RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Building New Campground. Opinions Welcome!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Building New Campground. Opinions Welcome!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The two sites would attract very different clientele. Right off the interstate will be a lot of travelers for one nighters, although between you and me, I also would prefer getting far enough off the interstate to get away from the road noise, even just for one night. And I have driven as much as 20 miles off the highway for a campground, when traveling areas with few CGs available. I think the choice will indeed depend on what other attractions there are nearby and how many CGs there are. If you are the only one for miles and miles, it will matter less which you choose.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 on Iraqvet05, and pull threws are great. short drive not a problem ,put a big sign at the freeway. game room for kids ,laundry, and priced right ,were not all rich. service and friendly staff. p.s book me a spot.

Lwiddis

Crestview area, Inyo County, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The crowd that just wants to stop won't drive the 12 minutes. Do you want to an overnight stop or a two/three+ night destination campground? You need a complete business plan before you decide to build anything, anywhere.

* This post was edited 03/08/19 03:37pm by Lwiddis *

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Whammon1

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds a lot like Fayetteville, NC to me!

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flan wrote:

Leave as many trees as possible! Nothing worse then “camping” on something that looks like a football field!

The OP is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

I love parking under the trees. But I have friends who refuse to park under/around trees.

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Packbacker

Wade

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As far as pricing goes, we plan to be comparable to but no higher, than the interstate parks that are within an hour drive from us.

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Packbacker wrote:

Our main question we'd like opinions on is whether this type of park would be more attractive to campers versus a park right off the interstate and would the 12 minute drive be a turnoff? Also worth noting that the 12 minute drive is a 4 lane highway that is 55mph the entire ride.

I'll echo what has been previously said- both have appeal. But generally to 2 different audiences. For the country RV park, you'll attract people who want to stay for a weekend or a week (or longer!) because of the campground/RV park feel. For the one on the interstate, you'll attract travelers who are just passing through.

For the interstate, is it a major thoroughfare that you'd regularly have people who need to stop?

Both appeal to me, just for different reasons.

Just please don't charge extra for kids!

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whammon1 wrote:

The real question is what other attractions are in the area to make this a destination type trip?

Easy on easy off is great and I would prefer something off the interstate to avoid road noise myself.

Ditto, if you decide to do make sure there are plenty of big signs showing the way. Plus you might consider, I don't know how much this would cost, getting one of those camping signs added to the Interstate exit signs. By big I mean something like a 5 or 6 ft sign not a giant billboard.

You are obviously in the south, just roughly what area are you talking about. Are there a lot of other CG in the area. In my opinion I-10 in the FL panhandle and in AL & Ms is under served.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

lots2seeinmyrv

Neither Here nor There

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We prefer less amenities. A quiet loop for "Adult Only" Seniors like Buckhorn Lake RV Resort in TX. They had a Family section and an Adult Section.

Would drive 12 miles for the country setting.

Space between sites with privacy.

Clean bathrooms, showers, laundry room.

blownstang01

Upstate NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally, I have no problem driving 12 miles from the interstate to a CG. However, does that make it 12 miles from the nearest store, fuel station, and how about cell reception ? Things like that do turn me off. I like being away from busy areas, but not a 20 minute drive from basic needs. Good Luck !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Building New Campground. Opinions Welcome!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS