RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: residential refrigerator vs normal RV fridge/freezer

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> residential refrigerator vs normal RV fridge/freezer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
elwood58

Orange County CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have residential fridge with inverter and 4 GC2 batteries. I start fridge cooling when I pick up at storage. Plug into 110v when I get to the house. Freezer at -2°and Fridge at 38° in two hours or less. Alternator keeps batteries up while driving. When boondocking I use a combination of solar (portable 240w) and Generator. I run generator until I hit float, so longer in the morning (2.5 hours) than afternoon when solar has helped. We leave an LED Lamp on in the living room all night, watch TV and support all the other parasitic loads.

We have the Samsung RF18 and a Magnum 2000w pure sine inverter/converter. Setting converter to max charge current reduces generator run time. When I first fire it up in the morning, it puts about 100 amps back into the batteries during the bulk phase of charging.

We love having so much room, and rarely fill the fridge to capacity. We make ice while driving or on shore power. Ice Maker is turned off when boondocking.

2016 Fleetwood Bounder 33C

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since I do mostly boon docking and cant stand the sound of generators I'm in the Gas Refer camp. Any solar I have is going to keep my 4 each 6v batteries up so if it gets cold I and need to use the furnace, I can. Personally I don't see the day when I go to a 110v refer for camping.

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Denali, stock....for now. 2015 Creekside 20fq w/300 watts solar. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vintage465 wrote:

Since I do mostly boon docking and cant stand the sound of generators I'm in the Gas Refer camp. .
x2. Good decision.

I would suspect the RV mfrs are going residential for the universal reason: cost. (and that most RVers don't boondock)

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

elwood58 wrote:

We love having so much room, and rarely fill the fridge to capacity. We make ice while driving or on shore power. Ice Maker is turned off when boondocking.

I would think that you would want the ice maker turned OFF when driving. When it goes to fill the trays with water, it would spill all over.

I see no reason to turn it off when boondocking. I use ice when boondocking. Water use would depend on how much ice you used.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't let the word 'upgrade' fog your mind. Residential compressor is lower cost option.

Great when plugged in. Makes off-grid camping a bigger effort.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WTW wrote:

I like a trailer which is on a dealer lot only 30 min. From my house, but it has an upgraded residential refrigerator? I’m told it runs on 110 and 12v inverter. But not propane. I’m skeptical of this set up? Please give me your thoughts? Pros and cons?

The big win of a residential refrigerator over an RV refrigerator is that it perform that same regardless of the outside temperature. Or to say it another way, the freezer section works well even in very high temperatures.

The down side is the batteries. At a minimum you need two batteries and I would recommend two 6V golf cart batteries. If you boondock/dry camp you will need a solar setup or a generator to recharge the batteries.

My next RV will have a residential refrigerator !

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

I would suspect the RV mfrs are going residential for the universal reason: cost. (and that most RVers don't boondock)

This !

Also newcomers will be happier with the performance of a residential refrigerator in hot weather !

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like to go dry camping for a weekend or up to 4 days. I have 2 deep cycle golf cart batteries, no solar, and no generator. I love my gas fridge because I never have to worry about power.

That being said I have a good fridge with the temperature control on the eyebrow (front panel) . My brother has a new 5th wheel and it came with one of those gas fridges with no temperature control at all. You are just suppose to slide the thermister that is attached to the fins on the back of the fridge up and down to control the temp. His fridge doesn't work very well and will not keep things cold. He wishes that he had a residential.

So it depends on the type of camping you do and how good of fridge you have.

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

filrupmark wrote:

We converted our fiver to residential and have 0 regrets. Residential is a much better refrigerator.

Do you do any off grid camping, though?

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Dachshund (RIP)
www.thetravelingkoala.blogspot.com
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg

And Blue Ox WDH/Sway Control

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 09:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got a Resi fridge in my TT, and I'm very happy with it. We are normally in a campground with power so batteries are not really a concern. I have 2 golf cart batteries, and they run the fridge fine, while driving the truck keeps them charged, and the batteries last overnight easily.

We keep the camper at a storage lot, and when I get to the lot I flip on the batteries, and the inverter, and by the time I get hooked up and drive the 5 miles to the house the fridge is already getting cold. No need to go by the storage place ahead of time like with the propane fridges.

Also you can camp in 100 degree weather, and still have ice cream with no worries.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 213k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> residential refrigerator vs normal RV fridge/freezer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS