RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Building New Campground. Opinions Welcome!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Building New Campground. Opinions Welcome!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/19 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike brez wrote:

You couldent offend me if you tried. yep we are the cheapest [emoticon]

I found that being the cheapest in town brought in more undesirables.

I raised my rates (after remodeling and upgrades) to slightly under the most expensive and my occupancy shot up.

People perceive higher prices as a better experience.

Less stolen towels, too.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

mike brez

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/19 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Katuna wrote:

mike brez wrote:

I raised my rates (after remodeling and upgrades) to slightly under the most expensive and my occupancy shot up.

Less stolen towels, too.

You are right on the money. We did the same.
We were one of the least expensive in the area.
We did a remodel and raised the rates. Our occupancy rate is almost unbelievable. We still have a huge towel issue though. Ooh well 19 more days to go.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/19 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Packbacker wrote:

Thanks to everyone for your input so far. We are good to go on zoning, water and septic and are in the process of moving forward. Regarding the land closer to the interstate, we found out a few months back that there wasn't enough sewer capacity left at the property to support the park and upgrading the system was a dealbreaker for us which is what prompted us to look at some of our own property. While we realize the type of park we're proposing would be looked at as more a "destination" park, we still feel like we can catch our fair share of overnighters due to the relatively short drive from the interstate. From our feasabilty study to campers we've personally spoken with and input from forums like this, it sounds like that would be the case.

With that being said, I have another question to all of you regarding cable. Being that this is a new park from the ground up, do many of you still see a need for cable or would excellent Wifi be sufficient for todays camper? Lots of people we spoken with personally feel like cable is becoming a thing of the past and along with Wifi we have excellent local antenna channels in the area.
I'd think about putting in cable and forget about WiFi. Why go to the expense when it will no doubt be overwhelmed with HD video streaming as stated. I have a phone with a hotspot that I can connect devices to and we can surf or Netflix all we want, or check the commercial coverage. OTOH, I have been to a few parks with cable, and was basically underwhelmed - mostly because I had to pay big bucks for a longer cable at the camp store because the placement of the power pole in my site. We usually rent a movie from the local RedBox or have our own.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/19 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have to put your money on one, go with Wifi for sure. Its the future.

That said, my wife loves some non-air channels and I like a non-air sports channel. Could we stream them? Probably, and may very well start doing that soon. For now, its always a bonus when we find the channels we like at a CG.

Bottom line for us is that crappy Wifi is a No Stay and no cable makes no difference to us.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/19 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike brez wrote:

Big Katuna wrote:

mike brez wrote:

Less stolen towels, too.

You are right on the money. We did the same.
We were one of the least expensive in the area.
We did a remodel and raised the rates. Our occupancy rate is almost unbelievable. We still have a huge towel issue though. Ooh well 19 more days to go.
Worm sure has turned in the last 10 posts. Gone from the argument that paying more than the minimum was for stupid people and being the lowest cost provider was the way to go. Now, everything comes up rosy when you charge higher rates. You get a better class of guests and the occupancy rises. It took a little time, but thanks for supporting my position.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/19 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

Worm sure has turned in the last 10 posts. Gone from the argument that paying more than the minimum was for stupid people and being the lowest cost provider was the way to go. Now, everything comes up rosy when you charge higher rates. You get a better class of guests and the occupancy rises. It took a little time, but thanks for supporting my position.

It's all about "perceived value". Put an old set of tires on your lawn with a "Free" sign and they might sit there for a week or more. Put a $20 sign on them and they'll disappear overnight... [emoticon]

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

AikenRacer

Aiken, S.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/19 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FHU with concrete pads

2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart

doxiemom11

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 12:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your site size is long, but very much appreciated by many. We have met people with rigs that were very very long. We ourselves are only 48' but we also have a vehicle to park behind that. Not having our front or rear ends hanging an inch into the road is good. Also 40'ft is not that wide. Have been on sites that were 35' wide and still felt packed in. The more space between rigs the better. We would most definitely drive 12 miles to a smaller country campground. We try NOT to ever stay next to the interstate. It's too noisy.

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 03:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good Luck. Having done a little development over the last 30 years, but never a campground or RV park, unless the OP is in Backwater Podunk USA that still is in the 1950's I can only imagine the cost, time, and red tape involved with approvals, permits, and such. Especially so when it comes to sewage and environmental aspects. Hopefully not a lot of NIMBYS around which can be a hurdle all in itself. Be ready to deal with multiple government entities who all have their hand out. The entire process just to get to the point of being able to move some dirt is an experience to behold and an expensive one. River access? wait until you see what that entails getting anywhere close with the EPA, ACOE, and a host of others. The first thing the OP needs is a really good Attorney who understands the local approval process and is not the local bankruptcy or liability lawtard.

I have not been involved in developing a campground or RV resort, but have been involved in ripping out two nice ones in favor of commercial properties due to urban sprawl in western PA that had been in existence for years. One for a large shopping complex, the other is now the site of a UPMC hospital / clinic.

Unless you have some major draw like the ocean or some other touristy thing, and a highly accommodating government hierarchy in your area from the Feds on down, I don't see the ROI being there for developing such a facility from scratch. We have some condos in the early planning stages right now in a resort area of MD. For the 28 condos it looks like our sewer tap fees are going to be in the order of $5200 unless we can get them negotiated down. That's $5200.00 X 28, $150K followed by the monthly fee @ $45 for each owner. To put in a campground or Park in that same area the developer would encounter the exact same thing on a per site basis, but every jurisdiction is different.

Sounds like the OP is in the south where at least they don't have the 6-8 month limited seasonal use aspect to deal with. I guess there is always the possibility of one having the land and money to piss away, to just take on such a thing out of the desire and love just to do it, but I don't see the ROI without all the stars and planets aligning.

With all the brouhaha generated on RV boards about how hard it is finding sites, one would think Parks and Campgrounds would be popping up everywhere, but you don't see it happening.

* This post was edited 03/13/19 04:00am by Ralph Cramden *

Busskipper

Arnold,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a note here on the 12 miles.

Average cost to drive a big DP is $.50/mile - so that is like adding $12.00 to the cost of each site. (12 + 12 = 24/2 = 12)

Not a killer for all but something to Keep in Mind as you move forward.

Just a Thought,

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
MDX-FMCA--M&G Brake
States traveled in this Coach

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Building New Campground. Opinions Welcome!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS