RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Upcoming Florida Trip

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Upcoming Florida Trip

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/19 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cedar Key FL is worth an overnight stop. Halfway between Macon and Atlanta on I-75 is High Falls State Park. Nice overnight. St Augustine FL is fun. Chattanooga TN has Ruby Falls and Rock City. We head to FL on the 24th leaving from Reno NV. Will stay in Orange City.

Airdaile

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/19 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the Santa Rosa Beach area, be sure to get breakfast at the Donut Hole. Take a ride down Route 30A and see the communities along the way. It's like driving from Key West to Nantucket. The panhandle is a different Florida for sure.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/19 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyemunson wrote:

Cedar Key FL is worth an overnight stop. Halfway between Macon and Atlanta on I-75 is High Falls State Park. Nice overnight. St Augustine FL is fun. Chattanooga TN has Ruby Falls and Rock City. We head to FL on the 24th leaving from Reno NV. Will stay in Orange City.

I'm semi local to Cedar Key and it is a short block of restaurants and a few other buildings. Not worth a 80 mile round trip off Hwy 18 in my opinion. They do have a fishing pier and boat ramp.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/19 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While at Salt Springs, there is a small marina where you can rent a boat for a reasonable price and explore the run down to the lake. Also, I'd recommend going over to Juniper Springs ( short drive from Salt Springs) and rent a canoe and do the run down the creek. It's 7 miles and a very scenic paddle.
Good luck getting in Ft. DeSoto.... they do have walk ups so maybe you;ll be lucky-- but you should have a plan "B" .
At Bahia Honda, go out to Looe Key to dive/snorkel. Sometime during your stay, head over to No Name Pub ( at No Name Key, off Big Pine Key) for pizza. Looe Key Dive Center also has a new,huge tiki hut with some pretty good happy hour specials. You should head to Key West for a day trip. Lots to do there..... if you like good live music, go to the Green Parrot. Great Happy Hour at the Boat House- 1/2 price small plates.

* This post was edited 03/11/19 10:33am by JoeH *

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Retired JSO

Northeast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/19 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are at Salt Springs Rec Area now. The campground is fully occupied almost every day. Today, it was 85 degrees and with spring break, there were over a hundred folks enjoying the 72 degree water.
[image]

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/19 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you like to see historic sites definitely work old St. Augustine into your itinerary. On the way to Anastasia SP - Cape Canaveral with the Sands Space History Center, the Kennedy Space Center Complex, and the US Air Force Space and Missile Museum.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

DavidandDayle

Guelph, Ont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/19 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are taking I75, get Dave Hunter's book Along the I75. Should be at your local book chain. Detailed description of the road with all the shops/attractions at each interchange and historic etc. details. Also tells you what lane to be in.
We gave a copy to cousins on their last trip south and they got slightly off track because the navigator was reading the incidental details instead of telling hubby where to go!
Book is updated every 2 years now.

David and Dayle

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/19 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a good book, but we won't be taking I75. Thanks.

-Speak

It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/19 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magnusfide wrote:

Since you like to see historic sites definitely work old St. Augustine into your itinerary. On the way to Anastasia SP - Cape Canaveral with the Sands Space History Center, the Kennedy Space Center Complex, and the US Air Force Space and Missile Museum.

Great tips. Thanks!

We do plan to visit St. Augustine while we're at Anastasia S.P. Saw the Kennedy Space Center last year. Had to! I'll look into your other tips.

-Speak

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/19 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Retired JSO wrote:

We are at Salt Springs Rec Area now. The campground is fully occupied almost every day. Today, it was 85 degrees and with spring break, there were over a hundred folks enjoying the 72 degree water.
[image]

Aw, man you're killing me. Can't wait. Nice photo!

-Speak

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Upcoming Florida Trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS