinions Welcome!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Building New Campground. Opinions Welcome!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
Sponsored By:
Packbacker

Wade

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My family is working on building a new campground from scratch and we would like to get some opinions from campers or campground owners. We considered building right off a major interstate on about 35 acres but are now looking at building on our own property. Our property is 12 minutes from the interstate. It is located on 500 acres of beautiful longleaf pine with unique sandhills topography and river access. We plan to offer typical park amenities such as pool, playground, splash pad, bath houses, etc. We also have miles of walking/bicycle trails, access to the slow, tranquil river and cabins rentals. Our main question we'd like opinions on is whether this type of park would be more attractive to campers versus a park right off the interstate and would the 12 minute drive be a turnoff? Also worth noting that the 12 minute drive is a 4 lane highway that is 55mph the entire ride.

Flan

NE

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leave as many trees as possible! Nothing worse then “camping” on something that looks like a football field!

Whammon1

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The real question is what other attractions are in the area to make this a destination type trip?

Easy on easy off is great and I would prefer something off the interstate to avoid road noise myself.

Happytraveler

Capistrano Beach, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a dog park make sure it has two double gates at both ends of the park.

Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your proximity to attractions will be the driving point in attendance more than the Interstate location versus off the beaten path. If no or little attractions in your neck of the woods, I'd go with the 'Off the Interstate' property because all you'll get is transient campers.

I considered doing the same thing and we have the attractions but I don't want the hassle of dealing with idiots and there are a ton of RV idiots.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whammon1 wrote:

The real question is what other attractions are in the area to make this a destination type trip?

Easy on easy off is great and I would prefer something off the interstate to avoid road noise myself.

Bingo... Why would a potential customer be in the area anyway? What are you building or is nearby that would convince someone to stay more than overnight? If I’m just needing an overnight then what you have proposed is an expense I wouldn’t want to pay for thru higher fees, nor would I drive 12 miles to stay there.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

Packbacker

Wade

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The park itself is located in a small country town but is a 10 minute drive in two different directions to grocery stores, resturaunts and golf courses and a 15 minute drive to a mid-major city with MANY attractions including all the resturaunts you could want, museums, movie theaters and a brand new minor league baseball stadium opening this spring. It is also located just 30 minutes from a major military base.

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast - Winter in AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SideCarFlip and Wildtoad echo my thoughts. From a business standpoint the just off the Freeway Park may be best if no major reasons for people to drive 12 miles and stay longer. I would envision something like Durango RV near Red Bluff, California. Check that one out from Google Earth.

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flan wrote:

Leave as many trees as possible! Nothing worse then “camping” on something that looks like a football field!

Agree -- and enough space between campgrounds so that we don't have hear moaning and giggles from another site, nor ours.

Iraqvet05

Greenwood, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would travel the extra 12 minutes to get away from the interstate. I also find those interstate CGs often cater to those wanting to stay just a night or two so they are crammed in to maximize profit. As far as amenities, I usually don't pay much attention to those CGs. In my area it's too cold for pools 7-8 months out of the year anyway. When my kids were younger, they were happy with a nice playground and some room to throw around a baseball or football.

2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Building New Campground. Opinions Welcome!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS