|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can't get my Weber grill to cook quickly, Low flame

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/19 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camp-n-family wrote:

I have a 20ā€™ line that I run from a splitter off the tank before the regulator. I have to turn the tank off first, connect the hose, then slowly open the tank valve allowing the hose to fill completely before opening the valve the rest of the way.
That's one reason I added the extra shutoff valve shown on my above post - no flow problems. The valve is also a second shutoff in addition to the shutoff in the 1" connector.

The high pressure adapter uses the BBQ regulator and not the RV regulator. To be very clear the hose connects to the BBQ regulator only and NOT directly to the BBQ.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2004 CR-V and 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

JesLookin

Appleton,WI

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/19 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a response from Weber regarding low heat output:

From Weber:

"Thank you for your email.

I'm sorry to hear your grill is giving you problems. There could be several issues that could cause this sort of problem. Let's try to fix the problem with the follow suggestions. Do you preheat the grill with the lid up or down? If you grill with the lid down there is a possibility that you have inadvertently triggered the safety device in the adapter hose. This safety device is designed to detect leaks. If the grill is leaking, it will restrict gas flow to prevent a fire. When the gas is restricted, the grill will only reach about 250 degrees. This safety device can be inadvertently triggered if the grill is turned on too quickly.

To reset the gas safety device:
Open the barbecue lid.
1. Close the LP tank valve.
2. Turn your burner control knob to the OFF position.
3. Wait at least 5 minutes if the barbecue had been lit, then
4. Disconnect the gas source
5. Turn your burner control knob to the HIGH position.
6. Wait at least 2 minutes, and then turn the burner control knob to the OFF position.
7. Re-connect the gas source

The grill was designed for the small, disposable tanks. If you choose to use an adapter hose for the larger propane tanks, there are some simple rules to follow to ensure that the grill works properly. Please follow this procedure every time you turn the grill on and off.

Re-lighting the barbecue:
1. Open the barbecue lid.
2. Open the LP tank valve all the way and wait 1 minute.
3. With the lid open, turn the burner control knob to the HIGH position.
4. Ignite the grill by pushing the crossover ignition button.
5. Close the barbecue lid.
6. The barbecue should reach 500 to 550 degrees in 10-15 minutes.

When you are done grilling:
1. Turn all burner control knobs to the OFF position
2. Turn off the LP tank valve last. The tank should be turned off after EVERY grill use.

2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/19 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Removing the original Weber regulator on these BBQs is pretty straightforward and I can't imagine a BBQ/propane shop doing something wrong, but you never know.

Below is what our Weber Q looks like which has the regulator removed for connection to the low pressure piping under the TT. I used a short "whip". I also used 3/8" dia. hose and not 1/4". Our hose is the flexible rubber jacketed type which is easy to coil up and is longer than 10' (20' IIRC)..

Our Weber heats up pretty quickly and maintains good heat, as long as the lid is kept closed. Is your Weber an older one? If so, maybe it needs the orifices cleaned? Are the furnace, water heater and stove working fine? I find that I usually have to open the valve for a bit to purge out any air in the hose.

[image]

I hate CAPTCHA. CAPTCHA sux. CAPTCHA is evil. CAPTCHA needs fixing.

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH
2009 F250 super duty, V10, 8' bed, Hawkshead TPMS

turbojimmy

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/19 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

camp-n-family wrote:

I have a 20ā€™ line that I run from a splitter off the tank before the regulator. I have to turn the tank off first, connect the hose, then slowly open the tank valve allowing the hose to fill completely before opening the valve the rest of the way.
That's one reason I added the extra shutoff valve shown on my above post - no flow problems. The valve is also a second shutoff in addition to the shutoff in the 1" connector.

The high pressure adapter uses the BBQ regulator and not the RV regulator. To be very clear the hose connects to the BBQ regulator only and NOT directly to the BBQ.

That's what I did. You can't operate some grills or outdoor LP appliances without their regulator. So I did like you did and tapped into the high pressure (pre-regulator) side. Makes life much easier.

I have 16 feet of hose and don't have any issues at all. It does take a little while for all of the propane to bleed out of the hoses so I set it aside while I'm packing up everything else and then stow it once it's drained.

1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/19 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

turbojimmy wrote:

You can't operate some grills or outdoor LP appliances without their regulator.

Doesn't apply to the Weber Q series of grills as the regulator can easily be removed while leaving the gas control in place, making it an ideal candidate for modification to run directly off a low pressure gas feed.

turbojimmy

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/19 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

turbojimmy wrote:

You can't operate some grills or outdoor LP appliances without their regulator.

Doesn't apply to the Weber Q series of grills as the regulator can easily be removed while leaving the gas control in place, making it an ideal candidate for modification to run directly off a low pressure gas feed.

Iā€™m aware. My point was that a feed off the high pressure side offers more versatility.

lamopar

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/19 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

myredracer wrote:

Removing the original Weber regulator on these BBQs is pretty straightforward and I can't imagine a BBQ/propane shop doing something wrong, but you never know.

Below is what our Weber Q looks like which has the regulator removed for connection to the low pressure piping under the TT. I used a short "whip". I also used 3/8" dia. hose and not 1/4". Our hose is the flexible rubber jacketed type which is easy to coil up and is longer than 10' (20' IIRC)..

Our Weber heats up pretty quickly and maintains good heat, as long as the lid is kept closed. Is your Weber an older one? If so, maybe it needs the orifices cleaned? Are the furnace, water heater and stove working fine? I find that I usually have to open the valve for a bit to purge out any air in the hose.

[image]

My connection looks very similar to yours except I don't have the quick release. Mine hoses connect using the same style connection like the one that attaches to the little gas bottle. My grill is the Weber 200 or 2000 unit. A white lid on it. It is about 4 years old. Everything in the camper works perfectly.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/19 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That connector is the standard 1lb 1" 20 tpi high pressure bottle connector.

Can you connect the 1 lb bottle to the grill and then to the long hose? And how does the grill work? Might help to isolate the problem.

I can run any grill from my RV or any grill from a 1 lb bottle with my hoses and adapter. OK Flame suit on as I'm sure someone will tell be about a 100K BTU propane BBQ ... [emoticon]

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/19 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had the reg removed from my Weber for 12 years and it has worked fine. I do have my Jayco dealer move the gas line to the front of the awning as I BBQ in the rain and it is nice having the awning above me. I fact seems like when I want to BBQ (several times a week) it wants to rain.... LOL

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/19 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Without pics of the OP's actual setup, we are all just guessing at the issue. We need to see both ends of the hose, the hookup at the grille, the hookup at the trailer, and clarification of WHERE the line is tapped into the trailer's system (before or after the trailer regulator).

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can't get my Weber grill to cook quickly, Low flame
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS