RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Vintage RAM.... what to do?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Vintage RAM.... what to do?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/19 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I am lucky to live in a cloud state, rather than a sun state. I have no plastic issues with my 04, and I can tear off 12 hours in the driver's seat, no problem. I also would have no problem hooking up my 10k fifth wheel and drive diagonal across the country for a visit. I purposely avoid the opportunity to drive a new truck, makes me continue to appreciate what I have. Don't know about your state, but up here, the sales tax alone on a truck upgrade would pay for your transmission rebuild. Paying sales tax will not add to your driving enjoyment. The depreciation alone on a new truck will pay for the rest of your upgrades.

No doubt the new trucks are more capable. Simplicity has its merits. Changed my oil and fuel filter earlier this week. Less than sixty bucks for everything. Your dash may be cracking, but you don't have a CEL staring at you all the time. I'm sticking with my truck, it does the job.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/19 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might have a suggestion for the front bench seat, see if you can get later model bucket seats out of a salvage yard. I have a older Ford XL that I replaced the seats from a low milage late model Ford XLT. I did exactly what your talking about with a 2007 Ford. Just got back from a 3200 mile trip in the same truck.

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/19 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

When you figure out how to make a new interior, please post it. My interior is reduced to rubble.

Genos has complete new dash pads for most models. I think that was the big failure item.

Most of the items that went bad are still obtainable, just gotta do some looking.

Charles

Gulfcoast

Southeast

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/19 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd stick with the million mile Cummins engine. period.

Every time I stop at any store someone comments on my Mega Cab Cummins diesel.

I could sell it every day.

Spedly

DE

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/19 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

davelinde wrote:

Spedly wrote:

aside from emissions the 2004 does nothing better then the 2016.

Are the latest trucks getting better fuel consumption again? When the first set of emmissions equipped diesels came out I remember hearing that the mileage was quite poor.

Yes the DEF trucks do a little better than the 6.7's for a few years before the DEF models.

People complain about DEF, it is mostly a non issue now. Chris

My 04 never got the magical 20+ numbers some claim. I do about 16mpg empty which was the same as my stock 6.7. Deleted the 6.7 did around 18mpg empty and could get into the 22-23mpg range on open flat highway. The 13-+ trucks are geared lower for fuel mileage unless you get a drw.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/19 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spedly wrote:

The 13-+ trucks are geared lower for fuel mileage unless you get a drw.

Gear taller AKA low number 3.42, and the motors are tuned to run and lower RPMs.

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

busterja21

Elizabeth CO

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/19 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

can you just get some aftermarket seats?

https://www.andysautosport.com/suspension_seats/dodge_ram.html

2019 CC F350
2017 Impact 312 Toyhauler
2014 Yamaha grizzly 700 (mine)
2013 Yamaha grizzly 550 (hers)
1998 Kawi Prairie 400 (boys)

crcr

US

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/19 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

davelinde wrote:

I appreciate the opinions here, thanks for chiming in.

Some reactions. Yes, I've picked up a lot of the parts I needed to refurb my truck from Geno's and they have most of what is still broke too. So far the busted plastic junk in my cab is all repairable.

In terms of rough numbers... back in the day I paid 36K for my truck new. I bought the Volvo for 35K and ended up selling it for scrap at 5K (if I had not let the maintenance get away from me it would easily have sold for more, my bad). I mention that to note that paying 50K (or more) for a truck is hard for me to wrap my mind around.

But yes... I'm contemplating about 10K in refurb as someone noted... and that does give me pause.

Also yes... I bet I could sell mine as-is. I have two neighbors who have mentioned they'd love to buy it, though we never talked price.

For the interior, I've already fixed the grab bars, the busted tilt steering and installed a modern radio/bluetooth. What remains is fixing the busted lock/mirror/window control cluster and fixing one rear door lock... the real challenge is making the seats comfy enough to do 10 hours (I can barely stand them for 3 now).

The exterior paint is still just cosmetic and pro-active against letting it degrade too much.

The big ticket would be a pro-active rebuilt tranny and maybe an engine brake.

Finally... I know me - if I go drive a 2018 I might write a check.

You can buy a complete set of 4th Gen Ram seats, front and back, and install them in your 3rd Gen Ram. Many have done it. Click here
I'm thinking about putting 4th gen seats in the front only of my 3rd Gen.

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/19 10:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve just got an innocent clean old ‘99 Dodge... that I’d run for pink slips against anyone here’s late model...
It even rides nicer (Kelderman Air Ride). But, it’s definitely louder!!

The late models are definitely nice, and more capable than a STOCK early model.
They’re also an electronic nightmare when they get a little old. Simplicity IS reliability.
That’s an inescapable law of physics.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/19 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burningman wrote:

I’ve just got an innocent clean old ‘99 Dodge... that I’d run for pink slips against anyone here’s late model...
It even rides nicer (Kelderman Air Ride). But, it’s definitely louder!!

The late models are definitely nice, and more capable than a STOCK early model.
They’re also an electronic nightmare when they get a little old. Simplicity IS reliability.
That’s an inescapable law of physics.

You mean by simplictiy, it is NOT simple to resolve 47RE transmission gear hunting, lift pump failures, APPS isuues, head pedal and other VP-44 failures? LOL after owning a 24V for 14 years. I did replace my failed VP-44 myself.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Vintage RAM.... what to do?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS