|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Mileage on used class A

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/19 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks fire up. Very good info and exactly what I am looking for.
I’m not against any other engine, I juts know the Cummins well because I’m a tech at a Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram dealer. And it sounds like the air suspension operated the same as the cars just a bigger system.
And I know the principle of air brakes just never had to work on or deal with them. So all
Your info is good.
Same goes for the “Jake brake”. Our Cummins use an exhaust brake, and then they switched over to the variable vane turbos (which I know can have their own issue) but that’s usually on trucks that aren’t driven hard!
I have read about the radiator location. I know it can make a difference but I’m not going to let it affect a purchase decision, same goes for the engine manuf.

I appreciate all the input, I think we are going to go out and look at some this weekend.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/19 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also be aware, lots of people will tell you otherwise and none of them will be in uniforms, that even if your state exempts you from needing a special endorsement on your drivers license for air brakes it is an 'equipment issue' and it is NOT covered by drivers license reciprocity.

However, it's kind of like speeding, you may get away with it for decades, or you might not.

I know for example PA and TX require an air brake endorsement, ditto all of Canada.

I know this because I had to help out a friend a few years back when he got stopped in Ontario in his US plated M/H and they wouldn't allow him to proceed without a 'validly licensed' driver. I drove him back across the border at Niagara Falls where he got back behind the wheel.

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/19 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Thanks fire up. Very good info and exactly what I am looking for.
I’m not against any other engine, I juts know the Cummins well because I’m a tech at a Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram dealer. And it sounds like the air suspension operated the same as the cars just a bigger system.
And I know the principle of air brakes just never had to work on or deal with them. So all
Your info is good.
Same goes for the “Jake brake”. Our Cummins use an exhaust brake, and then they switched over to the variable vane turbos (which I know can have their own issue) but that’s usually on trucks that aren’t driven hard!
I have read about the radiator location. I know it can make a difference but I’m not going to let it affect a purchase decision, same goes for the engine manuf.

I appreciate all the input, I think we are going to go out and look at some this weekend.

If I might add a bit, keep in mind that both Jacobs and Pac make both types of aux. brakes, so saying that Jake is a compression brake only, and that Pac is an exhaust brake only, is false and like saying that Channel Lock are the only people, that make right angle pliers.
Then there's the never ending saga of the side radiator and again with repeating myself, left me say that this isn't just about where the radiator is located. Otherwise, they wouldn't cost a $100k more and up. It's the very last thing a coach manufacture spends their dollars on, so it makes for better quality throughout and from top to bottom. This includes the whole interior from the cabinetry, the leather.....etc...etc.... and of course the upgraded chassis and most likely a more powerful engine.
So, in a nutshell, if quality is first and foremost on your list, then look in the rear firstly and if you can't see the engine, move on, without going inside. They all cost the same per a particular budget anyway, just the year model get's changed.
Example...and when we last purchased, a 13 Newmar Canyon Star, was going to cost us more, than we paid for our 07 Revolution. Are you kidding me and talk about a no brainer. The comparison between the two, could very well be, the reason for coining these words.

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

dcbrewer

kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/19 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 06 36D Pace Arrow That we bought new, has 20,000 miles, and has been garaged when not in use. We only use it about 3 weeks a year. But i get it out and drive it about 20 miles every month, to keep everything lubed. PM if interested.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Mileage on used class A
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS