RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Brands that are well built for winter??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Brands that are well built for winter??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DRV Mobile Suite is well insulated. Back when Citation was building trailers they guaranteed their trailers to be comfortable down to 30 below. Although we will never use ours in cold weather we appreciate how well it stays cool in warmer temperatures.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nash, Arctic Fox, OUtdoors RV. I just bought a Rockwood with a belly pan and heated tanks. It is R-14 in the roof, R-12 in the floor and R-7 in the walls. That would qualify as a "4 season" coach.

ChuckV1

Rochester WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/19 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Kz Gold Line https://www.kz-rv.com/products/durango-gold-fifth-wheels/

far cheaper than the high end 5th wheels but just as well built [emoticon]

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/19 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New or used. If used, there are several brands, that are no longer available new, that excelled for cool weather camping. A couple had a -20 F warranty. Sadly, some of the best made camper manufacturers went out of business when the economy crashed in the late 2000’s. They were quite expensive, and the economy could not support them....plus the market was “flooded” with cheap units.

Some of these units are available used, however as always with a used unit....a very in-depth check on it’s quality is a must!

An advertised 4-Season unit of today, is rarely a 4-season unit....unless your 4 seasons are in the Florida Keys!

We wouldn’t hesitate to use ours at minus 20 F, and often boondock at or a little below 0 F!

* This post was edited 03/09/19 12:32pm by memtb *

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

[emoticon] I wonder how much I paid for my 4 seasons sticker on the Laredo?

Yeah but how wonderful is it to pull it with a truck with the extra 15 horsepower from the STP sticker?

Dennis M M

Winter in Tucson, AZ; summer on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/19 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No longer built, but our Newmar has a winter package - 2 furnaces, 1 AC and extra insulation. We survived several days below zero and a night at 18 below in Denver a few years ago with no issues. Only complaint was the bedroom was too warm as we had to run that furnace to keep the belly warm.

'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/19 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dennis M M wrote:

No longer built, but our Newmar has a winter package - 2 furnaces, 1 AC and extra insulation. We survived several days below zero and a night at 18 below in Denver a few years ago with no issues. Only complaint was the bedroom was too warm as we had to run that furnace to keep the belly warm.

Dennis, We had a Teton with 2 furnaces, and had the same problem. If your ductwork is shared, you should have heat to the basement area. If memory serves me correctly we lowered the front heater set-point pretty low to minimize run time. But, I’ve slept since then, I ma6 not be correct. By the way - Newmars were nice units. The best days of RV manufacturing have passed!

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/19 11:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DBHMEH wrote:

Just survived my first winter in a Rockwood TT. I've decided to go full time and am looking for fifth wheel Brands that are built/insulated for cold winters. Any input is greatly appreciated.
David

What price range? There are older units (pre 2008) for a decent price that are VERY well built and designed for full-time and 4 seasons.

Alpenlite
Carriage
Holiday Rambler
Monaco

To mention a few

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/19 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DBHMEH wrote:

Just survived my first winter in a Rockwood TT. I've decided to go full time and am looking for fifth wheel Brands that are built/insulated for cold winters. Any input is greatly appreciated.
David

David, Just as an example, there is a 2005 Teton in Park City (listed in rvtrader.com), for just under $40K. If it is the shape it appears to be in.....one heck of a 5 th wheel. If I were looking, I’d have been there already. This unit, easily went for over $125K when new. It’s loaded-out pretty nicely!

mt1729

Helena, MT. summer, Wellton, AZ winter

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/19 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is not a trailer on the market nor has there ever been that will handle 10 or 20 below 0 temp. I've survived in them but it wasn't easy. Between sewer & water trying to freeze and running furnace full time plus 2 electric heaters full time, frost build up inside and bedding & clothes freezing to the walls, it is a chore. Maybe if you just experiance these kinds of temp for a few days you'll get by. Do it for 3 winters in a row all winter long and see how well it works. I've done it. Artic Fox is the closest you can get to a 4 season trailer. Wish I could afford one. It still would not be ideal or fun, believe me.

Moose

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Brands that are well built for winter??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS