RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Vintage RAM.... what to do?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Vintage RAM.... what to do?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
davelinde

Lake Nona, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I cannot believe how long I've been away from this forum but it seems like just yesterday.

In 2003 I agonized over diesel v gas and would the Dodge 48RE tow heavy. I can surely say that now I KNOW and diesel is a great choice and with 160K on my 2004 5.9 48RE auto with some time towing both 10K# and 14K# the tranny seems to have held up.

I did a multi-year diversion into the HDT truck world and I've gotta say that a Volvo HDT is fantastic TV but not easy to maintain. At this point the Volvo is sold and I still have the RAM and in the foreseeable future we will be towing something again. But wow oh wow oh my... I could buy TWO MORE Volvos for the price of a new decked out Dodge?? Not gonna happen.

I'm thinking about putting a new paint job on my 2004, replacing the interior (not sure how) and getting a rebuilt trans with engine brake. The truck is great for current use (a daily driver) but the front bench is not ideal for long hauls, the paint is fading and I would not trust putting 10K# behind it and taking a long trip.

What say you all here?

Dave Lindemulder
Tammy, Mark & Kirsten
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 SLT QC/SB HO-CTD/48RE
01 Volvo VNL660 singled VED12
09 Heartland Cyclone 3210

VernDiesel

Dayton OH

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its definitely do-able.

Transportr TT & boats RAM EconoDiesel Factory TBC, Tow mirrors, Hitch camera, Axle to frame air bags, Tune w turbo brake, Max tow 9,200 CGAR 7,800 CVWR 15,950 axle weights 3,340 steer 2,260 drive Truck pushed head gasket at 371k has original trans at 500k

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All I have to say is Volvo's are a PITA to work on. From the electrical to the engine.

Think I'd keep your old truck and go through it. No lowest bidder emissions junk to fail. Better fuel mileage too.

Why I keep my 97 F350 with it's 7.3. Might not be a hot rod but it's a simple motor and it gets good mileage and has none of the failure prone pollution junk to worry about breaking.

If a new truck breaks, you can be it will be a tow job. The local garage won't be able to fix it. Just like your Volvo....lol

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

davelinde

Lake Nona, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

VernDiesel wrote:

Its definitely do-able.

I think so too... just not sure what I might be missing.
The rap on the Dodge back in 04 was that the Cummins would keep running while the plastic **** around it would fail. This has actually been true and my grab handles, diverter doors, and window control console have all cracked and failed. However fixing them was cost effective and not too hard.

I don't see any reason I can't get another 10 years and 150K on the frame/power-train - especially if I drop a few grand on an overbuilt tranny. If a new truck was more reasonable I might be tempted to trade-up but at the prices I've seen it seems crazy to buy a new diesel?

davelinde

Lake Nona, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

Volvo's are a PITA to work on

It was a challenge - the clutch and Eaton autoshift got wonky on me and once I could not drive it to be serviced things got complicated. Towing it was not a simple thing... It really was a joy to drive while it ran well but not so joyful once I could not fix it myself.

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 05 ctd has over 200,000 miles on the original trouble free transmission, I'm not scared to tow with it. I haven't had any issues with the plastic deteriorating but I don't live in your climate. Other than normal maintenance my only major expenses have been the a/c clutch and water pump in nine years.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 04:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you figure out how to make a new interior, please post it. My interior is reduced to rubble.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/19 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go test drive a leftover 2018 RAM with Aisin tranny and get back to us. Take the title for the 2004 with you just in case. RAM is making really good deals on 2018's right now. It is the number of gears forward st....!

[emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon]

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

When you figure out how to make a new interior, please post it. My interior is reduced to rubble.

You can purchase an aftermarket dashboard cap and glue it on top of an existing deteriated dash.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

pyoung47

MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actual out the door for a new Ram is about 50K unless you have to have the best. Check out Dennis Dillon Dodge for prices. If you are mechanically inclined, the 04 prob has quite a bit of life in it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Vintage RAM.... what to do?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS