RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Camp Reservations

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/19 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What's your best practice for campground reservations.

Do you reserve ALL the campgrounds prior to starting your trip?

Or, do you just reserve the campground at your next destination?

I guess the latter gives a lot more flexibility at the risk of ending up sleeping in the Wal-mart or rest stops in some really busy full-booked campgrounds season.

Or being out there with no WIFI or cell reception (even the famous Yosemite have a lot of these blind spots).

And I'll admit I hate the administrative work and would rather minimize it with the least work and efforts as much as possible.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 10:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends if you are full timing or just a weekend camper or ??

For me, I'm only a long weekend camper during the summer months..

I don't venture far, so stick to pretty much the State Parks in Washington State.

In order to get my pick of sites, we can reserve up to 9 months ahead and I do that to the day.. I already have all my long weekend camping trips in the books since December 2018 from May to Sept 2019...

I got all my favorite parks and sites, so I just make the long weekends work.

But I work full time and this is the only time I can get away, so I need to know I have a place to go when I want to go.

It would be different if I were retired and just out there at any whim.. Seems like during the work days, Mon-Thur are them best times to be able to just drive up to a park and get whatever site you want.. It's the long weekend time (Fri-Sun) that are always booked up..

Good luck!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! "> Happy Camping!

Nv Guy

Reno NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/19 11:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because the DW and I don't like surprises I make reservations for all of our planned stops along our route. For me it's less work than trying to find a place to set down for the night after a day of driving.

doxiemom11

Paris, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/19 11:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IF we make reservations, it's just for the next location , or if it's a holiday or real touristy area. We are full-time almost 9 years and have probably made 9 reservations in that time. Sometimes it's just a phone call to see if there are sites available and not really a reservation.

Airdaile

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/19 04:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do about the same as doxiemom. We may have reservations at the next place and I'm looking for where we'll be after that. The only time I got tripped up was over a holiday weekend when I had to call a few places before I found a site.

Nothing ruins an RV trip faster than needing to be somewhere at a certain time.

linnemj

Eastern Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/19 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a personal choice and you will get all kinds of opinions. A lot depends on the popularity of where you want to camp, the days of the week, the size of your RV, and what hookups you want.

Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/19 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personal preference is what it comes down to. I don't like the restriction of reservations for just an over night stop because I don't know where or when I want to stop exactly. We are retired so we don't have time constraints so I can deviate off route anywhere I want to. Never been shut out of a campground.

We have pulled into campgrounds for a night and have extended our stay many times because it was an area we wished to explore a little more and the CG was nice. Our primary travel area is the southeast from NC and all the Gulf states to TX. Never a problem getting in somewhere.

We use the RVPARKY app when on the road to find places to stay. We start looking around 2pm for a place to be off the road around 4pm. Easy enough to make it by a phone call. For stays of a week or more we do make reservations for our destination.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/19 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We usually make most of our reservations for next winter in Florida while we're here this winter. We favor state and national parks, and getting in early on the 11 month state park reservation windows gives us the best chance of getting the sites and parks we prefer for the time frame we want. The national parks have shorter windows, but we hit them as soon as they open as well. For this winter, we were late reserving due to some medical questions that determined if we were coming at all, but we did still manage to fill out a near 4 month schedule by choosing central and northern Florida locations plus a few weeks in a southern Georgia state park. During the rest of the year we also make far ahead reservations at places like upstate NY state parks for popular holidays like Memorial Day, the July 4th, and Labor Day. In between, we're a lot more flexible, often making last minute decisions or changes. For those, we might only make reservations a day or two ahead, or not at all in areas where there are several park choices.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/19 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I make reservations mostly for events. The rest of the time I just show up. I like to avoid peak season for popular destinations.

docsouce

Seekonk Ma.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/19 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We like to make reservations 2 or 3 days out. We reserve Friday and Saturday stays 5 days out because the campgrounds are usually full those days. Most often I try stay at one campground both Friday and Saturday. Just easier. That said we only like to drive 200 or so miles a day and avoid the interstate highways as much as possible.

2016 Thor Freedom Elite 22e
Just right for the two of us!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS