RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Where to start

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > Where to start

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
OFDPOS

Nor Cal

Senior Member

Joined: 11/25/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/12/19 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll throw in my $.02 in.

By all means do the above first with tire pressure adjustments , alignment.

BUT !

The stock Anti Sway Bars on Fords are pretty much a joke.
They put the same size ones on a E-150 through the E-450. At least through 2013-2014 they did. Don't know about the newer ones ?
Maybe around town in a E-150 deliver van ok , but not with a MH box attached to the chassis.

The stock ASB's are like comparing the diameter size of your pinky finger to your thumb , (unless you have abnormal hands, your thumb will obviously be bigger lol )

Saying that just by replacing both the ASB's will give a much needed improvement, just the mere stepping in and out of the side door you will notice a big difference.

If you are handy with simple hand tools you could do them yourself, the money you would save you could buy both and still come out cheaper then paying to just have one installed.

Are they the original shocks as well ? If so replace them with Bilsteins HD DON"T waste your money on those koni fsd's !

Next up have a Trac Bar installed in the rear.

Saying all this ,,, this would be of coarse if you are planning on keeping the MH for awhile ...

Ok that was more like the $.10 tour... lol

Lumpty

Greater Gotham City

Senior Member

Joined: 03/29/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/12/19 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did a front Hellwig bar only. Made a significant difference. Completely agree the OEM bar is barely suitable for florist deliveries in E150's.

Monroe also makes an RV Magnum shock for the front. Cheap, and like them better than Bilsteins, as the digressive valving the Bilsteins have allows too much low speed shaft travel, cupping the front tires badly.


Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

suprz

rhode island

Senior Member

Joined: 01/04/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/12/19 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OFDPOS wrote:

I'll throw in my $.02 in.

By all means do the above first with tire pressure adjustments , alignment.

BUT !

The stock Anti Sway Bars on Fords are pretty much a joke.
They put the same size ones on a E-150 through the E-450. At least through 2013-2014 they did. Don't know about the newer ones ?
Maybe around town in a E-150 deliver van ok , but not with a MH box attached to the chassis.

The stock ASB's are like comparing the diameter size of your pinky finger to your thumb , (unless you have abnormal hands, your thumb will obviously be bigger lol )

Saying that just by replacing both the ASB's will give a much needed improvement, just the mere stepping in and out of the side door you will notice a big difference.

If you are handy with simple hand tools you could do them yourself, the money you would save you could buy both and still come out cheaper then paying to just have one installed.

Are they the original shocks as well ? If so replace them with Bilsteins HD DON"T waste your money on those koni fsd's !

Next up have a Trac Bar installed in the rear.

Saying all this ,,, this would be of coarse if you are planning on keeping the MH for awhile ...

Ok that was more like the $.10 tour... lol


Thanks for the input, I can do both the front and rear sway bars no problem. I know the front shocks can be a pain, but I feel confident, I don't think the rear shocks will be a problem. I didn't know they made a trac bar for the rear

* This post was edited 03/12/19 05:00pm by suprz *


Proud father of a US Marine


bobndot

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/21/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/12/19 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

quote wrote:

I didn't know they made a trac bar for the rear


bobndot wrote:

I called Rvupgradesstore and was advised to install a rear track bar to stabilize the chassis to the rear axle which would correct my issue. It worked


ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

Senior Member

Joined: 02/26/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/12/19 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Henderson rear trac bar on our rig as well. It came recommended from the truck/ambulance/RV suspension shop. I recall him saying that they overcame a challenge installing the rear trac bar and the heavy duty rear Roadmaster stabilizer bar together. Maybe a Helwig HD bar will avoid whatever that challenge was.

I understand the rear trac bar is especially beneficial when towing a trailer, not so much towing a vehicle. Trailers like to thrash the rear of the motor home side to side, hence the "tail wagging the dog" condition. The pivoting front wheels on a tow vehicle reduces (not eliminates) that condition. I am sure there is some self tail-wagging within the motor home itself, even when not towing.

There is NO application for a front trac bar on any standard class B+/C motor home because they don't have front leaf springs nor an axle connecting the two front steering wheels. They have instead independent front suspensions.

Class A's and Supers C's could benefit from a front trac bar because they have full front axles. That is in-part how they can carry so heavy a load.


2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow


suprz

rhode island

Senior Member

Joined: 01/04/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/13/19 04:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought the sway bars were expensive! But the track bars!! [emoticon]

bobndot

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/21/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/13/19 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

suprz wrote:

I thought the sway bars were expensive! But the track bars!! [emoticon]



[emoticon] But it's still not as bad as owning a boat .

I agree that the OEM front sway bar is marginal. I have swapped out a few f/r sway bars over the years and to be cost effective it's something I would do when the OEM wears out. I found the sway bars to be most helpful with the rocking side to side motion.
I found the rear track bar to be very helpful with stabilizing the frame (chassis) to the rear axle. It eliminated the movement as ron mentioned with the tail wagging the dog, even driving a solo MH with no trailer. That movement transferred to the front end.
Upon installing it , I first noticed the difference while driving on a 2-lane highway. Passing semis in the opposite direction did not push my rig out of my lane as it did prior to installing the track bar.
Don't confuse rv track bars with one's at a Nascar race and having a beer. That's a different type of 'track bar'. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > Where to start
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS