RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Camp Reservations

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/19 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nv Guy wrote:

Because the DW and I don't like surprises I make reservations for all of our planned stops along our route. For me it's less work than trying to find a place to set down for the night after a day of driving.
X-2, I like site specific reservations, I don't want to get somewhere just to be stuck in some unlevel, low tree, narrow, short site that is basically all that's left.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

Roy&Lynne

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/19 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we first started RVing I made reservations, but we had a breakdown and through our schedule off. KOA kept our money and I never went back and never made reservations far in advance again. I will call ahead.
But we don't RV in the summers or on holidays so we avoid those hassels

Our Road Less Traveled

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/19 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nv Guy wrote:

Because the DW and I don't like surprises I make reservations for all of our planned stops along our route. For me it's less work than trying to find a place to set down for the night after a day of driving.

Same for us!

Dan- Firefighter">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

JesLookin

Appleton,WI

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/19 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year for our Alaska trip we made four reservations at places where we wanted to be at certain times. Otherwise we winged it, or made reservations a day or two at a time as we moved along.

2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/19 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for the very useful information.

I read them all and now got a good idea on how to tackle these multiple campgrounds in our multi-state routes.

The longest we had was 3 weeks in Lake Mead, Zion and Grand Canyon and made all reservations in advance.

But what I noticed with this advanced reservation is that it forced us to keep a very structured and precise schedules and did not allow flexibility when we actually want to stay longer in an area to visit other interesting sites.

* This post was edited 03/11/19 09:14am by Yosemite Sam1 *

Busskipper

Arnold,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/19 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

What's your best practice for campground reservations.

Do you reserve ALL the campgrounds prior to starting your trip?

Or, do you just reserve the campground at your next destination?

I guess the latter gives a lot more flexibility at the risk of ending up sleeping in the Wal-mart or rest stops in some really busy full-booked campgrounds season.

Or being out there with no WIFI or cell reception (even the famous Yosemite have a lot of these blind spots).

And I'll admit I hate the administrative work and would rather minimize it with the least work and efforts as much as possible.

When on the road we look at lunch and call around 3 or so to see where we may stop.

For the annual Family reunion at the beach we reserve a year ahead.

More fun on the road and we can boondock for a while so no real problem.

JMHO,

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
MDX-FMCA--M&G Brake
States traveled in this Coach

Trekkar

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/19 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ken56 wrote:

Personal preference is what it comes down to. I don't like the restriction of reservations for just an over night stop because I don't know where or when I want to stop exactly. We are retired so we don't have time constraints so I can deviate off route anywhere I want to. Never been shut out of a campground.

We have pulled into campgrounds for a night and have extended our stay many times because it was an area we wished to explore a little more and the CG was nice. Our primary travel area is the southeast from NC and all the Gulf states to TX. Never a problem getting in somewhere.

We use the RVPARKY app when on the road to find places to stay. We start looking around 2pm for a place to be off the road around 4pm. Easy enough to make it by a phone call. For stays of a week or more we do make reservations for our destination.

We also use RVParky on the road. Start checking after lunch, and normally find sites easily. We go to do stuff, not sit at the campground.

2001 RoadTrek 190

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS