|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Redplacement Awning Fabric

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/19 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Bob, much better.

Just curious which material is better: vinyl, or acrylic? I also can't find what kind of material they use at Tough Top. Does anyone know? It looks like good stuff, but am really unsure. And a 5-year guarantee is decent enough. Although our OEM awning has lasted over 8 years.

I'm going to have to replace our main awning this spring, and looking for the best material. And since it's a 19' awning we'll be having it done. I'll have to do some checking on that too.

TIA for any advice and/or answers. I know the answers for which is better: acrylic or vinyl have probably been answered before. But this thread is active and I'm feeling lazy. [emoticon]

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Katdaddy

Petal, MS USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the suggestions. Gives me something to work with.

Little by little, one travels far - J.R.R. Tolkien
There ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them. - Mark Twain

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best awning I bought was a Care Free with the acrylic material. I Replaced the awning material with vinyl on my present trailer to save money. BIG mistake

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

SWoop2247

South Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/19 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought our replacement at Shadepro as well. Already installed it a couple of weekends ago. Perfect fit.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/19 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FlatBroke wrote:

The best awning I bought was a Care Free with the acrylic material. I Replaced the awning material with vinyl on my present trailer to save money. BIG mistake
While the feedback is certainly appreciated, it would be even better if you would expound on why you were displeased. Did it stretch, balloon, tear, rot out quickly, etc.? Did it not last as long as you thought it would? Was the warranty not usable?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to figure out what to use.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/19 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

FlatBroke wrote:

While the feedback is certainly appreciated, it would be even better if you would expound on why you were displeased. Did it stretch, balloon, tear, rot out quickly, etc.? Did it not last as long as you thought it would? Was the warranty not usable?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to figure out what to use.

Here's Carefree's take on it.

Clicky

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/19 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for that link to Carefree.

Hmm, they seem to say both of their fabrics are terrific. Doesn't seem to help my decision though. [emoticon]

I'm kind of leaning toward ToughTops, but I'm unsure what their actual material is. They don't specifically state what their material is made from, or I simply couldn't find it. I may have to send them a query.

bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/19 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12RYder, Tyler from Tough Top sent me some pieces of the different colors they have available. That would let you see the material.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/19 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobsallyh wrote:

fj12RYder, Tyler from Tough Top sent me some pieces of the different colors they have available. That would let you see the material.
Thanks Bobsallyh, I'll hit them with an email and see what's what.

Our regular place to get work done is not sure of their status for a few days, they are right near the levee on the Missouri river a bit south of St. Joseph, so they could be underwater. We'll have to wait and see, and hope for the best.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Redplacement Awning Fabric
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS