|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Tires LT 225/75R16 load range E

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
jcsb

Sharonville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking into replacing current tires, 5.5 yrs old on a E450.

Looking at Michlein, Goodyear, Cooper, Continental, Handcock.

They will be Out of Date long before tread wear is an issue.

Comments, suggestions, experiences would be appreciated.

Jim Hunter

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For more years than I care to admit I have always had a great experience using Michelin. If there ever is a problem with their tires {and that is a rare event} you can count on them standing behind them.

When we bought our 2012 C lass C used in 2014 it came with the Michelin's that were subject to a recall and they replaced all 6, mounted and balanced no questions asked. My tires looked fine and only had 16K miles but a few of that line had shown tread separation issues so Michelin recalled every tire in the line.

[emoticon]

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain wrote:

For more years than I care to admit I have always had a great experience using Michelin. If there ever is a problem with their tires {and that is a rare event} you can count on them standing behind them.

When we bought our 2012 C lass C used in 2014 it came with the Michelin's that were subject to a recall and they replaced all 6, mounted and balanced no questions asked. My tires looked fine and only had 16K miles but a few of that line had shown tread separation issues so Michelin recalled every tire in the line.

[emoticon]

x2, except for the recall stuff.
I had a set of AT2s have some tread separation near their end of life cycle, and Discount Tire (where I bought them) was able to get me a new set of LTX MS2s on a low tread wear prorata. They were about 1/2 price for brand new Michelin tires.

Mike.
2018 Navion 24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ???)
2016 Sunstar 26HE (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

tred0956

Shuswap, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also like Michelins, use them on almost all my vehicles, but needed to replace tires on my class c before a big trip in 2014 and Michelins were very hard to find due to the recall mentioned above so I bought Toyo HT's. VERY happy with them and, like the M's, they are winter rated so legal for winter trips.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X3 on the michelins.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do fairly low miles per year so no need for expensive Michelins. Happy with the KUMHO Creugen HT51s.

http://www.kumhotire.ca/en/tire/category........suv/2C47E8C9-EDD6-4094-A41D-F938F1D3231D

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 10:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you looking Highway/Street, Combo Street/Off road, or Off Road? If the bulk of your travel is on paved smooth roads, the recommendation would be far different compared to if you spend time on unimproved roads. In my case I had the Kumho Creugen HT51 tires but due to the terrain I travel, the tire dealer switched me to Kumho Road Venture MT's. So, how you will be using the tire and the terrain you're traveling will dictate any recommendation, otherwise we're shooting blind.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

harley-dave

ummm, where are we again..

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went with the Michelin XPS rib tires. tried other brands first but the Michelins are the best for us. Ride better, steer much better and are quieter on our 2005 Itasca class c. Plus they never leak air like the other brands did..

Dave

2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

BillHoughton

West of the Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/19 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whatever your final tire decision, confirm with the tire shop before they start the work that they'll have the necessary tire valve stems - preferably by far, metal ones - for your wheels, in the length you prefer. In January, I had all six tires replaced on my RV. The truck tire manager at the tire shop inspected the valve stems and said they all looked OK, but it turned out the two fronts were too funky for re-use. I now have one valve stem that sticks out past the tire, all ready to get knocked off if I lose an argument with a curb, and one that's just the right length to make installing a tire pressure monitoring system valve cap/sender impossible (if I decide to do that later). I've got a Mercedes-based RV, and Mercedes requires oddball valve stems; you may not have an issue with your rig (Ford, right?). But check and be certain.

I've purchased the right length stems, from Borg, and the tire shop's going to put them on for no charge; but it's an extra trip to the next town over (although it is close to the Habitat ReStore, so I can go treasure hunting). I'm currently waiting for the backyard to dry out a little - which it's not going to do soon, since we're continuing to get rain every couple of days - so I can be confident about getting the RV out and back in.

dicknellen

Fallon Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might want to check out Toyo Open Country H/T LT225/75R-16 10 Ply E. I have replaced tires on two Winnies now with these and very happy with them, I have found the ride as good or better than Michelin. I also have gone with Borg "Dually Valves" on the rear duals. The tire store I use installs them with the new tires at no additional charge.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Tires LT 225/75R16 load range E
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS