RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Any reason not to get a group 31 battery?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

 > Any reason not to get a group 31 battery?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

Senior Member

Joined: 03/16/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/10/19 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you never dry camp there is no benefit.

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

Senior Member

Joined: 11/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/10/19 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DinTulsa wrote:

I guess I worded my original post wrong. Is there any benefit of a group 31 battery if I never dry camp?


Not really.


Dan- Firefighter">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes


htss

Colorado

Full Member

Joined: 05/21/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/10/19 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

May want to consider the weight of the 31's. May be easier to move two 24's separately vs one 31.


2012 Chevy 2500HD DA - 2009 Open Range (33.5' fifth wheel) - B&W Companion - 40 gallon aux tank - Myself, wife and two kids

SoundGuy

S Ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 02/11/2015

View Profile



Posted: 03/10/19 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DinTulsa wrote:

I guess I worded my original post wrong. Is there any benefit of a group 31 battery if I never dry camp?


Rather than put extra $$ into a Group 31 and a box it'll fit in you might consider investing in a Group 24 AGM which is sealed and therefore requires no attention to fluid levels. K.I.S.S. [emoticon]

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/11/19 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

countrykids wrote:

Will it fit in your battery box?


That would be the only reason I can think of but since you say you can replace the box....

Why not go first class. a pair of GC-2 in series (or a GC-12.. just one of those).

Group 31 is about 130 amp hours and no matter what my opposition says if it is a MARINE/deep cycle I'd not use more than 1/4 of that capacity

GC-2.. Well you can get 210-220-230 amp hour sizes (I have DEKA G-20's just now they are a GC-2 size. 230 amp hour) and use half of it safely.

THey do a better job of recovering from an "OH C***! level discharge as well (mine have once since I bought 'em the original batteries about 4 times.. MARINE/deep cycle once if you are lucky.)

THe GC-`11 is around 150 Amp Hour as I recall but do not quote me on that as .... Frankly I'm not sure... IT's a 12 volt GOLF CAR battery. all the advantages of the GC-2 but smaller capacity and a single battery if you are more comfortable with that. Most Golf Car places will have 'em.


Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377


SoundGuy

S Ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 02/11/2015

View Profile



Posted: 03/11/19 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Why not go first class. a pair of GC-2 in series ...


Nothing "first class" about a pair of 6 volt batteries when the OP says he never dry camps - it's a total waste of $$$. [emoticon] He'd get a FAR better return on his investment by putting any extra $$$ into a single G24 AGM battery which can be placed anywhere, requires no venting, and doesn't have to be watered as does a flooded. It will serve all his basic 12 vdc needs just fine and require no attention other than plugging the trailer into shore power periodically so the converter can maintain a proper charge on the battery. Win - Win. [emoticon]


2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

drsteve

Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 06/09/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/11/19 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DinTulsa wrote:

I guess I worded my original post wrong. Is there any benefit of a group 31 battery if I never dry camp?


No. If you're always hooked up, the battery only has to remain charged to run your electric slide if you have one, or operate the emergency breakaway braking system. Any 12V battery will do.


2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

Senior Member

Joined: 11/24/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/11/19 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When the day comes when you need more power, for whatever reason, you won't have it.


Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

SoundGuy

S Ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 02/11/2015

View Profile



Posted: 03/11/19 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

When the day comes when you need more power, for whatever reason, you won't have it.


Oh the horror of it all! [emoticon]

For full timers, sure a dual battery reserve can be advantageous but for those of us who recreational camp a few days at a time and normally with shore power anything more than a single battery is WAY overkill. We've been doing this for 20 yrs, typically may lose campsite shore power a couple times each season but so what? Miraculous as it may seem I've never owned any trailer with more than one battery yet we've managed to survive just fine - how could that be?! [emoticon] [emoticon]

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/11/19 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He may never dry camp or boon dock but I recall a thread a few years back "BANG NO POWER" Two versions of that story. The OP had a plug fail (I had that happen too but no bang. just a ZZZZOOOT)

My version of Bang no power went like this.

An inattentive driver missed the fact the road curved.
What he did NOT miss was the power pole. Result BANG... No power

Also had a fuse fail

Also had an area wide power fail

Also had Digger O'Grady cut a primary feed to the park (Wish I'd seen him do it as I'm sure it was impressive but I was about a quarter mile from the dig site)

And that is just ME.. Oh and it is only a partial list of times I've been real happy I have like 500 amp hours of 12 volt.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

 > Any reason not to get a group 31 battery?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS