|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Too many choices

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
robsb1234

Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Help. The family can't decide on our new camper. I like the floor plan of the Forest River Grey Wolf 26DBH. The wife likes the Jayco 28BHS, she thinks the quality is a little better, and she may be right. We originally loved the Prime Time Avenger ATI 27DBS, but for some reason didn't get it. I need some help deciding. Price is definitely a consideration. Avenger is cheapest, Grey Wolf is next, Jayco is most expensive. Grey Wolf is about 5800#, while the other 2 are around 6200# (towing with an F150). Help!!

Lwiddis

near La Cuesta Encantada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/19 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your F150 can handle a tongue weight of 800 to 900 pounds plus the family and stuff in the truck?

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Exhale.
For starters consider how you intend to use it.
Boondocking? RV park with full hookups? Weekends mostly, or longer stays?
Longer stays, more dry camping means you need bigger tanks.
5800 and 6500 lbs are dry weights. With a half tank of water, propane and tanks, and a battery, (still no clothes dishes etc) You will be 6500 - 7000 lbs, with a 1000 lb tongue weight if you properly distribute the weight. Add the necessities and your probably between 7500 and 8000 lbs, is that the weight range you were looking for?

As to quality, you are about right, all are entry level, the Jayco could be either metal or glass sided, the other two are metal.
Appliances, equipment will be near identical, so look to fit and finish to distinguish the differences.
Pressboard is the cheapest cabinet and drawer material, plywood is better, hardwood is better still.
Staples are the fastest and weakest fasteners, brads are a little better, and screws are better still.

Pick the one that feels right to you and that fits your needs.
Then search online through
RV trader
and
rvt.com

using their advanced search, look up the exact model you want, and see how the prices vary.
Go to the dealers websites, and look for their terms. Some advertise low prices and then add thousands in hidden fees as well as trying to force you to use their preferred lenders. Others will price their product straight up, out the door. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples.
Good luck

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/19 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So you want us to pick out your trailer? All three will disappoint until the factory flubs get worked out. Good luck.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make wife happy. But, please consider what your truck can tow. I made 2 truck mistakes... won't do that for the 3rd time!

Good luck in whichever one you chose.

robsb1234

Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the advice. Weight is definitely a concern for me. Rated tow weight on my truck is only 7800#, but I can't afford a new truck and a new camper right now. We are upgrading from a 22 ft Coachmen Cascade bunk house that has served us well for 3 years, but we really want something bigger. I was hoping that someone would tell me if any of these were junk. They seem pretty **** similar, but the Jayco did seem slightly more polished. But, again, I prefer the floor plan of the Grey Wolf.

trailer_newbe

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You just answered your question. Don’t go bigger with your current truck.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

robsb1234

Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@trailer newbe So you're saying 5800# dry weight is too much for the truck. How heavy do you think it can go?

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 09:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

robsb1234 wrote:

@trailer newbe So you're saying 5800# dry weight is too much for the truck. How heavy do you think it can go?

It’s not so much what you can pull but rather how much can you carry. What is your truck’s payload rating and how much does the stuff and people you put in it weigh? The trailers you are looking at will have tongue weights from 800-1000lbs once loaded which will eat up a lot of your payload and not leave much for passengers.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

robsb1234

Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 10:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2014 F150 4x4 supercab 5.0L engine 3.55 axle ratio
Rated curb weight:5460#
GVWR:7350#
Payload: 1890#
GCW: 13500#
Max rated trailer weight:7800#
8000# e2 2 point sway control round bar weight distribution hitch
So, what do you think?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Too many choices
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS