RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: RV Parks charging for water use?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV Parks charging for water use?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bill1374

northern New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At Rock Crusher (a Sun park) the only sites with water meters are the annuals. But the anticipated rate increase for next year is 3 to 5 %. The early water bills I've heard are between $6 and $10.

KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Same amount of water on earth as there has ever been.

counter-intuitive but true. but there are more people chasing that water putting the 1st rule of economics into play. and while the amount of water hasn't changed its location certainly has.

We could have quite the conversation about water “shortages” etc! But maybe not here.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe its because of the people that bring the portable hot tubs? Ive seen a couple over the years. I`ve been toying with the idea of getting one. although I would offer to pay to fill it up. because the initial per night rate wasn't intended for an extra 2-300 gallons of unnecessary water use!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EPA rules governing non community water systems ( look up EPAs. RGWR. Revised ground water rules) were forced on the states to implement 3 years ago. as a result monthly testing for sanitation, annual for metals, nitrates/its, and other contaminates are good for the public health and quality, however add substantial cost and time to the water system manager.
Should a water sample test above levels, or positive for contaminates remedy is even more costly. If a rural camp has always had good water with only periodic well chlorination then experiences a flood or excessive rainfall which contaminates the next sample, even though its a moment event , then RGWR requires that water system to install continuous treatment. $$$$
quality potable water cost has gone up. Small systems bear the highest cost especially if they are forced to install continuous treatment or God forbid, a no drinking water order while they conform to the new regulations.
Individual site water metering is a difficult proposition. Likely only warm winter camps could justify cost, as in colder locations meters would have to placed deep underground or heated.
Ala Carte will become the normal for monthlys and seasonal. Site. Power. Water. Wifi basic or streaming. Pay for what you use. Its only right, and fair to savers and to wasters.

firemedic1992

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobsallyh wrote:

There are several RV Parks in Yuma, AZ. that have started to charge for water. They are long term snowbird parks.

With the poor city water quality (extreme hardness) it had better be good water if they are charging for it. I certainly wouldn’t pay for Yuma city water. I’d be tempted to haul the RV to the corner water stand and get good water for 50 cents for 5 gallons.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't really have any issue with a water charge. We're paying for it regardless of how it's charged. $1000 per month and $20 per month for water or $1020 per month water included. It just took me a little off guard because I'd never heard of a park charging for it. It was always included in the price but.... times...they are a changin!

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

I don't really have any issue with a water charge. We're paying for it regardless of how it's charged. $1000 per month and $20 per month for water or $1020 per month water included. It just took me a little off guard because I'd never heard of a park charging for it. It was always included in the price but.... times...they are a changin!

precisely. ain't no such thing as "free". i get a chuckle when i see, hear or read about "free" wifi.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Remember...if you don’t know where you’re going you're bound to end up somewhere else.
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pay for power, water, gas, and garbage pickup at our stick&brick home, so what is different when we are at a campground, except that those costs are usually just part of the regular site rate?

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and a grouchy, old, tiny dog

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When it is readily available we use far more water than we think. Don't be surprised if you go through 100gal per person per week when hooked up to FHU.

Here in Bermuda we grow up with water conservation in mind since there is no city water or well water. What falls on our roofs is what we have to live on. Every house has a tank underneath it. Every house has its own water pumping system. We get about 60" rainfall a year.

During dry periods or when people are not careful they have to buy water. I think 1000gal is about $125 these days. How does that compare?

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Same amount of water on earth as there has ever been.

counter-intuitive but true. but there are more people chasing that water putting the 1st rule of economics into play. and while the amount of water hasn't changed its location certainly has.

At the risk of taking this off-topic: not true. Most states that are drilling for oil/gas have turned to fracking, which uses/contaminates hundreds-of-thousands to millions of gallons of fresh water, which is put into super-deep disposal wells, well below the water tables that would put it back into the "Water Cycle". These miles-deep disposal wells are what are triggering the earthquakes in OK, for example

So back to the topic at hand: I'm not surprised by a nominal water use charge? One of the things I noticed as a FL condo-owning Snowbird is that our local water utility charges us all kinds of customer fees resulting in monthly costs around $36 even when there's zero use. I can only imagine how they must stick it to the RV parks....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV Parks charging for water use?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS